Thread: Gun tourism explodes in popularity as visitors flock to U.S. ranges. Ariz. Last Stop

Gun tourism explodes in popularity as visitors flock to U.S. ranges. Ariz. Last Stop

The accidental shooting death of the firing-range instructor in Arizona set off a powerful debate over youngsters and guns, with many people wondering what sort of parents would let a child handle a submachine gun.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...=all#pagebreak
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    A child can learn to shoot a gun. Debate over.

One of two things I can think of that could possibly be discussed with regards to the situation in AZ is the fact that range officials aren't required to be certified firearms instructors. Not saying I think it would make any difference, just saying that's about the only thing that could have made any kind of difference in this case.

IMO the girl could have still shot the Uzi that day and NOT killed her instructor had her "instructor" been paying more attention, or if he had been trained to pay more attention.

The second of the two things I can think of would be the "age" limit on shooting full auto at a range. I don't suggest an age limit, but it would make sense to me to only allow children who posses the physical strength, control, and experience necessary to shoot full auto. Kind of a "no noobs" rule.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Everyone is a newbie at some point.

My first skipper's policy was to never have unexpended small arms ammo at the end of a quarter, maybe 5000 rounds of .45. So all of it had to go through the Thompsons or the 1911. When we had to trade the Thompsons for M-4 we all kinda lost interest and the 2nd skipper never cared about small arms.

Our main armament was 21" and a war load was 32 shots as I recall - not a torpedoman.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    [QUOTE=The Truth;2087551]

The second of the two things I can think of would be the "age" limit on shooting full auto at a range. ...QUOTE]

I would propose a 2 hr limit.

While I haven't read all the stuff on that incident in AZ, I did see the video of it happening. What I observed is that the range officer was trying to be respectful of her "personal space" so as to avoid any possible accusations of improperly putting his body up against a 9 year old girl. Notice he's 18"+ off tot he side. That is the second error, he should have been behind her.

But I can imagine in his mind he was thinking if he was behind the girl reaching around to keep his hands and arms in a place to constrain the gun he'd wind up with his body against her back and possibly an irate father or embarrassing photo.

50% negligence, 50% owing to the fear of political correctness.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxxon View Post
    While I haven't read all the stuff on that incident in AZ, I did see the video of it happening. What I observed is that the range officer was trying to be respectful of her "personal space" so as to avoid any possible accusations of improperly putting his body up against a 9 year old girl. Notice he's 18"+ off tot he side. That is the second error, he should have been behind her.

But I can imagine in his mind he was thinking if he was behind the girl reaching around to keep his hands and arms in a place to constrain the gun he'd wind up with his body against her back and possibly an irate father or embarrassing photo.

50% negligence, 50% owing to the fear of political correctness.
    Excellent observation.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Sorry, but I don't think a true professional is worried about it looking like he's humping a 9 year old when it comes to safety or their job. That's a really weird thing to say.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxxon View Post
    What I observed is that the range officer was trying to be respectful of her "personal space" so as to avoid any possible accusations of improperly putting his body up against a 9 year old girl.
    Well, someone's mind is in the gutter.

You can't win.