• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teaching kids safe handling of guns

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Is it a good idea?
Should pro gun groups protest it?

I have a reason for asking.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Do we teach kids pool safety whether we want them to ever go to a pool or not?

Same thing.

sparkman2

Yes we should.

Yes we should teach them, but teach them correctly. If we take the time to teach them about gun safety maybe that will take away their curiosity. As someone stated we teach them about pool safety but also playing with fire, driving a motor vehicle and drug abuse. Each in its own if misused can result in a tragedy not only to the individual, but to those who are close to them. We all had to crawl before we learned how to walk.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Growing up is all about learning responsibility. Shooting sports encourage responsibility, teach the respect of dangerous objects, and help develop hand-eye coordination.

Heck, I was granted an extraordinary amount of liberty and responsibility at a very young age by most people's standards, and I am a better man for it today.

Anxious parents raise good subjects.

Last edited:

solus

alas, shooting sports are 'taught' to today's youth, normally across the country in Boy & Girl scouts, 4-H as well as in 'school' team shooting teams.

the main problem is the parents who do not believe their youngster needs this kinda of education abstain on pursuing the training and leave it up to the school system to provide the drug, sex, education so they don't have interface with their children on those subjects.

ipse

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Part two of the question is....Is this a good program for the kids?

[video=youtube;QlWekLvEu7k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlWekLvEu7k[/video]

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Part two of the question is....Is this a good program for the kids?

[video=youtube;QlWekLvEu7k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlWekLvEu7k[/video]
Good program for "kids" of all ages.........subject to physical limitations.

Maverick9

There are a few important considerations

1. The kid has to want the training, have the aptitude, have some coordination. So prior to the firearm training have pre-training. Airsoft, BB guns, pellet guns. It should be a pyramid system. Build up to a level don't just go all out giving some small person a .44 magnum.

2. Gotta have the right atmosphere - a good outdoor range, one-on-one training.

3. It has to be fun, but it should not be frivolous.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There are a few important considerations

1. The kid has to want the training, have the aptitude, have some coordination. So prior to the firearm training have pre-training. Airsoft, BB guns, pellet guns. It should be a pyramid system. Build up to a level don't just go all out giving some small person a .44 magnum.

2. Gotta have the right atmosphere - a good outdoor range, one-on-one training.

3. It has to be fun, but it should not be frivolous.
The program as presented starts with BB guns.

There are those that say firearms familiarity training should be mandatory at an early age.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There really is a reason I'm asking. I got a complaint last night from a well established hunting group, not about the Jakes program but something else. I'm just looking for input before I dig into it a little more.

ATM

Campaign Veteran

davidmcbeth

Banned
First step with shooting learn'in with kids: teach them to assemble and disassemble .. so that they know who the gun works and can disassemble/assemble the gun for maintenance.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Important, yes, but first step is muzzle awareness, AT ALL TIMES. You can't even verify an unloaded status without muzzle awareness.

POPS VA

Important, yes, but first step is muzzle awareness, AT ALL TIMES. You can't even verify an unloaded status without muzzle awareness.

I agree 100% that muzzle awareness is numero uno. Know that it is pointed safely and then verify mag well/cylinder followed by checking chamber, but equally important is "keep the booger hooker off the bang switch at all times" I am currently teaching my grandchildren (one at a time, as they come of age) firearm safety just as my father taught me. Then we learn range safety when I feel they are ready to shoot. This is a Virginia tradition as well as one of my own.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
OK, here's the reason I asked. Apparently a VCDL member that from the description, I don't know, talked above his pay grade at an event in Roanoke. He gave the impression that VCDL was against the program and went postal on one of the disabled hunters that sponsors the program. The organization complained to me and I contacted Philip about it.

He assured me that was NOT VCDL's position and that only he spoke for the organization's policies.

I think everyone is satisfied now.

Last edited:

The Truth

I think of firearm education in a similar manner to sex education. Teaching abstinence as the only safety is futile as sex is human nature (I believe teaching morality covers the concept of abstinence by default), and ignorance to the fundamentals creates accidents. Safety and education is paramount. Children (and adults) should be taught proactively.

My .02

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
OK, here's the reason I asked. Apparently a VCDL member that from the description, I don't know, talked above his pay grade at an event in Roanoke. He gave the impression that VCDL was against the program and went postal on one of the disabled hunters that sponsors the program. The organization complained to me and I contacted Philip about it.

He assured me that was NOT VCDL's position and that only he spoke for the organization's policies.

I think everyone is satisfied now.

Don't you love when someone thinks that the VCDL is their own little pet project, and they take liberties with the organization's good name?