Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just drew my weapon on a human

I just drew my weapon on a human

I had some people over the house tonight and someone had lost an important envelope. About 2310 hrs I went out front to search the area.

I came out of my front door and saw a young man, mid twenties, 5'10", 185lbs, slight build. He was wearing a black doo rag, black shirt, black knee length shorts, and black shoes. I ignored him as this was, after all, a public road and crossed the street to start my search. I seemed to have surprised him and he asked if I had come out "for him". I replied no, and went about my business as he walked away. I found nothing so I moved to my back yard. Again finding nothing I moved back out front again.

It is now 2330. I walked down the street with a flash light, searching each side until I reached the end, about fifty meters. I started back to my house and then heard a voice taunting me from the dark. Something about looking for him, wanting a piece of him, some unintelligible things. I ignored it a move closer to home.
    Now I hear shoes on gravel and I turn. He stops still in the dark, but taunting. I turned to home again. This is where I hear shoes running on tarmac.

I turned and yelled "Back off...I have a firearm and I will shoot you...Back Off!!He stopped and did a little dance as though he did not believe me. It was dark and the weapon is grey. He put his right hand in his pocket and then began to charge me. I drew my weapon and yelled again, "Stop, get your hands out of your pocket". He stopped ( at about twenty feet )and put his hands up and I yelled again, "Get your hands up and face away from me...do it now face away from me". He did as ordered and I yelled again, "Walk away..walk away ..keep your hands up and walk away". He did so and danced away. When he was on the next street I holstered my weapon and headed the last two hundred feet to my door. As I was walking I could hear him through the trees taunting me still.
    I got to the house, ducked in and grabbed a phone an back out but he was gone. 911, and a vehicle area search came up with nada.

This is the first time I have drawn my weapon in a very, very long time. He was at twenty feet. I appear old, disabled, a textbook version of a victim. I am glad he decided to "pass on me" and move on. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 08-29-2014 at 04:11 AM. Reason: spelink
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Wowwie!!!

Wow,,, John, ya done good...
    A lesser man would have shot him!
    Saved yourself a mess of legel trouble
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

"stop the threat"
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

This can't be true! Anyone who is anyone says that guns in the hands of anyone but the government means that they are a criminal and that the gun will only be used to hurt somebody. What you are saying is that YOU are not a criminal, YOU drew your weapon and did not hurt anybody at all ad actually used your gun to protect yourself from somebody who may have intended you harm? There's no way this can be true!

/sarcasm

Good job sir. Good job in controlling yourself and only going to the extent that you needed to to stop a threat.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

A lot of self defense situations do not involve the firearm being fired.

Good tactics and verbal commands worked out.

It is better to stop the threat if one can by not shooting some one. Not always possible.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Wow, you need to rethink your reactions. Crazy person hands in pocket coming at you? You should have shot him or at minimum sought distance and cover.

I'd have shot him in the leg for sure.

Good job, Sir! I hope he learned his lesson and never bothers you or anyone else again.

Quote Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
    Good job, Sir! I hope he learned his lesson and never bothers you or anyone else again.
    (facepalm) Yeah, that's likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Wow, you need to rethink your reactions. Crazy person hands in pocket coming at you? You should have shot him or at minimum sought distance and cover.

I would have shot the "whatever it was" out of his hand. The perp would have a wee booboo and hurt feelings at worst.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

OP may want to consider trying to "disappear" his words.

You say you called 911 and they searched. But you fail to say if they filled out a report where you name was intered in the box marked "Victim".

Your companion of the evening probably watched you go into your home, so knows your address. From 20 feet(!!) they probably know what you look like.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I just drew my weapon on a human

The only constructive criticism I have to offer is not to tell him to turn around. If he turned around then pulled a weapon, you'd be forced to shoot him in the back. That could look very bad for you. Better to tell him to back away slowly.

