• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It's this kind of hubris that got us kicked out of Starbucks

deanf

And it's still going on . . . they asked not to be involved politically, but we couldn't leave it alone. We had to shove it down their throats and co-opt their image. Great job guys . . . :rolleyes:

DSC_0052.jpg

BobR

Just a thought, but I believe that image was around a long time before Starbucks "asked"* that people no longer carry guns openly in their stores.

For these reasons, today we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where “open carry” is permitted—unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.

I would like to clarify two points. First, this is a request and not an outright ban. Why? Because we want to give responsible gun owners the chance to respect our request—and also because enforcing a ban would potentially require our partners to confront armed customers, and that is not a role I am comfortable asking Starbucks partners to take on. Second, we know we cannot satisfy everyone. For those who oppose “open carry,” we believe the legislative and policy-making process is the proper arena for this debate, not our stores. For those who champion “open carry,” please respect that Starbucks stores are places where everyone should feel relaxed and comfortable. The presence of a weapon in our stores is unsettling and upsetting for many of our customers.

http://www.starbucks.com/blog/an-op...-schultz-ceo-of-starbucks-coffee-company/1268

From the sounds of the letter, it was not only pro-gun people but also anti-gun people trying to drag SB into the mix and they didn't like it. But the open carry events probably weighed more heavily in the decision to "ask" people to stop open carry in the stores. Interesting there is nothing about concealed carry, another one of those if I can't see it, it must not be happening moments I guess.

bob

deanf

Just a thought, but I believe that image was around a long time before Starbucks "asked"* that people no longer carry guns openly in their stores.

Yeah. That's my point. In my opinion, that image and it's marketing played a large roll in Starbucks' final decision. Those responsible (like the guy in the jeep) should be held to account.

Last edited:

deanf

In this video, Starbucks is the cat, and the guy in the jeep and his ilk are the overbearing cock.

[video=youtube_share;11AIVdSsP_A]http://youtu.be/11AIVdSsP_A[/video]

BobR

Every one is entitled to their opinion. In my opinion, that image had little to nothing to do with that decision by SB. It was driven by the increasing "Starbucks Appreciation Days" where both pro and anti gunners started getting nasty with each other. As soon as it began to look like SB was taking a side, i.e. the appreciation days, they were forced into making the announcement. The co-opting of their image had little to do with it or else they would have been filing cease and desist orders as soon as it became public. Who knows, maybe in a way they looked at it as free advertising within a community that they could not openly advertise toward.

bob

sudden valley gunner

Every one is entitled to their opinion. In my opinion, that image had little to nothing to do with that decision by SB. It was driven by the increasing "Starbucks Appreciation Days" where both pro and anti gunners started getting nasty with each other. As soon as it began to look like SB was taking a side, i.e. the appreciation days, they were forced into making the announcement. The co-opting of their image had little to do with it or else they would have been filing cease and desist orders as soon as it became public. Who knows, maybe in a way they looked at it as free advertising within a community that they could not openly advertise toward.

bob

+1

Especially considering the image was adopted from an image the anti's had created first.

FattyKrack

I've never cared for Starbucks, nor the gunsncoffee parody, but my woman has that bumper sticker and a t-shirt. And she wants an od green sweatshirt from Outdoor Emporium... Which I'm probably buying her tomorrow. What's amattah, wanna fightuh bout it?

Dave Workman

bob

Things were not helped by the fellows who showed up carrying ARs. I don't recall anybody raising a fuss about some guys wearing sidearms. I know the media attention was on the long guns. That's what the television cameras zoomed in on.

But why discuss history?

The I love guns and coffee logo has been around for a while, though I haven't seen it before on a spare tire cover.

Remember, carrying a firearm is about personal protection. If you want to make a political statement, rent a billboard. :)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I don't think the image (nor sidearms) were pivotal in Starbuck's forced decision at that time.

But I am surprised that someone would choose to still purposely flaunt that symbol after Starbuck's change in policy.

But this is the Internet, so that might be a very old picture, from the image's heyday.

wimwag

Who is "we"? I had no part in the image you posted. I've never carried a long gun in Starbucks. What the **** are you on about?

I haven't either. But I will if I feel like it. Know why? Because it's my right and I can.

Bill45

I would think that Starbucks could sue big time over mis-use of their logo. Copywrite infringement or some such thing. A million doller lawsuit changes mind quick.

The license plate is ledgable, so finding the owner is not a problem for a lawfirm or anyone willing to fill out the proper form to get the info.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

I can't believe you said that. Your statement sounds like it came straight from one of those people that says we should CC only. Will I carry a long gun? No, but I won't because it's heavy and uncomfortable. I carried a rifle too long when I was in the Army.

Starsucks can't be too upset by the guns n coffee thing. I'ts only been around for about five or six years.

Last edited: