• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC in Raleigh

nhh223

Hey everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and I also have a couple questions related to OC.

My name is Nick, I'm 28 and originally from MA. Yup, that communist state that has an absolute hatred for guns. Surprisingly, I grew up shooting guns my whole life, did 5 years in the Marine Corps as an armorer and decided that after living in NC for 5 years, going back to MA permanently would hinder any chance of achieving my own personal goals (gunsmith, gun business, firearms instructor etc).

So here I am. I just purchased my first handgun, an H&K USP .45 fullsize. I might, I'll say again "might" be able to conceal it under a HEAVY winter coat, but other than that, I'm going to have to OC it. I'm only 5'6" so it's a pretty big gun to lug around. I do not have my CCW as of right now, but will probably get it at some point later on.

I am familiar with and trained with all aspects of guns. I have open carried on duty in the Marine Corps, but have never done so in public. My holster should be getting in soon, and I have a few questions.

1) What is the law for Durham? I read the flyer and am now confused because I have seen OC in a Food Lion in Durham. The law states "public place", so was the man wrong?

2) If I am not open carrying my handgun, how should I transport it? IE in a case but locked and unloaded?

3) How does everyone OC? Do you carry spare mags with you on your belt? With a flashlight? Do you dress to hide the handgun with contrast? IE you don't wear a white t-shirt with your black OC handgun etc.

Back to myself for a second. While in the Marines as an armorer I learned a lot about guns. Besides fixing them everyday for 5 years, I pretty much decided that I needed to find a way into being a gunsmith. That being said, by all means feel free to ask me any questions about any guns. I am an expert on the AR-15 if there is such a title, and I worked on the M40A3/5 sniper rifle. I made rifles hit at under an MOA @ 1,000 yards.

nobama

Hey everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and I also have a couple questions related to OC.

My name is Nick, I'm 28 and originally from MA. Yup, that communist state that has an absolute hatred for guns. Surprisingly, I grew up shooting guns my whole life, did 5 years in the Marine Corps as an armorer and decided that after living in NC for 5 years, going back to MA permanently would hinder any chance of achieving my own personal goals (gunsmith, gun business, firearms instructor etc).

So here I am. I just purchased my first handgun, an H&K USP .45 fullsize. I might, I'll say again "might" be able to conceal it under a HEAVY winter coat, but other than that, I'm going to have to OC it. I'm only 5'6" so it's a pretty big gun to lug around. I do not have my CCW as of right now, but will probably get it at some point later on.

I am familiar with and trained with all aspects of guns. I have open carried on duty in the Marine Corps, but have never done so in public. My holster should be getting in soon, and I have a few questions.

1) What is the law for Durham? I read the flyer and am now confused because I have seen OC in a Food Lion in Durham. The law states "public place", so was the man wrong?

2) If I am not open carrying my handgun, how should I transport it? IE in a case but locked and unloaded?

3) How does everyone OC? Do you carry spare mags with you on your belt? With a flashlight? Do you dress to hide the handgun with contrast? IE you don't wear a white t-shirt with your black OC handgun etc.

Back to myself for a second. While in the Marines as an armorer I learned a lot about guns. Besides fixing them everyday for 5 years, I pretty much decided that I needed to find a way into being a gunsmith. That being said, by all means feel free to ask me any questions about any guns. I am an expert on the AR-15 if there is such a title, and I worked on the M40A3/5 sniper rifle. I made rifles hit at under an MOA @ 1,000 yards.
Welcome!! and thank you for your service. I will start, Im sure other people will be posting also. Not sure about Durham either, as far as the rest of the state, no problem. I live in Forsyth CO. and OC regular without any problems for about 6 yrs. As far as in your vehicle, I would just wear it open on your hip, just let LEO know,(I know its not required). I OC and wear whatever clothing, I dont dress to OC if that helps. While out and about, I think the best advise is to walk with confidence,hard to explain,maybe someone can explain it better. Good luck with enjoying Liberty in this state. BTW, I have a CHP also but OC in the summer. The best reason for a CHP is it allows you to carry in other states.

