Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: printing RAS

  1. #1
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188

    printing RAS

    Would printing while concealed be RAS for officers to stop you. would the wind blowing your shirt so that your firearm became visible be RAS?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  2. #2
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    I would say not because there isn't likely a cop in the nations cc states that can honestly document any history of finding unlawful ccers using holsters. Ras requires ras and I don't see that there is any.

    Of course in Michigan the law would require disclosure anyway but you certainly could file a lawsuit over it later, not that it'd go far
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  3. #3
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845
    I really doubt it and here is why. It is lawful to carry a gun concealed if you have a licence in MI. Further numerous scotus rulings have stated that the presence of a firearm absent other facts rising to the level of reasonable suspicion which is more than a hunch or feeling...is not grounds for detaining someone.

    As for disclosure that only comes in if you are detained. Since an officer technically can at any time ask to see your CPL really he wouldn't have to detain you and wait to see if you would disclose. He could simply ask to see your CPL and you would have to show it to him. If he saw your gun printing in MI this is the case.. Most other states without disclosure laws he would need evidence of a crime to initiate any more than consensual conversation.

    Note I said show him your CPL not give him your CPL. Important distinction.. Make him write down the number if he feels he must run it. You May have to show ID as well if requested when CCing.

    IMOP INAL
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  4. #4
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Just because the LEO sees what he suspects may be a gun how does he reasonably suspect the carrier has no permit.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  5. #5
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845
    He doesn't have to in MI... If he thinks you should need a CPL he can ask to see it.

    Exerp from section 28 of the penal code. Upon request, an individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a police officer:
    His or her license to carry a concealed pistol
    His or her driver license or personal identification card
    Failure to show CCW license and Michigan driver license or Michigan personal identification card when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and $100.00 fine.

    This part stands alone and does not require the officer to do anything but ask.
    Last edited by autosurgeon; 08-26-2014 at 12:51 AM.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  6. #6
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845
    Note if you are not carrying concealed you don't have to disclose or show a CPL or ID. Unless you are OCing in a pistol free zone while in possession of a CPL. Then it may be wise to show your CPL rather than going to jail to prove a point. As your CPL is your exemption from possession charges in a PFZ.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  7. #7
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    How is it not being detained if you are not free to go because you have to show your id? That's news to me
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  8. #8
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845
    My point was they don't have to detain you for anything else and wait for you to disclose. They can simply immediately ask to see your CPL and ID and you must show them. No lengthy detention. No why am I being detained back and forth No wash rinse repeat. If you don't present CPL and ID you are investigated and ticketed for a civil infraction and will pay a 100.00 fine. Likely your gun would be taken and perhaps not given back on the spot. All sorts of unpleasant time wasting going to get it back.

    I don't agree with the law however since it is the law I follow it for the time and work to get it removed.

    So in short in MI if you have a CPL and CC you give up the right to not show ID if an officer were to decide to ask to see your CPL for some reason while you are CCing. As you must have your ID and your CPL and must show them both upon request. No where does it say that the officer needs any special reason to request just that they must be shown upon request.

    And while this is likely a detention it could be the shortest on record... I had this happen once and literally it took less than a minute and the officer said thanks have a nice day and that was it. The longest part was me digging out my CPL as it was stuck in my wallet window.. Humid day.
    Last edited by autosurgeon; 08-26-2014 at 10:03 AM.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  9. #9
    Regular Member F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The High Plains of Wyoming
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    He doesn't have to in MI... If he thinks you should need a CPL he can ask to see it.

    Exerp from section 28 of the penal code. Upon request, an individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a police officer:
    His or her license to carry a concealed pistol
    His or her driver license or personal identification card
    Failure to show CCW license and Michigan driver license or Michigan personal identification card when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and $100.00 fine.

    This part stands alone and does not require the officer to do anything but ask.

    Yep it stands apart AND in direct violation of established SCOTUS and other Federal Court precedents.

    United States v. Ubiles, 224 F.3d 213 (3d Cir. 2000) declares that possession of a firearm in public, with no other circumstances present, does
    not justify a stop. "For all the officers knew, even assuming the reliability of the tip that Ubiles
    possessed a gun, Ubiles was . . . lawfully exercising his right . . . to possess a gun in public." See
    also United States v. Dudley, 854 F. Supp. 570 (S.D.Ind. 1994), in which the court declared that
    a report of persons with guns did not justify an investigative stop. "In short, the Government
    failed to establish . . . that some reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, based on articulable
    facts, justified this seizure. And, if the stop itself is unlawful, neither Terry nor Michigan v.
    Long authorize the police to search the suspects or the suspect's vehicle for weapons, even if the
    officers reasonably fear for their safety."

    Likewise, the U.S. Supreme Court in Florida v. J.L., 529 U.S. 266 (2000), declared that there is
    no "gun exception" to the Fourth Amendment


    "Stopping a car for no other reason than to check the license and registration was unreasonable under the 4th amendment."
    Delaware v. Prouse, 440 U.S. 648 (1979).

    How is stopping someone just to check CCW any different than stopping someone just for a DL check??? Both are activities requiring a government permission slip.
    Last edited by F350; 08-26-2014 at 10:44 AM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845
    In order to get this stopped you would need someone to refuse to show CPL and get busted twice. The reason is the first time is simply a civil infraction. Then you would need to either take it all the way to the MI Supreme Court and win or win in the appeals court and have the case stop there... Or you would need to figure out how to get the case into federal court and hope you could win there.

    The issue is while it would appear the situations are similar and should apply there is no legal case law that says it does. Also you would need the scotus to hear it and rule or your case law would only help a small area. And that would be no easy feat.


    This is a complicated mess and there is no easy answer.
    Last edited by autosurgeon; 08-26-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  11. #11
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    The easier thing to do is to record the stop, make sure you don't legalize it with permission, then foia all of the documentation about the stop, then make a series of complaints for them detaining you without ras. Changing it may be outside our reach but retaliating for their abuse of power isn't.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  12. #12
    Regular Member NHCGRPR45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chesterfield Township, MI
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    My point was they don't have to detain you for anything else and wait for you to disclose. They can simply immediately ask to see your CPL and ID and you must show them. No lengthy detention. No why am I being detained back and forth No wash rinse repeat. If you don't present CPL and ID you are investigated and ticketed for a civil infraction and will pay a 100.00 fine. Likely your gun would be taken and perhaps not given back on the spot. All sorts of unpleasant time wasting going to get it back.

    I don't agree with the law however since it is the law I follow it for the time and work to get it removed.

    So in short in MI if you have a CPL and CC you give up the right to not show ID if an officer were to decide to ask to see your CPL for some reason while you are CCing. As you must have your ID and your CPL and must show them both upon request. No where does it say that the officer needs any special reason to request just that they must be shown upon request.

    And while this is likely a detention it could be the shortest on record... I had this happen once and literally it took less than a minute and the officer said thanks have a nice day and that was it. The longest part was me digging out my CPL as it was stuck in my wallet window.. Humid day.
    Very similar thing happened to me last winter. I was at the 7-11 at Gratiot and Hall rd around 0630 and I had my dads coat on. Its bigger than mine and not as tight fitting, there was a strong wind that day. A Macomb County Sheriff was walking to his vehicle he looked at me did a double take then continued to his cruiser. I thought nothing of it and went inside. As I was getting my coffee the same officer came in with his partner, he looked right at me and bumped his buddy nodding in my direction. I knew at that point I was going to have an interaction with leos so I put my coffee down and waited for them to walk over. The officer that saw me outside asked if I had a gun on me. I asked if I was being stopped he said yes so I disclosed. He said he was stopping me because he noticed that when he was walking by he saw my gun. I said that I normally open carry but the wind must have blown my coat over it. He apologized for bothering me and we shook hands, his partner also shook my hand and said, he was pretty sure I was legal but backed up his partner. I asked if he wanted to see my Id's he said "nope your good have a great day" I told them to be safe and do the same.

    Pretty good interaction, but still I go that gas station everyday and there are almost always 4 or more MCS officers there and I always say hello to the ones I see regularly. I hadn't seen this one but I know I have seen his partner before several times. Anyway, unintentionally I concealed they knew it was a crime to do so without a CPL and I had to disclose. That's another reason I prefer Open Carry, no disclosure needed! If I had been more careful I wouldn't have been stopped at all.
    Last edited by NHCGRPR45; 08-31-2014 at 11:36 PM.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

    Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

  13. #13
    Regular Member Evil Creamsicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Police State, USA
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    Very similar thing happened to me last winter. I was at the 7-11 at Gratiot and Hall rd around 0630 and I had my dads coat on. Its bigger than mine and not as tight fitting, there was a strong wind that day. A Macomb County Sheriff was walking to his vehicle he looked at me did a double take then continued to his cruiser. I thought nothing of it and went inside. As I was getting my coffee the same officer came in with his partner, he looked right at me and bumped his buddy nodding in my direction. I knew at that point I was going to have an interaction with leos so I put my coffee down and waited for them to walk over. The officer that saw me outside asked if I had a gun on me. I asked if I was being stopped he said yes so I disclosed. He said he was stopping me because he noticed that when he was walking by he saw my gun. I said that I normally open carry but the wind must have blown my coat over it. He apologized for bothering me and we shook hands, his partner also shook my hand and said, he was pretty sure I was legal but backed up his partner. I asked if he wanted to see my Id's he said "nope your good have a great day" I told them to be safe and do the same.

    Pretty good interaction, but still I go that gas station everyday and there are almost always 4 or more MCS officers there and I always say hello to the ones I see regularly. I hadn't seen this one but I know I have seen his partner before several times. Anyway, unintentionally I concealed they knew it was a crime to do so without a CPL and I had to disclose. That's another reason I prefer Open Carry, no disclosure needed! If I had been more careful I wouldn't have been stopped at all.
    If there is a legal way to do something, they should assume you're doing it that way though. They can't just pull you over because its illegal to drive without a license and you might not have one...

    I don't know... people think we're nitpicking when we bring this up but its an important distinction.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,139
    Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    My point was they don't have to detain you for anything else and wait for you to disclose. They can simply immediately ask to see your CPL and ID and you must show them. No lengthy detention. No why am I being detained back and forth No wash rinse repeat. If you don't present CPL and ID you are investigated and ticketed for a civil infraction and will pay a 100.00 fine. Likely your gun would be taken and perhaps not given back on the spot. All sorts of unpleasant time wasting going to get it back.

    I don't agree with the law however since it is the law I follow it for the time and work to get it removed.

    So in short in MI if you have a CPL and CC you give up the right to not show ID if an officer were to decide to ask to see your CPL for some reason while you are CCing. As you must have your ID and your CPL and must show them both upon request. No where does it say that the officer needs any special reason to request just that they must be shown upon request.

    And while this is likely a detention it could be the shortest on record... I had this happen once and literally it took less than a minute and the officer said thanks have a nice day and that was it. The longest part was me digging out my CPL as it was stuck in my wallet window.. Humid day.
    First I am not in Michigan, but I like to understand the Law.
    Let us say I have a Michigan resident Concealed Pistol License. I am on a street corner and I am NOT armed. I have the physical appearance of the general population (dress not a factor). Can a LEO who assumes I have a CPL ask me for my ID because he thinks I have a weapon? The law seems to read that a LEO has free reign over that kind of situation and that is not comfortable with me. Please correct me.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  15. #15
    Regular Member Evil Creamsicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Police State, USA
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    First I am not in Michigan, but I like to understand the Law.
    Let us say I have a Michigan resident Concealed Pistol License. I am on a street corner and I am NOT armed. I have the physical appearance of the general population (dress not a factor). Can a LEO who assumes I have a CPL ask me for my ID because he thinks I have a weapon? The law seems to read that a LEO has free reign over that kind of situation and that is not comfortable with me. Please correct me.
    If you are not armed, as in your example, you are not required to disclose ID. If you are armed only with an openly carried pistol [not a concealed pistol], you do not have to disclose. If you are armed with a concealed pistol, an officer may demand for you to show him your ID and concealed pistol license.

    Bold added for emphasis.

    Quote Originally Posted by 28.425f
    Concealed pistol license; possession; disclosure to peace officer; violation; penalty; notice to department and issuing board; seizure; forfeiture; "peace officer" defined.

    Sec. 5f.

    (1) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol shall have his or her license to carry that pistol in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology.

    (2) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology shall show both of the following to a peace officer upon request by that peace officer:

    (a) His or her license to carry a concealed pistol.

    (b) His or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card.

  16. #16
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Wowwie!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    First I am not in Michigan, but I like to understand the Law.
    Let us say I have a Michigan resident Concealed Pistol License. I am on a street corner and I am NOT armed. I have the physical appearance of the general population (dress not a factor). Can a LEO who assumes I have a CPL ask me for my ID because he thinks I have a weapon? The law seems to read that a LEO has free reign over that kind of situation and that is not comfortable with me. Please correct me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    If you are not armed, as in your example, you are not required to disclose ID. If you are armed only with an openly carried pistol [not a concealed pistol], you do not have to disclose. If you are armed with a concealed pistol, an officer may demand for you to show him your ID and concealed pistol license.

    Bold added for emphasis.
    Its not a problem with Michigan law,,,
    It is a problem with people that do Not exercise their 4th Amendment right against Unreasonable Search!!!
    If I or MSG Laigaie,,, are concealing, Properly, then the cop will NOT have the RAS necessary
    to Demand! the ,,,,, Papers Please!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  17. #17
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,507
    Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    ...He said he was stopping me because he noticed that when he was walking by he saw my gun. I said that I normally open carry but the wind must have blown my coat over it. He apologized for bothering me and we shook hands, his partner also shook my hand and said, he was pretty sure I was legal but backed up his partner. I asked if he wanted to see my Id's he said "nope your good have a great day" I told them to be safe and do the same.

    Pretty good interaction, but still I go that gas station everyday and there are almost always 4 or more MCS officers there and I always say hello to the ones I see regularly. I hadn't seen this one but I know I have seen his partner before several times. Anyway, unintentionally I concealed they knew it was a crime to do so without a CPL and I had to disclose. That's another reason I prefer Open Carry, no disclosure needed! If I had been more careful I wouldn't have been stopped at all.
    So absent a crime, he stopped you to see if you could receive a civil citation, worried you were a criminal, then didn't want to see your ID AND you shook his hand? Rights only work if you're friendly to Fascists, huh?

    Meanwhile, down the street from you that day, someone was committing an actual crime and got away...in theory...while they were investigating non-crimes, or at least non-felonies. Must be nice. Could be a method to get away with a crime. Hire a dozen CPL holders to wander around on the other side of town on a windy day...but I digress.
    Last edited by Maverick9; 09-02-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •