Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry either concealed or open carry with one in the chamber?

Do you carry either concealed or open carry with one in the chamber?

I just wanted your input on whether you carry your gun with one in the chamber. Or do you just have the magazine ready but none in the chamber?

Update: Any experiences of when you had an accidental discharge because you were carrying one in the chamber?
    Last edited by Alejo6217; 08-29-2014 at 05:53 PM.

My OCW is an SA1911A1 that I carry Cooper Condition One, the way it was designed to be carried, a round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.

My CCW is an DA/SA H&K USPc .40 that I carry Cooper Condition Two, a round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down safety in FIRE.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-27-2014 at 05:53 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Everything I carry in every method his a super killy bullet chambered at all times. CC, OC, range, doesn't matter.

Guns don't go bang without a round being chambered.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Alejo6217 View Post
    I just wanted your input on whether you carry your gun with one in the chamber. Or do you just have the magazine ready but none in the chamber?
    Whether I carry openly or concealed, there is always a round in the chamber.

Why are you asking?
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Please consider that during a for real save your... or your child/wife/husband ... life situation there may not be time to rack a round into the chamber. Also, even if there is time to rack a round into the chamber, you might not have a free hand available to do the racking because that free hand is pushing a child/wife/husband out of the line of fire or you are using that hand to push the bad guy away or the bad guy already cut that hand with a knife and it is all slippery with blood and/or the tendons are cut and the hand is useless.

Without a round in the chamber the gun is nothing more than a very expensive club.

Which would you rather have when trying to protect yourself and/or your loved ones? An expensive club or a gun that is ready to shoot?
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    If I'm absolutely certain that I need only a paper weight to defend myself and family (never been sure yet) I may consider carrying it unloaded. But until then there will be a round in the chamber.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Please consider that during a for real save your... or your child/wife/husband ... life situation there may not be time to rack a round into the chamber. Also, even if there is time to rack a round into the chamber, you might not have a free hand available to do the racking because that free hand is pushing a child/wife/husband out of the line of fire or you are using that hand to push the bad guy away or the bad guy already cut that hand with a knife and it is all slippery with blood and/or the tendons are cut and the hand is useless.

Without a round in the chamber the gun is nothing more than a very expensive club.

Which would you rather have when trying to protect yourself and/or your loved ones? An expensive club or a gun that is ready to shoot?
    Unless it's a highpoint.... Then its a very inexpensive club. Regardless if its loaded or not....

Bam..

"The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

We hash this out every couple of months.

When you need your sidearm, you NEED it. They are designed to be carried with one in the chamber. Use an appropriate holster.

Most self-defense that requires a firearm will need it IMMEDIATELY. Chambering a round is best (by far) done with two hands. Will you always have that second hand even available, much less unencumbered? Your other hand may be best needed to fend off a close range physical attack, or trying to herd children out of the way or some other important need in getting to cover.

Chambering a firearm, ESPECIALLY when under stress, is the most likely time to induce a malfunction or do something unsafe with it.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Unless it's a highpoint.... Then its a very inexpensive club. Regardless if its loaded or not....

Bam..

i'm beginning to think they don't deserve the bad reputation they seem to have. I've had far more positive feedback from people than negative of late and it will likely be all I can afford when I get my first unless I find a super good deal.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

It's a very common question from those new to guns or at least to carrying them.

The vast majority of carriers either became comfortable with carrying loaded or never fathomed a reason not to.

Openly or discretely, it doesn't make a difference, I always carried with one in the chamber and a full magazine.

-MH
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    i'm beginning to think they don't deserve the bad reputation they seem to have. I've had far more positive feedback from people than negative of late and it will likely be all I can afford when I get my first unless I find a super good deal.
    FYI - the 45 & 40 cal pistols get better reviews. I own several Hi-Points, including carbines. In my experience they run well and shoot very accurately do to a fixed barrel design.
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun...ipoint_100605/

Great carry gun...bulk = no. Hell of a lot better than not carrying = absolutely.

For someone on a super tight budget this may be a option.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 08-28-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

At this time I only Conceal Carry and do NOT have one in the pipe. I plan to shift my carry to Open Carry in the immediate future but will still not carry one in the pipe.

We have good reason as well as others do to want to be sure to protect ourselves. We (mama and I) do Dealer Exchanges (run vehicles for dealers when the car sold is at another dealer). We may be riding together or in different vehicles depending on the transaction. Often we have quite large checks (never cash other than personal cash) and often cross state lines, stopping at filling stations, fast food and out-of-state plates.

So far, other than Maryland all the other states are gun friendly and reciprocity works for us.
    Last edited by wittmeba; 08-28-2014 at 08:01 PM.

You'll gain confidence in your gun, holster, and skills with some classes. The gun will be going in and out of your holster so many times with one in the chamber you'll realize that it is not an issue.

As others have said, this gets brought up every few months. The thing to remember is ...time is never your friend & neither is distance in a pistol fight. Many attacks take place at very close distances, as the bad guys are learning to close as much space as possible before attacking. When split seconds count...you want every bit of time possible, carrying in unchambered adds time when that's the thing you don't want. Unloaded carry is better than nothing, but still not the optimal option.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 08-28-2014 at 10:07 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Ready to go at all times!

