• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

rodom

Hello to everyone out there. I'm a new member with all the new guy questions. I started checking out the site because just like all of you, I had questions as to our rights. I live in Ohio, and over the years I've traveled to some areas (for work) that just aren't safe for any non-resident. Heck they're not safe for the folks who have to live there. As such I have often carried a handgun concealed on my person or in my tool box. I had been told years ago of something called "the prudent man act". This basically said that if your occupation caused to you carry large amounts of cash, such as bank deposits, or your job forced you to travel in unsafe areas you were allowed to carry. Now the "open carry" movement has taken off here, as we recently had an "open carry" rally on Medina's Public Square. My question now is - if it's legal to openly carry, is it still legal for my firearm to be openly displayed on the passenger side seat of my car? Seems to me that would be quite a deterrent for a carjacker to see.

twoskinsonemanns

Welcome! I would suggest checking out the Ohio specific sub forum. Unfortunately laws are so different from one state to the next.

JustaShooter

Welcome to OCDO rodom!

A couple of things for you to consider:

In Ohio, since the passage of the concealed handgun law in 2004 my understanding is that the "prudent man" defense is no longer valid. As I understand it, the thinking was that if you carry concealed, a prudent man would now get their Concealed Handgun License (CHL).

Second, no matter how visible it is you cannot have a loaded firearm in your car in Ohio unless you have a CHL, and then it can only be a loaded handgun. So, you must either unload and properly store (which in Ohio has very specific requirements) before entering the vehicle or you must get your CHL.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...In Ohio, since the passage of the concealed handgun law in 2004 my understanding is that the "prudent man" defense is no longer valid...
In essence, that's correct. That part of the law was actually removed from the Ohio Revised Code when concealed carry was passed.

Werz

In Ohio, since the passage of the concealed handgun law in 2004 my understanding is that the "prudent man" defense is no longer valid. As I understand it, the thinking was that if you carry concealed, a prudent man would now get their Concealed Handgun License (CHL).

In essence, that's correct. That part of the law was actually removed from the Ohio Revised Code when concealed carry was passed.
Actually, it is still present in the law, but now it applies only to non-handgun, non-dangerous-ordnance deadly weapons, e.g., a Bowie knife or a nunchaku. R.C. 2923.12(D). Risky defense, though, and it always has been.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Actually, it is still present in the law, but now it applies only to non-handgun, non-dangerous-ordnance deadly weapons, e.g., a Bowie knife or a nunchaku. R.C. 2923.12(D). Risky defense, though, and it always has been.
But, this "prudent man" defense is what got the conceal carry ball rolling.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Ah ha! Thanks for the correction and enlightenment.

rodom

CCW - what steps are necessary?

Since you all are much more well versed that I, could someone explain what is necessary to obtain a Concealed Carry Permit or what you folks had referred to as a HCL? I'm aware that a training course is necessary, along with properly supervised range time, and the permit has to be purchased - the last figure I heard was $66 - but what else happens? There's a number of places out here in the country offering the courses, but I guess I'd listen to suggestions from folks who have taken the courses for recommendations.

JustJack

First off, greetings and salutations! Welcome. Secondly, in Ohio it's referred to as a Concealed Handgun License or CHL, as apposed to a permit. Thirdly, what county are you in? It will help get you more specific answers to your questions about which classes are available, which are good, which to avoid, etc. As to getting your CHL, you must take the state mandated training, which is 12 hours total with 10 hours class time and 2 hours range time. Upon completion of the course, or shortly thereafter, you will receive (from the instructor) a certificate of training. You must present this certificate, a completed application (some instructors include a blank app in the packet of things you receive), a 2x2 'Passport' style color photograph of yourself, taken recently (This can be purchased at many places, I got mine at a CVS pharmacy), valid photo ID (drivers license, etc) and your license fee, which varies depending on how long you've been an Ohio resident. If it's less than 5 years you must pay the $67 that everyone pays, PLUS the "actual cost of having a background check performed by the federal bureau of investigation." Then the Sheriff's Deputy will take your prints, either digitally (faster) or ink (Slow) and they'll begin processing your application. State law requires them to either approve or deny you within 45 days of receiving your completed application. Most are faster, some are REALLY SLOW (another reason to say what county you're in, since you are allowed to apply at any adjoining county as well as the one you live in). I hope this helps.

Here's the actual Law in all it's (mostly understandable) legalize (Valid through 9/17/2014) ORC 2923.125 (Valid after 9/17/2014) ORC 2923.125

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
First off, greetings and salutations! Welcome. Secondly, in Ohio it's referred to as a Concealed Handgun License or CHL, as apposed to a permit. Thirdly, what county are you in? It will help get you more specific answers to your questions about which classes are available, which are good, which to avoid, etc. As to getting your CHL, you must take the state mandated training, which is 12 hours total with 10 hours class time and 2 hours range time. Upon completion of the course, or shortly thereafter, you will receive (from the instructor) a certificate of training. You must present this certificate, a completed application (some instructors include a blank app in the packet of things you receive), a 2x2 'Passport' style color photograph of yourself, taken recently (This can be purchased at many places, I got mine at a CVS pharmacy), valid photo ID (drivers license, etc) and your license fee, which varies depending on how long you've been an Ohio resident. If it's less than 5 years you must pay the $67 that everyone pays, PLUS the "actual cost of having a background check performed by the federal bureau of investigation." Then the Sheriff's Deputy will take your prints, either digitally (faster) or ink (Slow) and they'll begin processing your application. State law requires them to either approve or deny you within 45 days of receiving your completed application. Most are faster, some are REALLY SLOW (another reason to say what county you're in, since you are allowed to apply at any adjoining county as well as the one you live in). I hope this helps.

Here's the actual Law in all it's (mostly understandable) legalize (Valid through 9/17/2014) ORC 2923.125 (Valid after 9/17/2014) ORC 2923.125
Wow! So you have to do more than just "sign here."

JustaShooter

Wow! So you have to do more than just "sign here."
Yes, unfortunately. 12 hours of your time plus if you figure the cost of the class and ammo, count on pretty near $200 in costs, then get fingerprinted and a background check run. All so you can drape a piece of cloth over your gun - or openly carry in your car, or in a bar.

JustaShooter

My in-law lives in Hamilton County and got his concealed carry permit in about a week.

Wayne County typically issues within a day or two depending on how busy they are, and in some cases renewals are given while you wait. By contrast, Stark county was recently taking right at the statutory maximum of 45 days. Some County Sheriffs are pro carry, some not so much - and you can bet the ones that are slow to issue a concealed handgun license are also more prone to harass open carriers.

JmE

Highland County takes the photo for you and tries to have it ready the next business day. Some have told me that they had theirs the same day.

Open carry has always been with us but I knew many who carried concealed. For some of those who carried concealed before, it sucks to have to pay to do that which was done all along. I would've rather seen concealed carry distinctions simply stricken from the law instead of creating a privilege out of the right. But, it's here now and we have to work within its framework. One good thing that came out of licensing law is that more people open carry. :)