• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possession while awaiting trial?

TFred

This may have been covered here, but I have never paid much attention to this area of the law, because I never needed to. And I know I'll get good answers.

Friend of mine is awaiting trial for a felony charge, which they plan to plea down to a misdemeanor. No drugs, no violence, no domestic issues.

Question is, may he possess a firearm while awaiting trial? He knows he cannot purchase, it's the first test on the list at the State Police website. Unclear on possession of owned firearms. Would like to see cites of course, if there are any.

Thanks for any help.

TFred

P.S. Of course I suggested he ask his attorney, but apparently the guy is not too gun-savvy... didn't really give him an answer.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This may have been covered here, but I have never paid much attention to this area of the law, because I never needed to. And I know I'll get good answers.

Friend of mine is awaiting trial for a felony charge, which they plan to plea down to a misdemeanor. No drugs, no violence, no domestic issues.

Question is, may he possess a firearm while awaiting trial? He knows he cannot purchase, it's the first test on the list at the State Police website. Unclear on possession of owned firearms. Would like to see cites of course, if there are any.

Thanks for any help.

TFred

P.S. Of course I suggested he ask his attorney, but apparently the guy is not too gun-savvy... didn't really give him an answer.

I don't have a cite TFred so take it as opinion only.
If you're talking about possession as in I have them in the safe or rack....he hasn't been convicted of anything and is not a prohibited person.

If you're talking about carry....that's a bad idea especially since the CA apparently is willing to deal.... and since your friend is willing to accept the deal...is guilty of something.

In other words, don't rock the boat in heavy seas.

Last edited:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Purchase, possession, and transportation of a firearm while under felony indictment

A recent posting at OpenCarry.org reveals that, when asked by clients, many defense attorneys are themselves not completely sure of the effects of an indictment on the accused’s right to purchase, possess, or transport firearms.

But an understanding of this issue is crucial for the person being indicted since a misstep can lead to additional charges, bail being revoked, and plea bargain offers being withdrawn.

Let’s take a quick look at state and federal laws that are on-point …

Read more at The Law Office of John Pierce, Esq.

Last edited:

TFred

A recent posting at OpenCarry.org reveals that, when asked by clients, many defense attorneys are themselves not completely sure of the effects of an indictment on the accused’s right to purchase, possess, or transport firearms.

But an understanding of this issue is crucial for the person being indicted since a misstep can lead to additional charges, bail being revoked, and plea bargain offers being withdrawn.

That's awesome John, thank you very much!

TFred

davidmcbeth

Banned

Remember, at trial and pre-trial, many lawyers file motions .. and 1/2 of them lose the motion ..