• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teaching kids safe handling of guns

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Don't you love when someone thinks that the VCDL is their own little pet project, and they take liberties with the organization's good name?

Even the uninformed have opinions.

If you want to know what the stable is like, check with the horse....not the animals on the neighboring ranch.

Jimmy123

Yes teach them the safety fundamentals of a firearm. Many of use enjoy the hoppy so our kids should too. One thing I have to disagree with is giving children and teens easy access to a firearm. Overheard a man in my local Gun Shop that he was looking for a Glock as a gift to his 16 year old son. Would not be much of a gift if he had no access to it right? My first thought was this is a bad idea.

Kids and teen really don't know how to deal with different stress levels as adults do. Someone makes them made at school or their Girlfriend breakup with them. They will go for their gun. Some may argue guns should in access for everyone in the event of a break in, or I totally trust my kids around guns they know gun safety. Parents have to think beyond just them knowing about gun safety. Dealing with life problems is not taught in a gun safety course.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Yes teach them the safety fundamentals of a firearm. Many of use enjoy the hoppy so our kids should too. One thing I have to disagree with is giving children and teens easy access to a firearm. Overheard a man in my local Gun Shop that he was looking for a Glock as a gift to his 16 year old son. Would not be much of a gift if he had no access to it right? My first thought was this is a bad idea.

Kids and teen really don't know how to deal with different stress levels as adults do. Someone makes them made at school or their Girlfriend breakup with them. They will go for their gun. Some may argue guns should in access for everyone in the event of a break in, or I totally trust my kids around guns they know gun safety. Parents have to think beyond just them knowing about gun safety. Dealing with life problems is not taught in a gun safety course.

They will "go for the gun!" lol ...

I had Mr. T come over to teach gun safety. He just said "Be safe Fool!" ... no problems.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I disagree with that. Giving an early teen a Glock is fine and I agree it needs to be locked up with the parent's for a while but at 17 the kid better be adjusting to keeping and using it safely because a year from then, you've lost the apron strings.

Long guns are different. By 16 the kid should have been completely trained in safety, taught to hunt and hunting with friends on weekends and after school. Thankfully, we now have Sunday hunting which gives him another day to enjoy the sport.

It's a little like keeping a dog in a pen all his life. If you never let him out he'll bolt the first opportunity he has.

Last edited:

OC for ME

...whether or not the parents own guns, are "pro-gun" or "anti-gun."...
Maybe it is just me, but there seems to be a disconnect re logic...

Started my oldest at 6 with a varmint pellet gun. Moved on to a .22 LR, got him a .410 single shot. He now has the maturity to understand that a handgun is only to be used for SD and only in the home. He is pretty dern good at 250 yds with his .243 Savage. He can bring down a duck with my Vera Max like nobodies business.

My youngest is now at the .22 LR stage. The handgun is a no-no at this point. Though, he, the youngest, approaches shooting and gun safety as a chore cuz I drag him away from "fun" stuff to do. My oldest, well, shootin and huntin infringes on his pursuit of girls.

Work in progress and work that needs doing. Getem traine early and train them often.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Go for the gun? Really? I think you are talking about the gang banger type, not the teenagers I have seen trained.

Teaching not just gun safety, but gun responsibility too, carries forward into all facets of their lives.

Reviewing your posts, I see where you don't care for OC, can see why someone would want to ban the AR15, and similar. Now you would deny those of HS age notwithstanding that it is legal in most states in some form.

So you would allow some good people to own some guns.......except......but not......only some.

You are faulting the young people for your imagined fears of what they might do. You cannot effect what other people might do.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Go for the gun? Really? I think you are talking about the gang banger type, not the teenagers I have seen trained.

Teaching not just gun safety, but gun responsibility too, carries forward into all facets of their lives.

Reviewing your posts, I see where you don't care for OC, can see why someone would want to ban the AR15, and similar. Now you would deny those of HS age notwithstanding that it is legal in most states in some form.

So you would allow some good people to own some guns.......except......but not......only some.

You are faulting the young people for your imagined fears of what they might do. You cannot effect what other people might do.

Why would someone that doesn't care for OC....Be on an OC board? :uhoh:

solus

the young, rural, teenagers i have had the privilege to watch as they mature into young adults who have participated in BSA's shooting sports activities beginning at 13, are, for the most part, crack shots with rifles as they have been hunting for several years prior to participating in 'formalized' shooting activities.

fortunately, the young men, if they move to venturing and with parental consent, can shoot up to but not including automatic firearms, including pistols.

point of the post and it may because of the rural environment, i have not heard any stories where these young men or their associates, in dealing with life's stressors, ever picked up a handgun or other firearm to resolve the stressor.

of course those young adults jimmy123 may be referring to, might be urban youth who lack good role models...

ipse

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I think I was 12 when I had a Ruger Mini-14 and a loaded magazine in my own bedroom.

The Wolfhound

A matter of interpretation...

Issuing a Glock to all 16 year olds would be monumenally stupid. Are there 16 year olds I would trust with a Glock? Yes. Are there 16 year olds I would NOT trust with a car? You betcha! Maturity often goes hand in hand with age but is not regulated by it.