Thread: Video: "F- the Second Amendment"

Banned

Video: "F- the Second Amendment"

--Moderator deleted video--

I love guns, and as a Lysander Spooner fan, I also love this video.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-26-2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Deleted video

From Spooner's perspective I guess it would make sense. But from the yellowed documents perspective which was not written for us to use, but to prevent that which Spooner didn't like, the government, from infringing upon our natural right.

Profanity, in my view, never strengthens a citizen's position.

Also, was the dude in his mom's basement?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    From Spooner's perspective I guess it would make sense. But from the yellowed documents perspective which was not written for us to use, but to prevent that which Spooner didn't like, the government, from infringing upon our natural right.
    Expecting a government to be stopped by a piece of paper is absurd. It hasn't worked so far.

Profanity, in my view, never strengthens a citizen's position.
    He's an artist.

Also, was the dude in his mom's basement?
    Since he's from Ontario and now lives in British Columbia, and is a successful caricature artist in his 40s, I highly doubt it. Anarchists who live in their parents' basement well into adulthood are generally "anarcho"communists, not anarcho-capitalists (as Victor Pross is).

The 2nd amendment is not a permission slip. It does not permit me to carry a gun; it never has.

Its sole purpose is to forbid government from infringing my right. I don't rely on the second amendment, but I won't say "F--- it", because it's one of the very few inoffensive aspects of our government.

It's true that many people view the Constitution as creating rights, but that does not change the intent of the Bill of Rights, nor does it change the preexisting nature of rights.
    Last edited by marshaul; 08-26-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Use of profanity/curse words is indicative of the users inability to converse in a reasonable and logical manner - it demonstrates their short coming.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    The 2nd amendment is not a permission slip. It does not permit me to carry a gun; it never has.

Its sole purpose is to forbid government from infringing my right. I don't rely on the second amendment, but I won't say "F--- it", because it's one of the very few inoffensive aspects of our government.

It's true that many people view the Constitution as creating rights, but that does not change the intent of the Bill of Rights, nor does it change the preexisting nature of rights.
    If getting some lawyer to cite politcians' scribbles will cause the state to leave us alone in one particular area, for now, then so be it. I recognize that that's being pragmatic.

However, "restoring the constitution" is not something to strive for.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Use of profanity/curse words is indicative of the users inability to converse in a reasonable and logical manner - it demonstrates their short coming.
    You should check out some of his caricature art. Being edgy is his niche.

Quote Originally Posted by state hater View Post
    However, "restoring the constitution" is not something to strive for.
    "Restoring" the Bill of Rights is certainly preferable to the disregard shown it by government.

But I agree that the ultimate end game is a stateless society.

Originally Posted by Grapeshot

You should check out some of his caricature art. Being edgy is his niche.
    Edgy? However one might define it, cursing/inappropriate language is not acceptable on OCDO.....particularly the F-bomb.

We are widely read by people from all walks of life. Good rule of thumb is that if your grandmother, pastor, or little children might be dismayed, then it probably doesn't belong here.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Edgy? However one might define it, cursing/inappropriate language is not acceptable on OCDO.....particularly the F-bomb.

We are widely read by people from all walks of life. Good rule of thumb is that if your grandmother, pastor, or little children might be dismayed, then it probably doesn't belong here.
    He has a valid point that can be made with, or without, profanity. I think that said point is one that should be shared with fellow gun enthusiasts, and I can't help that he chose to include profanity.

Banned
    It's not as if I shared the video because of the profanity.

The point stands. Profanity speaks to the orator and not the oration.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    The point stands. Profanity speaks to the orator and not the oration.
    I might argue that "profanity" speaks to the audience. (Get it? Har har.)

Words have no meaning but that which is assigned to them. I, personally, long ago stopped believing in "profanity". That said, semantic efficiency & precision are indicia of a sharp mind and encourage credence, methinks. Words which are considered "profane" usually lend themselves to neither, and thus convey nothing positive about the speaker (indeed, they convey little at all beyond the speaker's emotional attachment).

I have long suspected that the concept of "profanity" is similar to other types of behavior which are considered "bad" or "immoral" (such as certain sexual practices, eating certain foods, etc.); they represent pretty decent advice for their time and place (and sometimes today). Archaic societies, lacking experience with dialectic, depended on appeals to authority as the obvious means to modify behavior, and so "it's wasteful to use purely emotive words" became "God doesn't want you to swear", and "eating pork can be dangerous" became "God doesn't want you to eat pork".

I refuse to see an immoral component to behavior which is not in some manner aggressive, and I tend not to worry myself with the non-aggressive behavior of others.

The South Park episode It Hits the Fan is, I think, the best treatment of profanity to date.

Banned
    ^ What he said. It is authoritarian and primitive to see certain words as inherently bad, just because.

He has a valid point that can be made with, or without, profanity. I think that said point is one that should be shared with fellow gun enthusiasts, and I can't help that he chose to include profanity.
    It's not as if I shared the video because of the profanity.
    I think you missed the point. It wasn't a question, but an OCDO position statement.

We are each responsible for what we post.