• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'I'll put a round in your a** so quick': Florida police chief defends cop

OC for ME

The officer encounters push back from the driver, who demands to know why he needs to show his ID card.

'You're driving the car - that's why I need your ID,' replies the sergeant, then adding, 'I need everybody’s ID.'

One of the occupants of the vehicle says that he is going to start recording the traffic stop.

'Turn that phone off right now,' the sergeant orders the young man sitting in the back.

‘No, I have rights. I’m not intimidated, I have right, sir. I'm recording your ass...b****, you're on camera,’ the passenger defiantly declares to the cop.
Exercising their rights...:shocker:
Chief Katz proceeded to point a finger of blame at the occupants of the car, who allegedly acted with antagonism towards the officers during the traffic stop, and by doing so provoked the escalation of the cops’ 'stress response.’

When I watch this video, I don’t see a car full of young men who are behaving in a manner consistent with fear of the police,’ Katz stated.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...black-man-filmed-partner-questioning-him.html
Well, there it is, confirmation that exerting your rights is antagonizing cops.

I hate to disappoint them, but no gotcha moment exists here…which is why I suspect nobody ever came forward to make a complaint about this.’
This sentiment has been posted on OCDO before. If there is no complaint filed then there is no foul in LE's view.

rightwinglibertarian

I believe Florida is a state that tries to violate a persons First Amendment rights by making recordings of police 'two party consent' for one. For another the article does not state the officers explained the perimeter at all (I've not watched the video as I can do without the profanity). If this was done, anyone with common sense would keep a safe distance away even if they were copblocking the incident and they were not. As there was no credible threat, the officer in question risked his life by making what could easily be construed as a death threat.

‘When I watch this video, I don’t see a car full of young men who are behaving in a manner consistent with fear of the police,’ Katz stated.

Come again? The police and government should fear the people not the other way around. They are public servants and peace officers, not local dictators and need to stop acting like it.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Public servants have public masters. The tyrant hires dogs to lick his spittle.
The FDLE hand picks psychopaths for jsut this reason. They don't care who they're attacking, they just get off on attacking.

As a footnote, I don't believe all cops are sick and evil. I beleive the station is sick and evil, and that a corrupt government, by definition, will chose sick people to be cops because it suits their agenda to do so. It's not that cops are crap, it's that crap is hand-picked for the job by much larger turds. The psychopatic condition displayed by so many LEOs is pre-existing, preferred, and nurtured instead of medicated as it should be.

The Forums rules on "broad brush cop bashing" fails to realize that the dislike for LEOs doesn't come from this end of the recognition. It isn't that "all cops are mental defectives." That isn't true. It's that the government specifically seeks out mental defectives to be cops. Every once in a while a decent person gets hired as a cop; s/he just doesn't last long in the position. They weed the good ones out pretty fast and then you're left with the trash; exactly how the government wants it.

Only a deeply disturbed person has any desire to hold dominion over another. The first and most blatant indicator that a person is far too demented to hold public office, is the desire to seek it. The first and most blatant indicator that a personis far too demented to be a cop, is the deisre to be one...

Last edited:

notalawyer

Refusing to provide your DL, while driving, to a LEO is a crime. Don't be surprised if you get yanked out at gunpoint if you do.

Filming a LEO in the performance of is duties in public is not unlawful: Period. The so-called 'two-party' consent does not apply here.

Four against one, the cop is going to call for backup.

Don't point something (we could not see what it was nor how it appeared) at a LEO while being an ******* and refusing to comply with a lawful order.

When your buddy gets yanked out of the car by LEO #1 (for failure to follow the lawful order of a LEO), don't be playing around with your hands when LEO #2 arrives in a hurry. (We cannot see what he is doing.)

Meh.

Having said all of that: Cop #1 is an ******* and had no authority to demand the filming to stop or demanding ID from the passengers.

His actions (after the initial 'assholeness') as well as those of the backup officer seemed completely lawful/proper.