• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Picnic, Newport News

6L6GC

Hello all,
The VCDL will be hosting a picnic in the Newport News park on September 07, from 11AM until 2PM. The park is at 13560 Jefferson Avenue. This is where Jefferson Avenue and Ft. Eustis Blvd intersect. The picnic is in shelter #20. If anyone is coming to the picnic via I-64, use exit 250. Then go to the first traffic light and turn left. The park is then just to your right. Once inside the park follow the signs to shelter #20. This is a bigger and better place than we had down at the Riverside park.

This will be a pot-luck style event so if anyone wants to bring something, please post that on this tread so everybody can see it and will know what is already spoken for. Just put your name by whatever you are going to bring and reply to the post. If you think of something I forgot to put on the list, just add it and reply. thanks in advance,
Ron Lilly
Peninsula Area Coordinator
VCDL Executive Member

paper plates
napkins
plastic forks/knives/spoons
plastic wrap
charcoal
charcoal starter
bottled water
soft drinks
diet soft drinks
baked beans
hot dogs
hot dog buns
hamburger
hamburger buns
mustard
ketchup
relish
mayo
lettuce
potato chips
ice
more ice
plastic cups
potato salad
macaroni salad
mac & cheese

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wish to confirm the date of this as 9/7/14.

Sept 7th is on a Sunday, which surprises me a bit.

6L6GC

Sunday was not my first pick

Wish to confirm the date of this as 9/7/14.

Sept 7th is on a Sunday, which surprises me a bit.

I didn't want to have the picnic on a Sunday, but, when I went online to make the reservation for the shelter the ONLY date still open (for the entire year) was September 07. It is really frustrating because I've been trying for three years now to get shelter #19 or #20. But they are booked solid. Every time. All the time. So, I paid them some fiat money and took the 7th.

The reservations can't be made before April 1st. and I went online the morning of April 2nd and both of those were already taken for the entire year except for the 7th of September for shelter #20. I will never admit to throwing things and uttering non-family words but it really annoys me. I think I will engage in some under-handed, shady, back room, political corruption stuff next year and go early and talk to the park system manager and see what he can do. He is quite pro-VCDL it seems.

September's first week is not a good time for the picnic either in a way because of the kids all starting school and the mayhem that goes along with that. It was particularly less desirable for me since Sept. 03 is our anniversary and the wife and I had hoped for that weekend to be free for a get away. Ah well, doesn't matter, we're broke anyway! HA. Additionally the gun show in Hampton is the following week so I will be quite busy anyway.

At any rate, the weather will not be too hot like in July or August. Or rainy like in May. That is a plus. Actually, I would have a good time hanging out with a crowd of VCDL people whether it was burning hot or freezing cold. I just hope its a good day and everybody has a good time.

roN

mikeyb17

Bringing Stuff

My wife and I will bring 150 Cold style Plastic cups, a bottle of Catchup/Mustard/Relish .
See ya'll there.

Mike Brigham

Old Virginia Joe

"let's be clear . . . . ."

Just for those here like me, who are not from the Peninsula, but come to this event from surrounding areas, this location is NOT the same city park in Newport News where we usually have this event. Don't want to lose anyone, nor have the food lost, riding around in someone's car trying to find our crowd, while we wait hungrily. Just sayin' . . . . . . . .

6L6GC

list up date

paper plates
napkins
plastic forks/knives/spoons
plastic wrap
charcoal
charcoal starter
bottled water
soft drinks
diet soft drinks
baked beans
hot dogs
hot dog buns
hamburger
hamburger buns
mustard----Mike
ketchup----Mike
relish-----Mike
mayo
lettuce
potato chips
ice
more ice
plastic cups----Mike
potato salad
macaroni salad
mac & cheese

6L6GC

list update

Here is what we have so far. Come on guys, let's fill up this list. Jump on something before its taken!! Dont be the guy stuck with bringing more ice! HA
roN

paper plates
napkins
plastic forks/knives/spoons----Andy and Lori
plastic wrap
charcoal
charcoal starter
bottled water
soft drinks
diet soft drinks
baked beans
hot dogs
hot dog buns
hamburger
hamburger buns----Skid Mark
mustard----Mike
ketchup----Mike
relish-----Mike
mayo
lettuce
potato chips
ice
more ice
plastic cups----Mike
potato salad
macaroni salad
mac & cheese

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is the end of summer and everybody loves a picnic!

