• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It's this kind of hubris that got us kicked out of Starbucks

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

What is this? A bumper sticker contest?

I'm sure someone told the Founding Fathers the same thing.

Different circumstances? Of course. Which is why we need more than just bumper sticker logic.

And yes, I'm sure we agree on the actual subject at hand. I just hate that defense and hate to see it promulgated by a smart and active person like yourself.

Ajetpilot

Dave has never been a proponent of exercising our rights to the fullest. From 2-21-2010:

I'm just an old country boy, Dave, so you're going to have to help me out with your line of thinking.

I take it that you believe OC is fine 24/7 as some of us do (me included, except the Post Office).

You also believe that having one's picture taken while OC is fine.

However, you think that someone who OCs all day everyday should disarm, or conceal, before having his/her picture taken at a National Park.

I don't get it. Why should I disarm (or cover up) before I allow my picture to be taken at a National Park while celebrating the removal of a firearm restriction that has been in place in one form or another since 1936?

No disrespect intended, but I think that sounds a little hypocritical.

Ajetpilot wrote:

You can think what you want.

Look, this is going to be a brand new experience for a lot of people who really don't share your enthusiasm for OC, or having any kind of a gun under any circumstances, open or concealed, in a national park. That goes for park rangers as well as park visitors who have gone along with the predictions of rowdy armed yahoos prancing around their park with a frigging gun on. If you want to live DOWN to that preconceived stereotype, you go right ahead.

There's a learning curve, and if you don't understand that, or simply refuse to understand it, then you're not half as smart as I thought you are, and don't give me that old country boy crap. ;)

This learning curve needs to be a gentle one for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that you and only you and like-minded people, even me, are going to have to allow these people to get used to an idea that they absolutely abhor with every fiber. Jump the gun on this (no pun intended) and all you will do is confirm everything the Brady Bunch and retired park employees and FOP and all the other anti-gunners have been blathering about.

We, and that means YOU, need to prove these people wrong. The way to do that doesn't include posing for pictures. Amlevin and Deep Diver get this, why don't you?

It's your job to avoid becoming a bad example. You're there like everyone else to enjoy existing park attractions, not be one.

There's no need to celebrate. That's just an excuse to get a slap-happy photo of yourself with a gun on your hip by a national park sign. What does it accomplish, really, other than to be able to say you did it?

A lot of people worked their butts off for this, including me. Most of that work was done way behind the scenes, with no fanfare, no spotlight.

The NRA and VCDL and CCRKBA and a lot of grassroots activists didn't invest all the effort just to give some people an ego stroke.

I, and a lot of other OC folks, did have our pictures taken in National Parks on the first day the federal government allowed us to exercise our constitutionally guaranteed right, and despite Dave's dire predictions, there was no bad press. I continue to enjoy our National Parks while OC, and I continue to have my picture taken. In fact, I was in Olympic National Park last month. I have never had any problem with visitors or rangers.

So, I am not very concerned with Dave's proclamations.

wimwag

Dave has never been a proponent of exercising our rights to the fullest. From 2-21-2010:

I, and a lot of other OC folks, did have our pictures taken in National Parks on the first day the federal government allowed us to exercise our constitutionally guaranteed right, and despite Dave's dire predictions, there was no bad press. I continue to enjoy our National Parks while OC, and I continue to have my picture taken. In fact, I was in Olympic National Park last month. I have never had any problem with visitors or rangers.

Exactly my point. That and he's a permission slip pimp.

Edit: Supporting the 2A only when it advances one's career is nothing but lip service. You cannot be pro gun part time.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

You yahoo! LOL....I remember that, and then immediately after found a picture of Dave with guns in a national park in a magazine.

509rifas

That image was originally designed by the Brady Bunch, with just "Guns and Coffee." It became rather popular with the crowd that likes guns and coffee so they stopped using it.
No, that hubris. The carrying an AR15 to get a latte got us kicked out.

Seriona

I believe that was a fair way or neutral way for SB to tackle with this issues because when I lived in OK, no one in SB carried that every other person had a firearm. I live in Snoho. and no one cares their, the most negative response from SB is other customers who may stare if at all at me. But until SB outlaws firearms, I am ignoring their request because my safety is more important than theirs to me.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
That image was originally designed by the Brady Bunch, with just "Guns and Coffee." It became rather popular with the crowd that likes guns and coffee so they stopped using it.
No, that hubris. The carrying an AR15 to get a latte got us kicked out.

You also need to realize the guys OCing a LG was in TX, which has no HG OC allowed. Just CC with permission slip. The anti-gun people are using photos way out of context to their advantage.

sudden valley gunner

And that answer is yes. Majority of gun owners are responsible and do not act stupid. But for those who do, you give ammo to those who hate.

Haters are going to hate.

People say the same thing about OC. I have heard idiots blame OC'ers in California for California.

I have heard idiots blame females for the way they dress or where they were at for being raped.

stealthyeliminator

Things were not helped by the fellows who showed up carrying ARs. I don't recall anybody raising a fuss about some guys wearing sidearms. I know the media attention was on the long guns. That's what the television cameras zoomed in on.

But why discuss history?

The I love guns and coffee logo has been around for a while, though I haven't seen it before on a spare tire cover.

Remember, carrying a firearm is about personal protection. If you want to make a political statement, rent a billboard. :)

I can and will carry a firearm for ANY lawful reason I choose. You get to decide for yourself that your carry of a firearm is only for your personal protection, you don't get to make that decision for anyone else.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should? Just because I can is the only justification you need. You have no right to demand an explanation, I have no obligation to justify myself to you.

The point is that it is my right, and it should be understood, and it should be respected, regardless of any justification or lack thereof that I provide to you. it is really none of your business. You can sit there and think, and even say publically anything you like about my choices, but you are absolutely NOT justified in doing anything to hinder the exercise of my rights, and you would be absolutely incorrect to infer that you might.

Edit: please note that I'm not trying to be a jerk to you, I know you meant well... But some might be inclined to take that statement and try to apply it absolutely as opposed to as a general rule of thumb

Last edited:

wimwag

I can and will carry a firearm for ANY lawful reason I choose. You get to decide for yourself that your carry of a firearm is only for your personal protection, you don't get to make that decision for anyone else.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should? Just because I can is the only justification you need. You have no right to demand an explanation, I have no obligation to justify myself to you.

The point is that it is my right, and it should be understood, and it should be respected, regardless of any justification or lack thereof that I provide to you. it is really none of your business. You can sit there and think, and even say publically anything you like about my choices, but you are absolutely NOT justified in doing anything to hinder the exercise of my rights, and you would be absolutely incorrect to infer that you might.

Edit: please note that I'm not trying to be a jerk to you, I know you meant well... But some might be inclined to take that statement and try to apply it absolutely as opposed to as a general rule of thumb

+1000
The only change I would make is "I can and will carry a firearm for any CONSTITUTIONAL reason I choose."

In California, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maryland and Illinois the tyrants have made every effort to pave the way for the destruction of the constitution and in effect, our nation. They believe it a travesty that good men would fight to preserve this nation's ideals. To them, independent thinkers are dangerous animals to be put down. It is more important than ever that individuals in those states disregard any laws pertaining to firearms and prepare to fight for their families right to life. Soon the liberal would be dictators will be coming to take those lives.

Ask any South Vietnamese over 40 what the communists did to children when they attacked. Ask the Hmong. A liberal feels no remorse for shooting a child, especially if that child was the child of who they decide to be their enemy.

Rusty Young Man

+1000
The only change I would make is "I can and will carry a firearm for any CONSTITUTIONAL reason I choose."

The RTKBA is (supposed to be:() a Constitutionally-protected Right; I would answer "I choose to carry a [type of firearm], just as you have chosen not to."

OC, CC, LGOC, or no-C, I'll respect your choice and expect the same courtesy in return.

Last edited: