• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deputy who killed former Napster COO will NOT face charges

OC for ME

Maverick9

I don't think an activity being 'allowed' is an affirmative defense to homicide. The petition to take action has 97k signatures according to one site.

I want this LEO for manslaughter - hope it happens. Plus, we only have his 'word' he was responding to a work email - how convenient.

SFCRetired

What is the difference between this deputy killing someone while typing on his computer and a citizen killing someone by texting while driving? I can think of no valid reason that this deputy could not have pulled off the road and answered (as I understand it) an official email.

IANAL, but I would think that, as a minimum, vehicular homicide charges would be appropriate. The local prosecutors should not have the last word on this case.

FBrinson

I was going to say something constructive, but, oh my, look at the time! It's already Anti-cop O'clock! :p

twoskinsonemanns

"because Wood was acting within the course of his duties when typing into his computer, criminal charges are not warranted."

Our justice system is an open cesspool. The cops may be the scum that rises to the top of it but the legislators and the court systems are the ones that keep sh****** in it.

Fallschirjmäger

I'm so confused.
Isn't just driving, in and of itself "within the course of an officer's duties"? Why wouldn't that excuse any officer who, while on duty, ran over, ran off road, struck and killed any civilian just because the officer wasn't paying attention and wasn't following 'rules of the road' aka, the law?

Maverick9

I'm so confused.
Isn't just driving, in and of itself "within the course of an officer's duties"? Why wouldn't that excuse any officer who, while on duty, ran over, ran off road, struck and killed any civilian just because the officer wasn't paying attention and wasn't following 'rules of the road' aka, the law?

Personally, I think it doesn't hold water, in effect it's "Hey, look over there", hoping nobody notices he did commit a crime - Vehicular Homicide. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT there's a line in the code under VH that says 'excepting a cop in the exercise of his duties'.

Somebody needs to cowboy up and put this before a Grand Jury, else nobody is safe in that city. AND we only have the officer's word that he wasn't txting his girlfriend.

sudden valley gunner

So there is no middle ground without 'licking a boot'? Right.. got it...

Nope.

I doubt you really get it though.

So for the sake of discussion. Please tell me how a constitutionally restricted agent of the state should be held to a lower standard than their masters?

Is it because some animals are more equal?

Last edited:

FBrinson

Nope.

I doubt you really get it though.

So for the sake of discussion. Please tell me how a constitutionally restricted agent of the state should be held to a lower standard than their masters?

Is it because some animals are more equal?

I believe my first comment was a tongue in cheek remark about the cop bashing in this and many other threads. And it devolved into an implication that I'm a boot licker and now you want to pull me into your animal farm. No thanks. You can claim victory in our non-existent debate. I don't want to tangle with internet tough guys.