• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the Gun World. Advice on What Gun to Carry?

goldfish

Hey everyone, I am here, just had a crazy busy week. The good news is I took my gun conceal carry class in the last week. :banana: I am hoping to open carry where allowed and conceal otherwise. I like the idea of both options in order to be armed the most amount of time. I appreciate everyone's input. I have been researching a lot and will use all the info given. I have a Glock 23 so far and love it (only used for home protection so far), but I wanted something smaller and lighter for daily carrying. Glad to have this community. "See" you all around.

goldfish

goldfish,

Welcome to the Realm of the Enlightened -- as you have decided YOU should be carrying a handgun (the ultimate "tool" for self-defense) in order to look out after your own personal safety/protection, rather than depend on/call someone else to help you! After all, no one is more interested in YOUR safety than YOU are (or your loved ones of course), so YOU are the one ultimately responsible, not someone else.

If possible, besides getting answers from experienced members here in this Forum as you have and will be getting, also try to attend one of our (Colorado) Open Carry (OC) Get-Together Events where you can get plenty of such info in-person from people who carry every day...although we usually OC since CO is an OC state (although most of us also have a Colorado Conceal Carry (CC) permit, we almost always OC anyway -- for a number of reasons).

Among other things, at our OC Events we also help "newbies" get started carrying and offer moral support/encouragement, so they feel more comfortable carrying however they wish to do so -- OC or CC.

So, look for the "States" area here in the Forum's main page, then scroll-down to find the "Colorado" sub-forum -- this is where the get-togethers are posted, in the "Colorado Events" thread at the top.

P.S. You might also want to indicate what Colorado city/town you are in by editing your "Profile" to include that info, as most of us here do (as seen to the left below one's Forum member-name/ID). As you can see in my case, I'm in Colorado Springs.

Thanks! I will check them out. I'm in the Denver Metro area (not in Denver itself though, boo to them for obvious reason), so I'm sure there's some kind of event nearby.

mobiushky

Hey everyone, I am here, just had a crazy busy week. The good news is I took my gun conceal carry class in the last week. :banana: I am hoping to open carry where allowed and conceal otherwise. I like the idea of both options in order to be armed the most amount of time. I appreciate everyone's input. I have been researching a lot and will use all the info given. I have a Glock 23 so far and love it (only used for home protection so far), but I wanted something smaller and lighter for daily carrying. Glad to have this community. "See" you all around.

Just a thought, if you like the Glock 23 you could look at a Glock 27 for carry. I know you said you wanted a revolver and that's perfectly fine. If you aren't completely satisfied with one, the 27 might be the way to go. It's the same caliber, but it's the sub-compact version of the 23. Which means you can share ammo and magazines. If you intend to vastly broaden your collection of firearms, it's not a big deal. If your goal is to only have one or two, minimizing the differences between them helps in a lot of ways. You're already familiar with the operation, you can use G23 magazines in the G27, you only need to stock one caliber of ammo, etc, etc. But like I said, if you really want a revolver then by all means, find one you like. Enjoy!