• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Video

rightwinglibertarian

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKtkefEcDQY

I know little about the state and it's laws other than I've seen it's a 'may issue' state but wow. Y'all have it tough there.

I see an illegal search, which equals an assault and picking up a weapon like that without consent could well equal seizure or theft. I'd have been a fair bit firmer with the LEO and stated I was and would continue to exercise my 2A rights.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
This was a "staged" event by a then-member of the state legislature who is a staunch 2A supporter and a County Sheriff who was willing to be part of the "act." It demonstrates that even though the State AG testified that it was legal to openly carry a long gun in Maryland, most of the LEOs will not let it pass.

Don't try this in Maryland. You will not like the result.

rightwinglibertarian

This was a "staged" event by a then-member of the state legislature who is a staunch 2A supporter and a County Sheriff who was willing to be part of the "act." It demonstrates that even though the State AG testified that it was legal to openly carry a long gun in Maryland, most of the LEOs will not let it pass.

Don't try this in Maryland. You will not like the result.

uuurgh :banghead: I'm just annoyed I live close enough to Illinois to make it a pain. And being across the river from Minnesota i'd need two permits as it doesnt recognise the Wisconsin one. What happened to the Bill that would have forced the states to recognise each others permits? Dead in the water I bet.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
I noticed that the maker of the video is not actual open carry advocate. BUT a concealed carry privilege proponent.:(

WW, you must understand the incredible uphill, almost Sisyphus-like battle that is taking place in Maryland, as evidenced by the Woollard* case. As a May Issue state, it is almost impossible to obtain a concealed carry permit. In the Woollard court proceedings, the AG testified that Maryland didn't need to liberalize their concealed carry law because Marylanders had the right to open carry long guns, which is what the video is trying to exemplify. In reality, no urban Maryland LEO will allow anyone to openly carry a rifle or shotgun.

Mike was taking the step-wise approach to at least get the concealed carry law changed from May Issue to Shall Issue by getting rid of the "good and substantial reason" requirement.

Please do not denigrate Mike's efforts and that of Maryland Shall Issue by characterizing either as not working toward the recognition of full 2A rights for all of its citizens.

*See http://www.cato.org/publications/legal-briefs/woollard-v-gallagher

WalkingWolf

WW, you must understand the incredible uphill, almost Sisyphus-like battle that is taking place in Maryland, as evidenced by the Woollard* case. As a May Issue state, it is almost impossible to obtain a concealed carry permit. In the Woollard court proceedings, the AG testified that Maryland didn't need to liberalize their concealed carry law because Marylanders had the right to open carry long guns, which is what the video is trying to exemplify. In reality, no urban Maryland LEO will allow anyone to openly carry a rifle or shotgun.

Mike was taking the step-wise approach to at least get the concealed carry law changed from May Issue to Shall Issue by getting rid of the "good and substantial reason" requirement.

Please do not denigrate Mike's efforts and that of Maryland Shall Issue by characterizing either as not working toward the recognition of full 2A rights for all of its citizens.

*See http://www.cato.org/publications/legal-briefs/woollard-v-gallagher

Seems to me since the AG put OC on the table, that is the best route. But then that goes counter to CC revolution. Sorry but I see it as it is. Permits are not and never will be a right, they are a privilege. It is the defeatist attitude in states such as CA, NY, NJ that keeps the system the way it is.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Seems to me since the AG put OC on the table, that is the best route. But then that goes counter to CC revolution. Sorry but I see it as it is. Permits are not and never will be a right, they are a privilege. It is the defeatist attitude in states such as CA, NY, NJ that keeps the system the way it is.

Right. Please take your first opportunity to sling a rifle on your back and walk in downtown Baltimore. Let us know how that works out for you.

WalkingWolf

Right. Please take your first opportunity to sling a rifle on your back and walk in downtown Baltimore. Let us know how that works out for you.

It is not my place, I just offered my opinion. But seems it struck a cord, or nerve. It is up to YOU to take the AG up on his words. If you're satisfied with the way it is, then I am fine with my RIGHTS here. If CC is what you want, privilege is all you deserve. Take a cue from OCT on actually standing up for rights and not caving, and boot licking.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
It is not my place, I just offered my opinion. But seems it struck a cord, or nerve. It is up to YOU to take the AG up on his words. If you're satisfied with the way it is, then I am fine with my RIGHTS here. If CC is what you want, privilege is all you deserve. Take a cue from OCT on actually standing up for rights and not caving, and boot licking.

As usual, you infer incorrectly. I am an active open carrier and do so whenever I am out and about. I am not, however, going to cross the river into MD and carry a rifle openly just because the AG said I could, when I know the truth is the opposite. Feel free to stay safe in NC and spread your opinions on what others should do.

swinokur

Activist Member
And so when you are detained, possibly arrested and have your gun confiscated, what was proven? Maybe that it's not practical, no matter what the AG says you can do? You could still be charged with brandishing or disorderly conduct no matter what the AG says. So what 2A principal was advanced?

That's all the video was designed to illustrate.

Guess you missed it.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

And so when you are detained, possibly arrested and have your gun confiscated, what was proven? Maybe that it's not practical, no matter what the AG says you can do? You could still be charged with brandishing or disorderly conduct no matter what the AG says. So what 2A principal was advanced?

That's all the video was designed to illustrate.

Guess you missed it.

What has anybody done in that state to further 2A, I am willing to listen? It appears that the AG made a statement that tends to favor OC, yet sheep of the state still long for CC OVER OC. I really don't care, it is not my problem, don't ever plan on going to that progressive state. It is YOUR mess, and if you want CC then go for it. But is IS NOT a right unless it is without a privilege card.

rightwinglibertarian

No one ever said all we want is CC. We want carry. Period. Which method is not our main concern. We'd be happy to let the state decide.

Then you'll never get it. Never let government dictate whether and how you can exercise your rights or they'll just deny them. Enough people have to believe in the Constitution above state infringements to make an impact. You really thing the police would try to stop a large group of open carriers? Doubtful unless they want bloodshed. They, being liberals and braindead won't realise gun rights activists are peaceful and won't use those weapons and will assume they would be attacked. On the other hand a person here and there would almost certainly be assaulted, robbed at gunpoint and kidnapped.

WalkingWolf

No one ever said all we want is CC. We want carry. Period. Which method is not our main concern. We'd be happy to let the state decide.

The video is clearly trying to use OC being unacceptable to get CC. There is no doubt about it in the video, IMO that is NOT 2A. But it is not my state, if that is what the sheeple want they deserve what they get. Even New Hampshire has unlicensed OC. Hmmmmmm

rightwinglibertarian

Just as a side note I support this organization that tirelessly fights in MD to further 2A

https://marylandshallissue.com/

Considering freedom in MD is basically lost it is impressive to me to see them keep trying.

Shall issue? Thats accepting that permits are Constitutional, which they are not. Yes, I am aware judges have said otherwise but those rulings are a violation against the Constitution and cannot rightfully be made, therefore they are void. All 50 states are Constitutional carry regardless of judge, LEO, AG, SCOTUS or any other person or entity and this fact should be defended with everything we have else we've already lost through compromise. I bet even here on this thread there is nobody who will agree to this. I'd love to be wrong though.