Come on guys and gals from Hampton Roads - this is in your backyard. It's time to shine and make a showing - jump on board.

Close out the summer with good friends and conversation on your favorite topics.

hafnhaf

come on folks! i aint bringing all this plasticware to eat condiments wrapped in hamburger buns!

we also have 5 12-packs of sodas to bring, if that helps.

we can also provide 2 bags of charcoal and a can of starter fluid.

Lori says: If anybody wants to chip in $5 towards ground beef instead of bringing stuff, we can get some from sams/costco and bring it too. Pending approval of the group.

Last edited:

Infidel

paper plates
napkins
plastic wrap
charcoal
charcoal starter
bottled water
soft drinks--Country Time Lemonade--Rich 5 gal cooler jug
diet soft drinks
baked beans---Rich
hot dogs
hot dog buns
hamburger
mustard----Mike
ketchup----Mike
relish-----Mike
mayo
lettuce
potato chips
ice
more ice
plastic cups----Mike
potato salad
macaroni salad-Rich
mac & cheese

6L6GC

another updatepaper plates

OK, more stuff on the list. VCDL president, Mr. Vancleave, told me that the VCDL will provide the burgers and hot dogs and condiments. Some people have already volunteered to bring some condiments so they can go ahead and do that and when I get back from Florida on Saturday, I'll run down to Sam's Club and get the burgers and hot dogs and what ever condiments haven't been spoken for. Hopefully, someone will bring some paper plates since I'm sorta messy holding potato salad in my hand!! LOL.

anyway, its starting to come together. THANKS Philip and the VCDL for providing the burger, hot dogs, etc.

paper plates
napkins
plastic wrap
charcoal
charcoal starter
bottled water
soft drinks--Country Time Lemonade--Rich 5 gal cooler jug, hafnhaf
diet soft drinks----HAFNHAF??
baked beans---Rich
hot dogs---VCDL
hot dog buns---VCDL
hamburger----VCDL
mustard----Mike
ketchup----Mike
relish-----Mike
mayo
lettuce
potato chips
ice
more ice
plastic cups----Mike
potato salad
macaroni salad-Rich
mac & cheese

roN

6L6GC

charcoal and starter

hafnhaf has generously agreed to bring a couple bags of charcoal and starter but he has already signed up to bring five 12 paks of soads, so, can someone else bring the charcoal and starter? We don't want hafnhaf to have to bring everything.. Thanks in advance for whoever steps up to the plate...........

cheers,
roN

6L6GC

updated listpaper plates

Time is running out but things are coming together. :) More changes to the list. Here is what I have as of Wednesday evening:

paper plates--Ron Hutchinson
napkins--Roy Hutchinson
plastic wrap
charcoal---Pete Clark
charcoal starter
bottled water
baked beans---Rich
hot dogs---VCDL
hot dog buns---VCDL
hamburger----VCDL
mustard----Mike
ketchup----Mike
relish-----Mike
mayo---VCDL
lettuce---VCDL
potato chips
ice
more ice
plastic cups----Mike
potato salad---Mike (the other Mike!)
macaroni salad-Rich, Mike (the other Mike)
mac & cheese

hafnhaf

Ok, great. Pete Clark is bringing charcoal. Starter fluid too?

The drinks I have include regular coke, diet coke, and cherry coke. See the pattern? ;) We have more soda if we need to bring more.

For clarity, please take hafnhaf off the end of the "soft drinks--Country Time Lemonade--Rich 5 gal cooler jug, hafnhaf" line.

Also hafnhaf = Andy and Lori. We will be bringing ourselves and one of our boys.

Last edited:

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
Updated list, Me and the Truscotts perhaps one other will be there.

updated listpaper plates

Time is running out but things are coming together. :) More changes to the list. Here is what I have as of Wednesday evening:

paper plates--Ron Hutchinson
napkins--Roy Hutchinson
plastic wrap
charcoal---Pete Clark
charcoal starter Freeflight
bottled water
baked beans---Rich
hot dogs---VCDL
hot dog buns---VCDL
hamburger----VCDL
mustard----Mike
ketchup----Mike
relish-----Mike
mayo---VCDL
lettuce---VCDL
potato chips
ice Truscotts and Freeflight (Two coolers full)
more ice
plastic cups----Mike
potato salad---Mike (the other Mike!) Truscotts
macaroni salad-Rich, Mike (the other Mike)
mac & cheese