Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Texas, legal to carry a handgun in car?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2

    Texas, legal to carry a handgun in car?

    Can I keep a loaded handgun in my car while traveling through Texas? I would figure yes, but can't assume this.

  2. #2
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Yes, but it must remain concealed.

    Assuming there's nothing else barring you from being in possession

    Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.
    Advocate freedom please

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Confirmed. Many of us stuff it between the seats securely and cover with a handkerchief.

    Texas is weird when it comes to guns. No open carry of handguns or openly seen handguns in vehicles.
    Last edited by MAC702; 08-30-2014 at 12:53 AM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2
    That's exactly what I do. I am from Louisiana and I will be traveling through Texas. I am sure I would have to tell an officer if stopped.

  5. #5
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by wenkev View Post
    That's exactly what I do. I am from Louisiana and I will be traveling through Texas. I am sure I would have to tell an officer if stopped.
    You do not have to inform them, actually. I understand some see it as a courtesy to the officer but in my opinion it'd probably just save everyone a bit of hassle to not.
    Advocate freedom please

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    You do not have to inform them, actually. I understand some see it as a courtesy to the officer but in my opinion it'd probably just save everyone a bit of hassle to not.
    Agreed.

    If you have a permit to conceal, and are concealing on your person, you have a duty to inform if you are in a situation that requires you to ID yourself.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  7. #7
    Regular Member Grim_Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Agreed.

    If you have a permit to conceal, and are concealing on your person, you have a duty to inform if you are in a situation that requires you to ID yourself.
    Unless there is a law that requires that I inform a LEO that I am doing a legal act, NONE of their business! I have no duty to inform at all regardless of any law. Mind you, I open carry in my state so there's really no point in telling a LEO that I am carrying heh.
    Last edited by Grim_Night; 08-31-2014 at 02:18 AM.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

    There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,509
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Agreed.

    If you have a permit to conceal, and are concealing on your person, you have a duty to inform if you are in a situation that requires you to ID yourself.
    But, there is no penalty for failing to do so.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Night View Post
    Unless there is a law that requires that I inform a LEO that I am doing a legal act, NONE of their business! I have no duty to inform at all regardless of any law. Mind you, I open carry in my state so there's really no point in telling a LEO that I am carrying heh.
    I agree completely. I was answering point of law for Texas.

    Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig
    But, there is no penalty for failing to do so.
    Yes, thank you. I'd forgotten that.

    We had a situation in December in Bulverde, TX, while a friend and I were helping a neighbor track a wounded deer. Wound up meeting a couple Bulverde local cops while they made us wait for the mandatory game warden involvement (that took an hour), even though all three of us had valid hunting licenses and tags. We'd probably been detained for at least ten minutes before I remembered I should inform him I was carrying concealed. And since he had my ID in his car, I wanted to tell him first, in case he was actually pulling records that might tell him I had permits from several states (though not Texas). I went to his car and offered him my NV permit and told him I forgot I was supposed to tell him. He gave me a friendly "I don't care, but thanks" wave.
    Last edited by MAC702; 09-03-2014 at 03:16 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  10. #10
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    People, check your state laws. Example; Alaska, duty to inform YES. Washington state, NO (When pulled over for traffic infraction.).
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •