• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This open carrier for officer down true facts....

jsanchez

One of the arguments on the background check commercials is that it will make our officers safer, maybe. But what does our past tell us,

http://www.odmp.org/search/browse?state=WA

In the last 10 years there has been 10 officers killed, 5 in one year, and there were a couple of back to back years that no officers were killed.

Of the officers that were killed by guns, how many would have been saved by background checks. I say none. Prove me wrong.

OC for ME

Aircraft accident: 7
Animal related: 2
Assault: 9
Automobile accident: 21
Bomb: 1
Drowned: 7
Duty related illness: 4
Electrocuted: 1
Fall: 3
Gunfire: 146
Gunfire (Accidental): 12
Heart attack: 12
Motorcycle accident: 16
Stabbed: 4
Struck by train: 3
Struck by vehicle: 8
Vehicular assault: 13
Vehicle pursuit: 9

Jeff Hayes

Aircraft accident: 7
Animal related: 2
Assault: 9
Automobile accident: 21
Bomb: 1
Drowned: 7
Duty related illness: 4
Electrocuted: 1
Fall: 3
Gunfire: 146
Gunfire (Accidental): 12
Heart attack: 12
Motorcycle accident: 16
Stabbed: 4
Struck by train: 3
Struck by vehicle: 8
Vehicular assault: 13
Vehicle pursuit: 9

What time frame is this from? I ask because only 111 cops total were killed in 2013, only 33 from gunfire. 121 cops total were killed in 2012.

OC for ME

Cops would be better served to let citizens work out minor disagreements.

Why in the hell does a cop, or the state for that matter, need to get involved in a dispute between a dude with over grown grass in his front yard and his neighbor who does not like it.