• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I just drew my weapon on a human

F350

OP may want to consider trying to "disappear" his words.

You say you called 911 and they searched. But you fail to say if they filled out a report where you name was intered in the box marked "Victim".

Your companion of the evening probably watched you go into your home, so knows your address. From 20 feet(!!) they probably know what you look like.

stay safe.

Well, since the first line of OP's story went...
I came out of my front door...

I don't think it mattered if the BG watched him go home.

OP; keep the home defense shotgun handy for a while.

EMNofSeattle

Some wimpy judge might say "why did you not leave upon the first encounter or call 911 at that time" or such other drivel.

I would recommend deleting your post ... this guy might be back and you do not want evidence showing that you are "trigger happy" (that's what they'll say)

Yeah considering the PD has paid out judgements to MSG and his personal friends, and the city attorney and county prosecutor know who he is and have a history of BS actions.... I'd be cautious if I were him...

509rifas

Good job, and good job not killing him.
A lot of drunk people with an attitude pull crap like that, some end up dead.

MontanaResident

Good job. Good to be alive and not be tainted with the killing of a doped out punk and any legal headaches that might have followed.

Last thing anybody wants is Al Sharpton in your face calling for justice, and your arse in a over crowded county jail.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
This puts the "21 foot rule" in broad daylight. My threat stopped at twenty. He started to rush me from the thirty mark and covered that ten feet pretty bloody quick.
My voice commands have been practiced in order to be able to convey concisely and clearly what I want done. Training pays off.

We have a heightened sense of awareness right now. Until this is rectified the "spidey senses" will be out and about.
Saw my attorney today.

325rto

Kudos to you MSG. All the Monday morning quarterbacks can 20/20 all day long, but when the poop hits the fan you fall back on training and hopefully you make the right decisions.

kparker

What I mean is, you've *got* the flashlight that you're using in your search for the envelope. Did it really not faze this individual when you blinded him by shining it in his eyes? It takes a pretty OFF person to advance in a situation like that.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
During the entire event it was obvious the threat was mentally unbalanced. Could have been off his meds. Back to the PeeDee today for a follow up report.

davidmcbeth

Banned
This puts the "21 foot rule" in broad daylight. My threat stopped at twenty. He started to rush me from the thirty mark and covered that ten feet pretty bloody quick.
My voice commands have been practiced in order to be able to convey concisely and clearly what I want done. Training pays off.

We have a heightened sense of awareness right now. Until this is rectified the "spidey senses" will be out and about.
Saw my attorney today.

The 21 ft rule is fine, for an unarmed assailant (to run and reach you before you can draw, aim, and shoot) .. the OP had no idea if the guy was armed or not (making the 21 ft rule irrelevant) and who normally does know?

JoeSparky

Centurion
The 21 ft rule is fine, for an unarmed assailant (to run and reach you before you can draw, aim, and shoot) .. the OP had no idea if the guy was armed or not (making the 21 ft rule irrelevant) and who normally does know?

And the important part of this "21 foot rule" was that the suddenly advancing BG/PERP/Twit had about a 50% chance of advancing to the trained officer and inflicting injury on the officer before the officer could draw, aim, and fire his sidearm!

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
There is no such thing as the "21 foot rule". Never has been.

It is called the "Tueller Principle", and is based on how fast a person can cover 21 feet, and how fast you personally can draw your gun and shoot center of mass accurately.

I know for a fact that young males can cover that ground in less than 1.5 seconds usually, and old guys like me average 1.8 to slightly over 2.0 seconds. I can draw my weapon and shoot accurately center of mass in 1.68 seconds. Thus, with a younger male, my safe distance is closer to 30 feet, not 21. And I can back that up in court, with facts and figures if I have to shoot someone at 30 feet.

I say this with all respect, just to educate what the Tueller Principle actually is, and the 21 foot rule is not.

MSG, well done, and be safe up there.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I say this with all respect, just to educate what the Tueller Principle actually is, and the 21 foot rule is not.

Thanks GS. I am accurate at twice the distance he stopped at, but I do not take ending a life lightly.

On the Tueller Principal, you could call it "macaroni" and it would still be the same principal. It is good to use the correct term tho. Thanks.

mikeyb

On the Tueller Principal, you could call it "macaroni" and it would still be the same principal. It is good to use the correct term tho. Thanks.

Already taken.

The Macaroni Principle is that somewhere, at any given time, a celebrity is made from elbow macaroni as part of some kid's art project.

Be safe, don't glue your trigger finger to your thumb by "accident." Negligent gluings have a tendency to make a sticky situation.

;)

F350

There is no such thing as the "21 foot rule". Never has been.

It is called the "Tueller Principle", and is based on how fast a person can cover 21 feet, and how fast you personally can draw your gun and shoot center of mass accurately.

I know for a fact that young males can cover that ground in less than 1.5 seconds usually, and old guys like me average 1.8 to slightly over 2.0 seconds. I can draw my weapon and shoot accurately center of mass in 1.68 seconds. Thus, with a younger male, my safe distance is closer to 30 feet, not 21. And I can back that up in court, with facts and figures if I have to shoot someone at 30 feet.

Depends on the state; in Iowa 21' is specified in law and pretty much a free ride, anything further will have to be litigated. In Indiana 21' was set by Supreme court precedent and again anything further is subject to litigation.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Depends on the state; in Iowa 21' is specified in law and pretty much a free ride, anything further will have to be litigated. In Indiana 21' was set by Supreme court precedent and again anything further is subject to litigation.

Granted.

But it is unfortunate, because Tueller never intended for it to become locked into a fixed distance like that. It was meant to remain flexible.

davidmcbeth

Banned

would love a cite to the Iowa law ... thanks in advanced