• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCDW Class - What to expect?

LinemansWifeXD9

The husband and I have been OC'ing for years. We know the CC laws as well - and are finally going to take the class.

What should we expect?
It's being held by the Bullitt Co Sheriff Dept - most of which are VERY pro oc/cc.

What will the class time be like?
Why in the WORLD do we need to bring our cleaning kit?

When we go to the range, what will THAT be like? How far away from the paper target will we be? What is the shooting test actually like? How many rounds will we fire? How many have to hit the target?

Yes, I understand this is a lot of questions! I just want to know what to expect when we go in.

Thank you!

self preservation

I'll give you a better detailed description later, but for now I will tell you that this is not "training" as some will claim, just a hoop that state government makes you jump through so they can charge you money. The class is really no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

self preservation

You will cover castle law, where you can and can not conceal and things to that nature. If you are a responsible gun owner you should already know 99% of this stuff.

Then you will go shooting and you will be required to hit 11 shots out of 21. The target is huge and hard to miss. You will take a written test that ask questions such as "can you legally shoot a trespasser" or "can you legally shoot a home invader that is fleeing."

I assume the cleaning of the gun is just "fluff" that has been added to the class or it could be to show that you are familiar with your gun. Who knows?

But don't worry yourself. It's an easy, easy class. I know people that has never shot a gun before that has passed it. It's not a class that is designed to be failed. So don't lose any sleep over it. You will see.

LinemansWifeXD9

Thanks. We do know 99% or more of the laws for OC / CC and intruders. NO worries about 'passing' the class - just have no idea really what to expect. I mean, 4 hours of instructional time - and another 3 hours on a range?!?

How much is it to apply for the permit once you 'pass' the class? And do you have to wait for any kind of paperwork? I would like us both to start CC as soon as possible.

self preservation

The instructor will go through his speech which is mostly safety stuff, then you will watch a few boring hours of people reading the laws to you and giving a brief explanation of what they mean.

More video watching than instructor talking with this class. I'm not sure about the 3 hours of range time. I would assume the more people in class the more range time needed and vise versa. The range time when I took my class was about 45 minutes for all of us, but we had a small class.

I believe that once you pay for the class and then the processing fee (sheriffs office) the class is about $150.00 per person.

As far as how long afterwards that you will receive your license...... everyone is different. The law says 60 days but sometimes that doesn't mean squat.

My wife and I took ours in April and she received her license in July. Due to a cluster of F up's and my bad luck I did not receive mine until October.

bunnspecial

The instructor will go through his speech which is mostly safety stuff, then you will watch a few boring hours of people reading the laws to you and giving a brief explanation of what they mean.

Back when Mandy Connell was still on the air in Louisville, I remember her complaining about how boring the video was. Charles Riggs with KC3 called in and said that KC3 had actually offered to make a "better" video that will still cover the same content but not be as drop-dead boring as the old video. He stated that they were turned down on it.

Maverick9

You will cover castle law, where you can and can not conceal and things to that nature. If you are a responsible gun owner you should already know 99% of this stuff.

Then you will go shooting and you will be required to hit 11 shots out of 21. The target is huge and hard to miss. You will take a written test that ask questions such as "can you legally shoot a trespasser" or "can you legally shoot a home invader that is fleeing."

I assume the cleaning of the gun is just "fluff" that has been added to the class or it could be to show that you are familiar with your gun. Who knows?

But don't worry yourself. It's an easy, easy class. I know people that has never shot a gun before that has passed it. It's not a class that is designed to be failed. So don't lose any sleep over it. You will see.

Good reply, except:

o It's Castle Doctrine law
o They will tell you where you can not carry (not conceal is open carrying; they can't tell you where to conceal carry, unless you mean conceal as in 'hide behind a bush')
o When you can legally shoot a trespasser, possibly but not if he's trespassing at Hot Wings.
o I do know you probably can't fill out the forms using pink cursive font.

HTH

Sir Diealotz

The videos are extremely boring *Yawns* so just grin and nod your head every once in a while. Target distance is 21 feet and to my surprise there were people in my class missing a man sized target at 21 feet... That's just scary!

But in summary, the class is stupid easy and no worries. Make sure your pistol is unloaded and your magazine(s) are empty. The instructor(s) will inspect your pistol while you nap to the video(s) LOL! You will load your magazine/cylinder during the target range instruction period and only when the range instructor gives the OK. In my case, it was only 5 rounds at a time. Bring ear protection and safety glasses.

Good luck

self preservation

Good reply, except:

o They will tell you where you can not carry (not conceal is open carrying; they can't tell you where to conceal carry, unless you mean conceal as in 'hide behind a bush')
o When you can legally shoot a trespasser, possibly but not if he's trespassing at Hot Wings.

HTH
I did get lazy and leave out the word "doctrine", but I'm having a hard time understanding the rest of your statement.

LinemansWifeXD9

Good reply, except:

HTH

I'm not a complete moron - Obviously I'm not filling out the forms in 'pink cursive font'. Just because I choose to use it here - to express my creative right - doesn't mean I would use it on legal forms. Good grief.

LinemansWifeXD9

The videos are extremely boring *Yawns* so just grin and nod your head every once in a while. Target distance is 21 feet and to my surprise there were people in my class missing a man sized target at 21 feet... That's just scary!

But in summary, the class is stupid easy and no worries. Make sure your pistol is unloaded and your magazine(s) are empty. The instructor(s) will inspect your pistol while you nap to the video(s) LOL! You will load your magazine/cylinder during the target range instruction period and only when the range instructor gives the OK. In my case, it was only 5 rounds at a time. Bring ear protection and safety glasses.

Good luck

Wow, that *IS* scary!!! I truly can't imagine missing at anything less than 50 ft!

self preservation

Ok, I had to pay the state fee of $25 per person, the only other charge will be the actual permit fee. What is that?

The cost of my class was $75.00 per person. I believe that cost is still the going rate. Then We had to pay the sheriff either $20.00 or $25.00 for his part. You will also write a check of $40.00 to the sheriff that will be sent to the state police for their part. So maybe around $130'ish per person. This is of course if my memory is serving me correctly.

self preservation

To clarify: the $40.00 will be "written" payable to KSP, but you will give this check to the sheriff and he will mail it for you.

LinemansWifeXD9

The amount an instructor can charge is capped by state law. He can do it for as little as he wants, but not more than the cap; I believe it is $75 plus $10 for range facilities, if needed. If you shoot in his back yard that doesn't count. The extra 10 bucks is only if he has to pay for the students to use a range. Some instructors, like in LinemansWifeXD9's case, just charge the amount that has to be sent to the state ($25) and don't keep anything for themselves. She said she was taking it from the sheriff.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The Sherrif's office is charging NOTHING for their time or range fee. We had to pay $25 per person that goes to the state - Period.
I'm wondering if THAT is what has to be sent to Frankfort so our actual permit will come to us? Is THAT all we will have to pay, since the sheriff isn't charging anything for THEIR part?

boomer92266

No, you won't get off that easily. That is only for the training class. After the class the instructor will send your test results to Richmond. Then a certificate will be mailed to you saying that you have successfully passed the training course. You then take that certificate to your sheriff's office, fill out an application for the license, give them two checks, one for $20 and another for $40. They keep the $20 check and send everything else to Frankfort. The state police do the background check and process the application. They keep the $40. Within 60 days they will notify you and you go back to the sheriff office to pick up your license. A total of $85 for you, a bargain, since most people have to pay $60 more for the training class.

yep you got the cheap route, i had to pay $75 for the class on a sunday, i got my certificate in on friday in just 5 days which i thought was fast. sent it off last monday, was told 3-4 weeks for my permit. the sheriff said i picked a good time that this time of year not as many people taking them and it's a little faster to get everything. don't know about that for sure except my certificate came in 5 days so maybe in 3-4 weeks i'll have my permit.

LEX_XDM40compact

Why do you have to pay to utilize a right? I won't.

Why do you pay to eat food? Drink water? Live? ( while I understand your point it served no purpose in this thread)

Anywho for OP

Its a pretty basic class. As mentioned it is by no means at all a training class but a learning course. Justified use of force and basic firearm safety and handling is the main focus.

As for the mentioned cleaning kit the instructor should have you clean your firearm to show you can break it down and maintenance it.

After the class you will receive a cert. you then take it down to your local sheriff along with all the proper $$$$ and photo, wait and within 60 days you will receive a letter stating you had been denied or that there is a CCDW ready to be picked up at said local sheriff.