• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's file this under "Stupid Ideas" -

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/08/robert-farago/theres-school-safety-active-shooter-training/

In the article, a repost from another site, the author and president of the company that manufaturers the device promotes the Guardian G8 Pro V2 as "a cost-effective tool that can enable school emergency response teams to delay an attack and defend students if necessary, while documenting the event and communicating with law enforcement, with just one device".

One problem - it's a dumbass idea. After all the corporate doublespeak, the G8 Pro V2 is a camera / strobe light / pepper spray device that looks like a gun.

The article recommends equipping school security staff with something that looks like a gun but offers no effective response to an armed attacker. At least it will provide great video of just how ineffective the device is.

Since the vast majority of people committing sudden mass murders have chosen to take themselves out of the gene pool as soon as the police arrive, and most of the others have been forceably ejected from the shallow end of that pool, I can see little need to document that dead person "A" caused dead persons "B through whatever" and wounded persons "1 through whatever".

Unless the wielder of the device is looking to document their eligibility for a posthumous award I see little use for this combination of "less than effective" tools. I wonder if the survivors of the first person shot by the cops when they see a gun-like item in the hands of someone who is not-a-cop in the middle of an "active shooter" scene will sue the manufacturer, and if the "I was stupid" defense will stand up.

For those still wondering, go here http://guardian8.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Low-Impact-de-Escalation.png to see it in all its glory.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Such a device might go a long way to insuring that those stupid enough to bring less effective tools to a gun fight do not reproduce.

Ignorance is not knowing about or understanding something.

Stupidity is having the information that something can hurt you, but proceeding as if you were wearing your magic cloak of invincibility.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
lol, that thing is hilarious. First, it shines a laser pointer on the guy! Then, it makes all kinds of noise and generally freaks out! Finally – assuming the bad guy hasn't already been terrorized into a wet noodle on the floor – a full trigger pull unleashes an unstoppable fart in his general direction!

Bad guys, beware.

Last edited:

Superlite27

The diagram describes it as having an "enhanced presence".......

WTF kind of vague, euphamistic, marketing ploy is an "enhanced presence"?

Is it, somehow, "more real" than it normally would have been without the particular additional part or enhancement that a device without an "enhanced presence" would be?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Be the 1st on your block to own the all new, genuine Space Cadet Pistol.

Fill in the order information and send 2 boxtops and $.75 immediately.

davidmcbeth

Banned
They should put 2 armed midgets dressed like school children in each and every classroom .. armed with thermonuclear A-bomb briefcases.

stealthyeliminator

I think every unit should come with a set of dice. (check to see how luck you are before attempting to use/your gambling with your life joke)

Enhanced presence, I think, means that the device enhances your presence to the attacker... Sort of a "look I have a g... pepper sprayer!"

Diagram also has hard and deadly force represented in their little continuum, but their device doesn't offer either of these? I don't get it? Are they wanting to put these in the hands of people that do have deadly force as an option? And how would the use of this device be a more "reasonable" response to an armed assailant? And wait, let's take a step back. A LOT of equipment already exists to allow someone to go up each step of the force continuum "reasonably," what does this device offer new to the playing field that isn't already available? Nothing? Nothing.

ALSO, "delay" an attack? DELAY an attack? "Here, take this plastic POS and go piss of the attacker so he'll have to reload and the attack will be DELAYED."

What WERE they thinking?

Last edited:

wittmeba

lol, that thing is hilarious. First, it shines a laser pointer on the guy! Then, it makes all kinds of noise and generally freaks out! Finally – assuming the bad guy hasn't already been terrorized into a wet noodle on the floor – a full trigger pull unleashes an unstoppable fart in his general direction!

Bad guys, beware.

marshaul I support this idea. I've seen a good fart clear a room - they can be quite effective!

JoeSparky

Centurion
But it's NEW! And SHINEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

stay safe.

* - although it does lack a rape whistle.:(

Regarding this "rape whistle" thing.... I am confused! Does it get blown to INVITE the rape or to stop it?

I've already got a side arm--- I think I'll just plan on using it if justified and appropriate! LOL