I always OC my Glock 23 with one in the chamber and a full 15-round magazine, on top of that I will also have a 10-round (will soon get another 15) magazine on my weak side. As stated you may not have time to chamber a round and to me if I am pulling my firearm because I am in fear for my life or the lives around me including family, innocent people and etc. , I want to be able to get rounds off ASAP. An old man once told me that the quickest police response time is 90 seconds, THAT'S A MINUTE AND A HALF!!! I promise I can let off all rounds I have on my person in a third of that time. Every second counts in a gun-fight and nobody ever goes back and says "Wish I wouldn't have eliminated the threat so quick".

Quote Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
    At this time I only Conceal Carry and do NOT have one in the pipe. I plan to shift my carry to Open Carry in the immediate future but will still not carry one in the pipe.

We have good reason as well as others do to want to be sure to protect ourselves. We (mama and I) do Dealer Exchanges (run vehicles for dealers when the car sold is at another dealer). We may be riding together or in different vehicles depending on the transaction. Often we have quite large checks (never cash other than personal cash) and often cross state lines, stopping at filling stations, fast food and out-of-state plates.

So far, other than Maryland all the other states are gun friendly and reciprocity works for us.
    Why?
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection

Always one in the pipe...
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Do y'all realize that OPie has never posted since?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    It has only been three days since the OP, and believe it or not, not everyone checks in at OCDO every day.... Let's see if he comes back within a week, e.g., over the long weekend before we start considering him to be a "drive-by."
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Any experiences with an accidental discharge when carrying with one in the chamber?

It is rare, but has anyone had an accidental discharge because you had one in the chamber? Share your experiences.

It is rare, but has anyone had an accidental discharge because you had one in the chamber? Share your experiences.
    I have carried nearly always since it became legal where I lived at the time, and diligently practiced with never an undesired shot discharged. My instructor advised to keep ALL targets as evidence of dilligence, so once upon a time I could say that I had a paper record of EVERY shot fired.

There is arguably no such thing as an <scare-quotes>accidental discharge</scare-quotes> given our care and attention to the four precepts of gun safety.

All guns are LOADED until they are not. Cover with the MUZZLE that only which would be destroyed. Keep your finger off the TRIGGER. Know your TARGET and what is beyond.

There may be negilgent discharges.

There are no accidents with a round chambered, a key in the ignition, or with control rods latched; there is only negligence.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-29-2014 at 06:05 PM.

Most ND's happen during load/unload or holster/unholster scenarios this is another con on carrying unloaded. For some it may be the only way they are comfortable carrying. I won't knock them for knowing their fears & comfort levels. It does remind me of people who are afraid of air travel yet drive a car daily without a second thought, which is far, far, more dangerous if you read statistics.

The best safety one can use is that one between your ears! This said, practice safety handling procedures until it becomes automatic. However, never let your guard down when it comes to becoming too "routine" in gun handling. That's why LE has more NDs than the general public.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 08-29-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    There is arguably no such thing as an <scare-quotes>accidental discharge</scare-quotes> given our care and attention to the four precepts of gun safety.

All guns are LOADED until they are not. Cover with the MUZZLE that only which would be destroyed. Keep your finger off the TRIGGER. Know your TARGET and what is beyond.

There may be negilgent discharges.

There are no accidents with a round chambered
    I would agree were it not for equipment malfunctions - see last years recall of the Springfield Armory XDs for an example in recent memory. In that case, the XDs could, through no fault of the person handling the firearm, discharge when chambering a round. So, as long as the above rules were followed and nothing bad happened, that could be termed an accidental or unintentional discharge, but I could not agree that it would be negligent (assuming you were not aware of the issue / recall and had not yet sent it in to be fixed.)
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

It's not just rare - it has most likely never happened with a modern pistol. Back in the single action revolver days where the firing pin would rest on the primer of a chambered round, any bump could cause the gun to go bang. That's why the smart people only loaded their 6 shooter with 5 rounds and let the hammer down on an empty chamber.

Modern revolvers have eliminated that issue and semi-autos don't have that issue, and all but the cheapest pistols have a drop safety.

And.....There is no such thing as an "accidental" discharge. Any unintentional discharge is the result of human negligence.

In a modern pistol a chambered round will never fire unless the safety is disengaged and the trigger is pulled. A properly maintained pistol with a chambered round with the gun properly seated in the correct holster cannot discharge.

However a pistol not holstered and stuffed in your pocket or purse with all the keys and other junk that is in your pocket has a good chance of the trigger being pulled when you don't want it to happen.

Modern pistols are designed to be carried with one in the chamber. As others have pointed out, in a self defense situation you have very little time to react and stop your aggressor. With a properly carried pistol and a round chambered it will take at least a second to go from holster to sights on target. Chambering a round in the process will add at least another second. You will most likely have lost the fight before you get that round chambered.

Also, the decision to shoot should have been made the day you bought your pistol. It's not something to decide when attacked. Carrying a pistol with no round in the chamber indicates hesitation to use the gun.

Fred
    Last edited by azcdlfred; 08-30-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast