• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas, legal to carry a handgun in car?

wenkev

Can I keep a loaded handgun in my car while traveling through Texas? I would figure yes, but can't assume this.

stealthyeliminator

Yes, but it must remain concealed.

Assuming there's nothing else barring you from being in possession

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Confirmed. Many of us stuff it between the seats securely and cover with a handkerchief.

Texas is weird when it comes to guns. No open carry of handguns or openly seen handguns in vehicles.

Last edited:

wenkev

That's exactly what I do. I am from Louisiana and I will be traveling through Texas. I am sure I would have to tell an officer if stopped.

stealthyeliminator

That's exactly what I do. I am from Louisiana and I will be traveling through Texas. I am sure I would have to tell an officer if stopped.

You do not have to inform them, actually. I understand some see it as a courtesy to the officer but in my opinion it'd probably just save everyone a bit of hassle to not.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You do not have to inform them, actually. I understand some see it as a courtesy to the officer but in my opinion it'd probably just save everyone a bit of hassle to not.

Agreed.

If you have a permit to conceal, and are concealing on your person, you have a duty to inform if you are in a situation that requires you to ID yourself.

Grim_Night

Agreed.

If you have a permit to conceal, and are concealing on your person, you have a duty to inform if you are in a situation that requires you to ID yourself.

Unless there is a law that requires that I inform a LEO that I am doing a legal act, NONE of their business! I have no duty to inform at all regardless of any law. Mind you, I open carry in my state so there's really no point in telling a LEO that I am carrying heh.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Unless there is a law that requires that I inform a LEO that I am doing a legal act, NONE of their business! I have no duty to inform at all regardless of any law. Mind you, I open carry in my state so there's really no point in telling a LEO that I am carrying heh.

I agree completely. I was answering point of law for Texas.

KBCraig said:
But, there is no penalty for failing to do so.

Yes, thank you. I'd forgotten that.

We had a situation in December in Bulverde, TX, while a friend and I were helping a neighbor track a wounded deer. Wound up meeting a couple Bulverde local cops while they made us wait for the mandatory game warden involvement (that took an hour), even though all three of us had valid hunting licenses and tags. We'd probably been detained for at least ten minutes before I remembered I should inform him I was carrying concealed. And since he had my ID in his car, I wanted to tell him first, in case he was actually pulling records that might tell him I had permits from several states (though not Texas). I went to his car and offered him my NV permit and told him I forgot I was supposed to tell him. He gave me a friendly "I don't care, but thanks" wave.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
People, check your state laws. Example; Alaska, duty to inform YES. Washington state, NO (When pulled over for traffic infraction.).