Glad to hear that firing your weapon was not necessary. Stay safe.
    Last edited by tombrewster421; 08-29-2014 at 08:58 AM.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

I had to get some sleep. Yes, I will get a copy of the report. Yes, he has probably been down my street before. My "voice command" is strong, if there had been something IN the hand, things may have been different.
    I am headed to the VA and I will check back later.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I would have shot the "whatever it was" out of his hand. The perp would have a wee booboo and hurt feelings at worst.
    You'd be surprised how a bullet in the cellphone can disable some people.

Or so I'm told.

Quote Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
    Doubtful.

A guy who continues to come at someone when warned to stop, then stopping only twenty feet away, AND who continues to taunt their intended victim as he returns home (and I don't think I would have gone there) is going to need more edumacation, IMHO. I'm not suggesting the OP is going to attempt to give him that education, but he may be forced to.
    Last edited by BB62; 08-29-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Good Job!

Well done, good job!

Its to bad you didn't have a pair of these on to capture the moment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5MP-HD-Camco...item233dbd95be

They come in clear lenses for night.

It's sad that this happened.

Were you ready to use your weapon though?

How are you handling the emotional side of knowing that you might have had to take a life?

----

I hope that the creature who attacked you does not come back for revenge.

Also remember that a shot to the groin area should disable an assailant very well. They should not be able to flee after that.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    You'd be surprised how a bullet in the cellphone can disable some people.

Or so I'm told.
    Seriously? You two would have risked a "wounding" shot or stopping the threat by shooting his cellphone or "whatever it was" in his hand? Are you really that accurate, especially in the dark?

I think the OP did exactly the right thing and as one other poster mentioned, threats are stopped many times without firing one's firearm. Kudos to you, MSG!
    Last edited by JamesCanby; 08-29-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Seriously? You two would have risked a "wounding" shot or stopping the threat by shooting his cellphone or "whatever it was" in his hand? Are you really that accurate, especially in the dark?

I think the OP did exactly the right thing and as one other poster mentioned, threats are stopped many times without firing one's firearm. Kudos to you, MSG!
    OK, you got me. I would have -threatened- to shoot him in the leg. Happy?
    Last edited by Maverick9; 08-29-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Lots of drama, very little trauma.

Banned
    Some wimpy judge might say "why did you not leave upon the first encounter or call 911 at that time" or such other drivel.

I would recommend deleting your post ... this guy might be back and you do not want evidence showing that you are "trigger happy" (that's what they'll say)

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    OP may want to consider trying to "disappear" his words.

You say you called 911 and they searched. But you fail to say if they filled out a report where you name was intered in the box marked "Victim".

Your companion of the evening probably watched you go into your home, so knows your address. From 20 feet(!!) they probably know what you look like.

stay safe.
    Well, since the first line of OP's story went...
    I came out of my front door...
    I don't think it mattered if the BG watched him go home.

OP; keep the home defense shotgun handy for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Some wimpy judge might say "why did you not leave upon the first encounter or call 911 at that time" or such other drivel.

I would recommend deleting your post ... this guy might be back and you do not want evidence showing that you are "trigger happy" (that's what they'll say)
    Yeah considering the PD has paid out judgements to MSG and his personal friends, and the city attorney and county prosecutor know who he is and have a history of BS actions.... I'd be cautious if I were him...
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Good job, and good job not killing him.
    A lot of drunk people with an attitude pull crap like that, some end up dead.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE TRYING

Good job. Good to be alive and not be tainted with the killing of a doped out punk and any legal headaches that might have followed.

Last thing anybody wants is Al Sharpton in your face calling for justice, and your arse in a over crowded county jail.

This puts the "21 foot rule" in broad daylight. My threat stopped at twenty. He started to rush me from the thirty mark and covered that ten feet pretty bloody quick.
    My voice commands have been practiced in order to be able to convey concisely and clearly what I want done. Training pays off.

We have a heightened sense of awareness right now. Until this is rectified the "spidey senses" will be out and about.
    Saw my attorney today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast