• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

River Valley Bank thank you

Wstar425

Open carry into the local River Valley Bank branch several times a week. Last trip customer service gal came up and said they really like it when I come in with a visible firearm. There had been an armed bank robbery somewhere east of Wausau the day before that I was unaware of as I was trucking across the country. I didn't mention that I'm not their hired armed guard, so what my response would be might vary. But, I suppose the deterrent factor might come into play. I just said that was good to hear.

I had always felt they were a bit too friendly, not over the top, but just a little more than maybe needed. I just wrote it off to a small town and being married to somebody most people know of. What a breath of fresh air compared to our last one bank town with no gun signs on the door.

I've noticed you get an extra healthy dose of double takes when people see you walking into a bank with a visible firearm, but rarely does anyone ask me about it there. I walk my dog three times a day 3 miles each (yes, 9 miles) time when I am home on the Bearskin Trail and rarely do I not have someone ask me about it. Lots of Illinois terrorists up here, they usually do a quick turn and head for their car!!

I also met Rudy Silbaugh, a retired Wisconsin Assemblyman (R) from Edgerton, and his wife at the Windmill Ice Cream Shoppe. We had a nice long talk, she asked me if I was a policeman. I'm training a Greman Shephed puppy, I get that a lot. I'm not. Talked about everything from Obama to the weather, to guns to fishing. Felt like I knew him my entire life. He said the WI legislature was like a bunch of second graders kicking sand on the playground, which made me laugh!

Last edited:

Yetiman

I also met Rudy Silbaugh, a retired Wisconsin Assemblyman (R) from Edgerton, Talked about everything from Obama to the weather, to guns to fishing. Felt like I knew him my entire life. He said the WI legislature was like a bunch of second graders kicking sand on the playground, which made me laugh!

That's why he made it as a politician.

Wstar425

A 6 inch L frame does stick out a bit

Yes, tis true!

I had the Sig IWB at the bank. The 686 50/50 on the trail, if chance of rain. Lots of questions about possibility of meeting bears. Not much. I'm convinced by the different reaction I get depending on type of carry that 90 percent of people never notice the IWB carry, especiqlly with a black or wild patterned shirt. I've started calling it Discreet Open Carry. If you CAN see it, it's not concealed. If you DON'T see it, well, is that really my problem that you're not paying attention? So far, it hasn't been.

I have a custom holster coming for the P229 with laser for my wife, then she will dump the Ruger. She's coming around, I was told we're getting a portrait taken with firearms visible to put in her office. I hate getting my picture taken, but this sounds interesting. I'll see you get one!

Wstar425

That's why he made it as a politician.

Discovered in our conversation that our former pastor is their current pastor. His wife asked if she could give me a hug before they left. So there is this 70ish year old, 5 foot 90 pound woman hugging a 225 pound 6'2" bearded man, carrying a handgun, holding the leash to a 70 pound German Shepherd, who she had only first met 30 minutes earlier.

It just struck as kind of, I don't know, bizarre? I did check to be sure I still had my wallet afterwards, they were politicians after all.

Law abider

I also met Rudy Silbaugh, a retired Wisconsin Assemblyman (R) from Edgerton, and his wife at the Windmill Ice Cream Shoppe. We had a nice long talk, she asked me if I was a policeman.

I OC at my Associated Bank frequently. Have had no complaints so far. Also a stor clerk asked me if I was a cop. I said no. Was going to vote to re elect our old sheriff. was able to educate her on @a/ Bill parks for sheriff and the constitution bec I had one in the back pocket, Article 1 section 8 on the militia and the 10A and Mac/Prinz vs US, the SCOTUS ruling to help her understand why the Sheriff cannot be bound to Fed regulations and why the Brady bill was thrown out.

Last edited:

1FASTC4

Open carry into the local River Valley Bank branch several times a week. Last trip customer service gal came up and said they really like it when I come in with a visible firearm. There had been an armed bank robbery somewhere east of Wausau the day before that I was unaware of as I was trucking across the country. I didn't mention that I'm not their hired armed guard, so what my response would be might vary. But, I suppose the deterrent factor might come into play. I just said that was good to hear.

I had always felt they were a bit too friendly, not over the top, but just a little more than maybe needed. I just wrote it off to a small town and being married to somebody most people know of. What a breath of fresh air compared to our last one bank town with no gun signs on the door.

I've noticed you get an extra healthy dose of double takes when people see you walking into a bank with a visible firearm, but rarely does anyone ask me about it there. I walk my dog three times a day 3 miles each (yes, 9 miles) time when I am home on the Bearskin Trail and rarely do I not have someone ask me about it. Lots of Illinois terrorists up here, they usually do a quick turn and head for their car!!

I also met Rudy Silbaugh, a retired Wisconsin Assemblyman (R) from Edgerton, and his wife at the Windmill Ice Cream Shoppe. We had a nice long talk, she asked me if I was a policeman. I'm training a Greman Shephed puppy, I get that a lot. I'm not. Talked about everything from Obama to the weather, to guns to fishing. Felt like I knew him my entire life. He said the WI legislature was like a bunch of second graders kicking sand on the playground, which made me laugh!
'

Heheh take my kids to the windmill frequently. I have OC'd thereof course, but don't think anyone really noticed.

Wstar425

Well if you see a guy walking a German Shepherd there, say hi. I usually have a CAT hat of some sort on. I travel out of town every other week, but when I am home I walk the trail every day. I live 1/2 mile north of the Windmill.