• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video: "F- the Second Amendment"

Status
Not open for further replies.

state hater

Banned
--Moderator deleted video--

I love guns, and as a Lysander Spooner fan, I also love this video.

Last edited by a moderator:

OC for ME

From Spooner's perspective I guess it would make sense. But from the yellowed documents perspective which was not written for us to use, but to prevent that which Spooner didn't like, the government, from infringing upon our natural right.

Profanity, in my view, never strengthens a citizen's position.

Also, was the dude in his mom's basement?

state hater

Banned
From Spooner's perspective I guess it would make sense. But from the yellowed documents perspective which was not written for us to use, but to prevent that which Spooner didn't like, the government, from infringing upon our natural right.

Expecting a government to be stopped by a piece of paper is absurd. It hasn't worked so far.

Profanity, in my view, never strengthens a citizen's position.

He's an artist.

Also, was the dude in his mom's basement?

Since he's from Ontario and now lives in British Columbia, and is a successful caricature artist in his 40s, I highly doubt it. Anarchists who live in their parents' basement well into adulthood are generally "anarcho"communists, not anarcho-capitalists (as Victor Pross is).

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The 2nd amendment is not a permission slip. It does not permit me to carry a gun; it never has.

Its sole purpose is to forbid government from infringing my right. I don't rely on the second amendment, but I won't say "F--- it", because it's one of the very few inoffensive aspects of our government.

It's true that many people view the Constitution as creating rights, but that does not change the intent of the Bill of Rights, nor does it change the preexisting nature of rights.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Use of profanity/curse words is indicative of the users inability to converse in a reasonable and logical manner - it demonstrates their short coming.

state hater

Banned
The 2nd amendment is not a permission slip. It does not permit me to carry a gun; it never has.

Its sole purpose is to forbid government from infringing my right. I don't rely on the second amendment, but I won't say "F--- it", because it's one of the very few inoffensive aspects of our government.

It's true that many people view the Constitution as creating rights, but that does not change the intent of the Bill of Rights, nor does it change the preexisting nature of rights.

If getting some lawyer to cite politcians' scribbles will cause the state to leave us alone in one particular area, for now, then so be it. I recognize that that's being pragmatic.

However, "restoring the constitution" is not something to strive for.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Use of profanity/curse words is indicative of the users inability to converse in a reasonable and logical manner - it demonstrates their short coming.
You should check out some of his caricature art. Being edgy is his niche.
Edgy? However one might define it, cursing/inappropriate language is not acceptable on OCDO.....particularly the F-bomb.

We are widely read by people from all walks of life. Good rule of thumb is that if your grandmother, pastor, or little children might be dismayed, then it probably doesn't belong here.

state hater

Banned
Edgy? However one might define it, cursing/inappropriate language is not acceptable on OCDO.....particularly the F-bomb.

We are widely read by people from all walks of life. Good rule of thumb is that if your grandmother, pastor, or little children might be dismayed, then it probably doesn't belong here.

He has a valid point that can be made with, or without, profanity. I think that said point is one that should be shared with fellow gun enthusiasts, and I can't help that he chose to include profanity.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The point stands. Profanity speaks to the orator and not the oration.

I might argue that "profanity" speaks to the audience. (Get it? Har har.)

Words have no meaning but that which is assigned to them. I, personally, long ago stopped believing in "profanity". That said, semantic efficiency & precision are indicia of a sharp mind and encourage credence, methinks. Words which are considered "profane" usually lend themselves to neither, and thus convey nothing positive about the speaker (indeed, they convey little at all beyond the speaker's emotional attachment).

I have long suspected that the concept of "profanity" is similar to other types of behavior which are considered "bad" or "immoral" (such as certain sexual practices, eating certain foods, etc.); they represent pretty decent advice for their time and place (and sometimes today). Archaic societies, lacking experience with dialectic, depended on appeals to authority as the obvious means to modify behavior, and so "it's wasteful to use purely emotive words" became "God doesn't want you to swear", and "eating pork can be dangerous" became "God doesn't want you to eat pork".

I refuse to see an immoral component to behavior which is not in some manner aggressive, and I tend not to worry myself with the non-aggressive behavior of others.

The South Park episode It Hits the Fan is, I think, the best treatment of profanity to date.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
He has a valid point that can be made with, or without, profanity. I think that said point is one that should be shared with fellow gun enthusiasts, and I can't help that he chose to include profanity.

It's not as if I shared the video because of the profanity.
I think you missed the point. It wasn't a question, but an OCDO position statement.

We are each responsible for what we post.

Status
Not open for further replies.