dmatting

The flyer is currently in error with respect to that ordinance - I'll have to update it. I have recently been in contact with the Durham City attorney. He told me that municode.com - which is where I found the ordinances - is out of date. Some of the ordinances have been repealed because they weren't legal - they went against the allowances given to the city by the state. North Carolina has preemption laws so that most gun laws are handled at the state level. There are laws that allow cities and counties to "regulate display" (NCGS 160A-189) and Durham took that too far by attempting to prohibit OC absolutely everywhere. They currently still have an ordinance which prohibits the display of a handgun on all city property - this includes streets, alleys, sidewalks, etc. I am of the opinion that this ordinance also exceeds the allowance given to the city by the state through 160A-189 because the statute clearly says that they are only allowed to regulate - not prohibit.

Anyway, the flyer is in error with respect to OC being prohibited at any public place (I regularly OC all around Durham). And I am currently trying to convince the Durham City attorney that their current OC prohibition is also illegal as they don't have permission from the state to prohibit - only regulate.

It does not compute... you should be carrying all the time! Anyway, NC law does not distinguish between loaded and unloaded. If your going to transport the gun, though, think about accessibility. If the gun is in a range bag on the seat next to you, then consider it concealed and you are violating law. If it is in a range bag but in the trunk of your car, your fine. If it is in a locked container on the back seat, I would think you're ok. But what do I know - I'm not lawyer.

I wear whatever I feel like wearing that day. I wear 1.5" wide leather belts that I use to both hold my pants (most times that means jeans) up and my holster. I'm not a slob, so I don't dress like one but I don't go out of my way to dress up for the gun. I've gone out in public on the weekends with stained jeans that have holes in them while OCing - I'm not going to change from my work clothes to dress up just to go to the hardware store or wherever. I carry a spare mag in a multitool pouch in my back pocket. I don't normally carry a flashlight - I have one in my car and in my bike. I have enough junk in my pockets as it is.

solus

welcome to the tarheel state and congratulations on escaping to a nicer state.

Dmatting has done quite well maintaining this state's flyer and is my custom here is the NC AG's 'overview' and perspective on firearms: (section III D covers vehicles)

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

as to dressing to the firearm i also do not lower my dress standards but to present a 'better' appearance, i insist the t-shirts fit my frame & 'girth' appropriately which is difficult since the darn t-shirts have shrunk from being in the dryer, (my story and i'm sticking it as why i need new t-shirts all the time).

while i maintain spare mags for the firearms i carry, they are readily available in the vehicle(s) i use, i do not carry one on my person nor flashlight as i do not wish to be perceived by any citizen as being associated with LE. rationale, in case of an emergency, they might believe i will defend their silly butttts, which is not the case..

Nick, again welcome to NC.

ipse

Last edited:

nhh223

Thanks for the replies and answering my questions.

Being from MA there is def an adjustment! It's still a pre-ban state, so everything is FUBAR.

My H&K USP in 45acp is actually banned in MA, hence why I bought one!

I do plan to OC as much as possible, but my wife does not like the idea. She thinks it's a reflection of my childhood issues and feels only immature people do it. Yes, it is enraging to be dealing with her at times.

On a happy note, my holster came in and I'm planning on OCing for the first time tomorrow. Probably going to do Food Lion on Strickland @ Ray Rd. I've never seen it done there, but will give it a try. No signs posted and most employees recognize me there.

It's a huge change from what MA didn't offer me. I have been a resident of NC for about 2 years now, finally got finances in the right direction, hence the recent purchase. Thanks for the welcomes as well!

WalkingWolf

Welcome to OCDO and becoming a permanent resident of the state. Dmatt hit it pretty much spot on. You should read the court decisions in the state particularly Kerner V State. In the decision "display" is addressed and it is to size. Originally Kerner was arrested on a public street, so the ruling pretty much makes the "display" ordinances unconstitutional in NC. Chapel Hill has a display ordinance that is within the ruling, it regulates size only, which will not be a problem for your 45. Will you get hassled anyway in Durham? You might, but there really are not reports of that happening, Cary had a similar ordinance and they eventually amended it to be in line with the law. That said I OC'd in Cary on many occasions, a few times on I-40 checking cargo straps in full view of police, never hassled.