• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL says the "H" word

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There is hope after all :lol: "

There is currently an onerous noise ordinance being proposed by Culpeper County.

In a nutshell the ordinance:

* makes it unlawful to generate a loud noise after 6 PM. That is NOT a type-o! 6 PM. SIX PM.

* makes it a serious Class 2 misdemeanor, with fines of up to $1,000 and no first-time warning, instead of a civil fine with a first-time warning.

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT SHOOTING AND HUNTING ARE EXEMPTED **CURRENTLY**.

The onerous parts of that ordinance are not really in VCDL’s bailiwick since shooting and hunting are exempted. BUT, if the hunting/shooting exemptions are removed, it would be disastrous for gun owners. Hunt or shoot after 6 PM and get arrested, a criminal record, and fined. We are going to hedge our bets by also asking the hours be extended to at least 9 PM and that it remains a Class 4 misdemeanor, with only a warning required for a first offense.

OC for ME

Impeach/recall the entire county board. A county noise ordinance??? REALLY!!! Ya know, 4 AM is after 6 PM.

How about a linky to the proposed ordinance.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Impeach/recall the entire county board. A county noise ordinance??? REALLY!!! Ya know, 4 AM is after 6 PM.

How about a linky to the proposed ordinance.

Sussex County tried the same stunt earlier this year in an attempt to bypass the Sunday Hunting law. I videoed that. Finally, they dropped the idea after they ignored numerous FOIA's from me and and caught flak from some prominent landowners.

In the meantime, VCDL was taking the Sheriff and Clerk to task for illegal CHP requirements.....and protesting the shooting aspect of the Noise proposal. They stayed out of the hunting part though.

I'm seeing VCDL make "Baby Steps" toward representing all gun owners. That's a good thing!

davidmcbeth

Banned
In the meantime, VCDL was taking the Sheriff and Clerk to task for illegal CHP requirements.....and protesting the shooting aspect of the Noise proposal. They stayed out of the hunting part though.

<snip>

I love "pro-gun" organizations that discuss issues with "permission slips" .. they should be arguing that these are not needed at all.

When "pro-gun" groups start talking about "illegal permit requirements" they are saying that they actually approve of a permitting processes and that permission slips are needed in the first place.

They [not VCDL specifically] should tell people "we think that permits cannot be required" .. but hardly any actually do. Why? Because they want $$$ and its best for their pocketbook.

What they [again, not VCDL specifically] should be telling people is not to convict anyone of any gun crime as all laws in respect to guns are an infringement. But again, this not a "popular" thing to say and they are worried about being deemed "nuts".

I have not seen any gun law that passes muster.

OC for ME

Bring out the pitch forks and torches!!!

I own land, 1000+ acres to be accurate-ish. Some citified nitwit moves out to the stick, builds his MacMansion country estate and hears me fire up the cotton picker at 4 AM, then calls the cops due to the noise?!? Trimming trees till sundown "after 6 PM" and Mr. MacMansion Country Squire calls the cops due to the noise?!?

Just thinking about this proposed nitwit county ordinance really ticks me off!!! But, I shouldn't be surprised since the city is coming to the country these days. Any cop that would enforce this ordinance, if enacted, should be publicly shamed. Especially a county deputy.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I'm betting this is a result of Culpeper being "discovered" by more urbanized dwellers. They had a similar problem several years ago when new interlopers from the aforementioned areas discovered that people in Culpeper actually went outside their homes and shot guns. Horrors, we can't have that! Think of the children. So they tried to get the town to issue an ordinance (or some facsimile thereof) to outlaw this uncivlized behavior, never minding the fact that folks in that part of Virginia had been doing this for generations.

Nice way to ingratiate oneself with the local gentry.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Has anybody got a link to the proposed [strike]stupidity[/strike] ordinance? I'd like to see how they define and intend to measure a "loud" noise.

Without an objective measurement standard and an objective measurement at the time of alleged violation, they will be busy trying to wet the top of a vertical rope.

stay safe.

scouser

August 27 2014 ....

I love "pro-gun" organizations that discuss issues with "permission slips" .. they should be arguing that these are not needed at all.

When "pro-gun" groups start talking about "illegal permit requirements" they are saying that they actually approve of a permitting processes and that permission slips are needed in the first place.

They [not VCDL specifically] should tell people "we think that permits cannot be required" .. but hardly any actually do. Why? Because they want $$$ and its best for their pocketbook.

What they [again, not VCDL specifically] should be telling people is not to convict anyone of any gun crime as all laws in respect to guns are an infringement. But again, this not a "popular" thing to say and they are worried about being deemed "nuts".

I have not seen any gun law that passes muster.

... remember the date, I agree with mcbeth

scooter348

Has anybody got a link to the proposed [strike]stupidity[/strike] ordinance? I'd like to see how they define and intend to measure a "loud" noise.

Without an objective measurement standard and an objective measurement at the time of alleged violation, they will be busy trying to wet the top of a vertical rope.

stay safe.

Try this:

Attachments

• Culpeper Amended-Noise-Ordinance.txt
    11.2 KB · Views: 120

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Culpeper Amended-Noise-Ordinance.txt

Aha! Got it.

Objective, measurable criteria OR some whiney induhvidual's statement that their ears and/or feelings were hurt.

Will the police be issuing citations to those thumpa-thumpa rolling sub-woofers?

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Bring out the pitch forks and torches!!!

I own land, 1000+ acres to be accurate-ish. Some citified nitwit moves out to the stick, builds his MacMansion country estate and hears me fire up the cotton picker at 4 AM, then calls the cops due to the noise?!? Trimming trees till sundown "after 6 PM" and Mr. MacMansion Country Squire calls the cops due to the noise?!?

Just thinking about this proposed nitwit county ordinance really ticks me off!!! But, I shouldn't be surprised since the city is coming to the country these days. Any cop that would enforce this ordinance, if enacted, should be publicly shamed. Especially a county deputy.

I lived in a place with no cops, no noise ordinances and on 1/3rd ac. lots. Oddly enough, if someone had an issue with noise, they would walk up and talk to me or visa versa. If someone is ill and needs extra consideration, people usually do the right thing...if its just complaining about noise at 6pm, they would not even bother to complain (they know its BS)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Whomever writes the ordinances for Culpeper needs to learn how to use speel cheeker and/or a dictionary.

Inoperable vehicles, sewerage, and noise intermixed w/o rhyme or reason.....what a disaster.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I lived in a place with no cops, no noise ordinances and on 1/3rd ac. lots. Oddly enough, if someone had an issue with noise, they would walk up and talk to me or visa versa. If someone is ill and needs extra consideration, people usually do the right thing...if its just complaining about noise at 6pm, they would not even bother to complain (they know its BS)

david -

Are those the "no cops" that you regularly serve with trespass notices?

I did notice that the noise of a human voice - regardless of the inanity of the words - is not targeted, so you would have nothing to fear when you come down here for a visit.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
david -

I did notice that the noise of a human voice - regardless of the inanity of the words - is not targeted, so you would have nothing to fear when you come down here for a visit.

stay safe.

images

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
david -

stay safe.

Seems the operable phrase in his post was "lived in". This indicates a situation that occurred in the past. I don't follow mcbeth enough to know about his comings and goings though.