• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sportsman's Permit in Pa

Ewade3

Hi all. New to this forum. I just turned 18, and my father bought me a smith and wesson m&p .40. I went to the county treasurer's office and got my Sportsman's permit, but I'm confused on some of the laws. Am I correct that I cannot have it loaded in a vehicle? And during archery season, shouldn't I be able to open carry it even though that the hunter's digest says a sportsman's permit doesn't allow carrying during archery season? I should be able to open carry anywhere as per PA law. Also, say I'm fishing, but I decide to go but a drink (on foot) at a gas station that is nearby. Do I need to unload my pistol, stop carrying it, or do nothing? Because technically I am still on my way to where I am fishing. And when I'm open carrying, can my handgun be loaded? I know this is a lot, but I am really excited about being able to lawfully carry now and I want to be 100% legal and aware of my rights. Thanks everyone!

Steve in PA

1) Sportsman's Permit does NOT allow you to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle.

2) The problem with the Sportsman's Permit is that it is not mentioned anywhere in the Game Code. It is only mentioned in the Uniform Firearms Act. Basically, you have two set of rules. However, when it comes to hunting, the PGC is going to fall back on their rules. Therefore, when archery hunting and spotlighting, you are going to need the license to carry firearms. Open carry, while legal as far as UFA, hunting is a restricted activity and open carry would be a no-go while archery hunting.

3) The Sportsman's Permit covers you for concealed carry while hunting, fishing or trapping. Going to or coming from those places you plan on hunting, fishing or trapping. So, if you are fishing and carrying concealed under the provisions of the SP, walking to a store for a soda would NOT be covered. Of course, you could open carry at this point and be legal.

4) When carrying openly, the firearm can be loaded.

knight0334

The Sportsmans Permit is only valid going directly to, from, and during hunting/fishing/trapping/dog training while you possess the appropriate license for those sporting activities.

The Uniform Firearms Act doesn't require the handgun be unloaded while in a vehicle. However Game Laws do require the handgun to be unloaded while transporting in a vehicle without a full LTCF. The Game Laws stating such only pertain to hunting, trapping, and dog training. The Fish & Boat Laws(a whole other title of law) do not require the handgun to be unloaded during transport.

Certain hunting seasons/activities like archery and muzzleloader, and spot lighting, require a LTCF(a full carry license) even if carried openly - so the SP is not valid during those seasons or activities. ...that is because of the Game Laws.

During other regular firearms seasons/activities you can carry concealed or openly with the Sportsmans Permit. No law or regulation requires you to carry openly when you have a SP. Title 18, Chapter 61, Subchapter 6106 is the sole article of law the regulates the method of carry, and the Sportsman Permit is exempt under 6106(c) during the activities listed under 6106(b)(9) and (10) (hunting/fishing/trapping and dog training respectively). So do not let anyone tell you that you cannot conceal with a SP during those activities. That is the whole point of the Sportsmans Permit because the regulated acts under 6106(a) are concealment and vehicle carry.

Outside of archery/muzzlerloader/spotlighting, the City of Philadelphia, and when there is no declared state of emergency - if you carry openly and do not get in/on/upon a vehicle, you do not need any permit/license because open carry is de facto legal.

If you are going fishing - you can carry that handgun loaded in a vehicle while going DIRECTLY to/from your fishing hole.

Michael Rogers

PGC Law

Hi all. New to this forum. I just turned 18, and my father bought me a smith and wesson m&p .40. I went to the county treasurer's office and got my Sportsman's permit, but I'm confused on some of the laws. Am I correct that I cannot have it loaded in a vehicle? And during archery season, shouldn't I be able to open carry it even though that the hunter's digest says a sportsman's permit doesn't allow carrying during archery season? I should be able to open carry anywhere as per PA law. Also, say I'm fishing, but I decide to go but a drink (on foot) at a gas station that is nearby. Do I need to unload my pistol, stop carrying it, or do nothing? Because technically I am still on my way to where I am fishing. And when I'm open carrying, can my handgun be loaded? I know this is a lot, but I am really excited about being able to lawfully carry now and I want to be 100% legal and aware of my rights. Thanks everyone!

The Sportsman's permit, only allows you to hunt with a revolver, semiautomatic are not aloud, you must follow PGC laws
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/pgc/9106

Bill PA

1) Sportsman's Permit does NOT allow you to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle.

2) The problem with the Sportsman's Permit is that it is not mentioned anywhere in the Game Code. It is only mentioned in the Uniform Firearms Act. Basically, you have two set of rules. However, when it comes to hunting, the PGC is going to fall back on their rules. Therefore, when archery hunting and spotlighting, you are going to need the license to carry firearms. Open carry, while legal as far as UFA, hunting is a restricted activity and open carry would be a no-go while archery hunting.

3) The Sportsman's Permit covers you for concealed carry while hunting, fishing or trapping. Going to or coming from those places you plan on hunting, fishing or trapping. So, if you are fishing and carrying concealed under the provisions of the SP, walking to a store for a soda would NOT be covered. Of course, you could open carry at this point and be legal.

I thought the sportsmans permit allowed you to carry loaded and concealed in a vehicle while going to or coming from, isnt it an exception?

davidmcbeth

Banned
OP should be working to get these stupid gun laws off the books entirely. They are nothing but traps and violate his natural rights.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

The Sportsmans Permit is only valid going directly to, from, and during hunting/fishing/trapping/dog training while you possess the appropriate license for those sporting activities.

The Uniform Firearms Act doesn't require the handgun be unloaded while in a vehicle. However Game Laws do require the handgun to be unloaded while transporting in a vehicle without a full LTCF. The Game Laws stating such only pertain to hunting, trapping, and dog training. The Fish & Boat Laws(a whole other title of law) do not require the handgun to be unloaded during transport.

Certain hunting seasons/activities like archery and muzzleloader, and spot lighting, require a LTCF(a full carry license) even if carried openly - so the SP is not valid during those seasons or activities. ...that is because of the Game Laws.

During other regular firearms seasons/activities you can carry concealed or openly with the Sportsmans Permit. No law or regulation requires you to carry openly when you have a SP. Title 18, Chapter 61, Subchapter 6106 is the sole article of law the regulates the method of carry, and the Sportsman Permit is exempt under 6106(c) during the activities listed under 6106(b)(9) and (10) (hunting/fishing/trapping and dog training respectively). So do not let anyone tell you that you cannot conceal with a SP during those activities. That is the whole point of the Sportsmans Permit because the regulated acts under 6106(a) are concealment and vehicle carry.

Outside of archery/muzzlerloader/spotlighting, the City of Philadelphia, and when there is no declared state of emergency - if you carry openly and do not get in/on/upon a vehicle, you do not need any permit/license because open carry is de facto legal.

If you are going fishing - you can carry that handgun loaded in a vehicle while going DIRECTLY to/from your fishing hole.

I thought the sportsmans permit allowed you to carry loaded and concealed in a vehicle while going to or coming from, isnt it an exception?
Side trips/stops along the way are not allowed under the terms of a sportsman's permit.