• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bburiens Trespas Ordinance Address Disturbances

Bill Starks

State Researcher
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/buriens-trespass-ordinance-address-disturbances-pu/ng74s/
The ordinance language calls for a trespass warning for any conduct that is “dangerous, unsafe, illegal, or unreasonably disruptive to other uses of public property.”
That includes hostile or aggressive language or gestures, boisterous behavior, using electronics in a way that disrupts others, wearing insufficient clothing or bodily hygiene or scent that is offensive to others.

The Burien city manager, Kamuron Gurol, told KIRO 7 the council “really tried to strike the balance – not getting in the way of someone’s legitimate use, as protected by higher laws, constitutional provisions, but also making sure that the environment is safe for everyone.”

“It’s not targeted at homeless people. It’s targeted at anyone who would engage in behavior that’s unsafe, or dangerous, or unreasonably disruptive,” Gurol said.

I can see it now... a group of us Open Carrying at a BBQ and some Moms person calls it in....

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

It's like someone took an advanced course in how to write unconstitutionally vague stuff that has such high potential for "unindended consequences". Either that or someone's spinster aunt was given free rein. I could not get through the definitions without stopping several times to laugh.

The "appeal" process has me seriously considering a trip there in order to get issued a trespass warning just so I can split the damages award with some unethical attorney. (They would have to be unethical to charge the usual 30%/70% split for something so easy.)

But I'm curious - what set off the city fathers/mothers that they felt the need for banning people? Local people - any response?

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
From what I read, its an ordinance specifically made to attend to the homeless' needs (when a politician says an ordinance is not meant to target a specific group, then you know that it is). It will undoubtedly be perverted almost instantaneously by the cops.

For those Americans who wish to have a OC BBQ I would suggest that they dress like the homeless. Expect 32 tanks and 400 swat teams to descend upon you.