Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deputy who killed former Napster COO will NOT face charges

Deputy who killed former Napster COO will NOT face charges

California prosecutors have declined to file charges against a sheriff's deputy who struck and killed a prominent entertainment attorney and former Napster executive with his patrol car last year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ted-email.html

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc23123_5.htm
    Flimsy, but legal, this is how cops avoid accountability for actions that the citizenry would be held accountable for.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

It appears to me, a cyclist with many miles of experience, that bike lanes of any sort not separate/separated from the highway are worse than useless for the false sense of security promised by the magic lane stripe.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Blaming the victim...nice. Yes, you did.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I don't think an activity being 'allowed' is an affirmative defense to homicide. The petition to take action has 97k signatures according to one site.

I want this LEO for manslaughter - hope it happens. Plus, we only have his 'word' he was responding to a work email - how convenient.

What is the difference between this deputy killing someone while typing on his computer and a citizen killing someone by texting while driving? I can think of no valid reason that this deputy could not have pulled off the road and answered (as I understand it) an official email.

IANAL, but I would think that, as a minimum, vehicular homicide charges would be appropriate. The local prosecutors should not have the last word on this case.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Blaming the victim...nice. Yes, you did.
    An an attorney ... burn.

Hmm, this needs a catchphrase

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Flimsy, but legal, this is how cops avoid accountability for actions that the citizenry would be held accountable for.
    I'd like to call this the cartel effect.
    Subsisto tutus. Subsisto secundus emendatio.

Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes, as do those who do their bidding. Anyone who tells you that the threat of tyranny is long over, is either a fool, an enemy, or BOTH.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Some animals are more equal.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I was going to say something constructive, but, oh my, look at the time! It's already Anti-cop O'clock!

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    "because Wood was acting within the course of his duties when typing into his computer, criminal charges are not warranted."

Our justice system is an open cesspool. The cops may be the scum that rises to the top of it but the legislators and the court systems are the ones that keep sh****** in it.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by FBrinson View Post
    I was going to say something constructive, but, oh my, look at the time! It's already Anti-cop O'clock!
    That's because it's never time for boot licking.

I'm so confused.
    Isn't just driving, in and of itself "within the course of an officer's duties"? Why wouldn't that excuse any officer who, while on duty, ran over, ran off road, struck and killed any civilian just because the officer wasn't paying attention and wasn't following 'rules of the road' aka, the law?

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    That's because it's never time for boot licking.
    Glad I don't do that. I'm sure there is a middle ground somewhere, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    I'm so confused.
    Isn't just driving, in and of itself "within the course of an officer's duties"? Why wouldn't that excuse any officer who, while on duty, ran over, ran off road, struck and killed any civilian just because the officer wasn't paying attention and wasn't following 'rules of the road' aka, the law?
    Personally, I think it doesn't hold water, in effect it's "Hey, look over there", hoping nobody notices he did commit a crime - Vehicular Homicide. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT there's a line in the code under VH that says 'excepting a cop in the exercise of his duties'.

Somebody needs to cowboy up and put this before a Grand Jury, else nobody is safe in that city. AND we only have the officer's word that he wasn't txting his girlfriend.

Glad I don't do that. I'm sure there is a middle ground somewhere, yes?
    No. Licking one boot is just as bad as licking both.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

If "using electronic devices" while driving is part of the duties of a police officer, we ought to adjust their job description.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    If "using electronic devices" while driving is part of the duties of a police officer, we ought to adjust their job description.
    How are they going to screen potential dates? http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/...fTLMQ.facebook

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    How are they going to screen potential dates? http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/...fTLMQ.facebook
    That's a misuse of police resources.
    So cops have begun to avoid "dating" in the traditional sense.

http://nblo.gs/ZAgqI
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

No. Licking one boot is just as bad as licking both.
    So there is no middle ground without 'licking a boot'? Right.. got it...

So there is no middle ground without 'licking a boot'? Right.. got it...
    Nope.

I doubt you really get it though.

So for the sake of discussion. Please tell me how a constitutionally restricted agent of the state should be held to a lower standard than their masters?

Is it because some animals are more equal?
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 08-31-2014 at 03:32 PM.

Nope.

I doubt you really get it though.

So for the sake of discussion. Please tell me how a constitutionally restricted agent of the state should be held to a lower standard than their masters?

Is it because some animals are more equal?
    I believe my first comment was a tongue in cheek remark about the cop bashing in this and many other threads. And it devolved into an implication that I'm a boot licker and now you want to pull me into your animal farm. No thanks. You can claim victory in our non-existent debate. I don't want to tangle with internet tough guys.

I believe my first comment was a tongue in cheek remark about the cop bashing in this and many other threads. And it devolved into an implication that I'm a boot licker and now you want to pull me into your animal farm. No thanks. You can claim victory in our non-existent debate. I don't want to tangle with internet tough guys.
    So you are ommitting your comeback about a "middle ground".

If you can't back up your words so be it.

Give me a break there was no "cop bashing". The system is broke this cop is an example of that.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 08-31-2014 at 07:21 PM.

So you are ommitting your comeback about a "middle ground".

If you can't back up your words so be it.

Give me a break there was no "cop bashing". The system is broke this cop is an example of that.
    Sure.

Sorry, but calling out Police Exceptionalism and double standards within the law does not equal "cop bashing."

Also, the people that refuse to accept this or that believe in Statism or Police Exceptionalism are typically called "bootlickers," since they support these rights inequalities whether on principle or through sheer ignorance or denial. Synonyms include "toady," "yes-man," and "lackey."

People who are against Police Exceptionalism, Statism, or general tyranny are typically referred to as "cop bashers," by bootlickers.

Just to clear things up.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

but but but there most be some kind of compromise.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast