Thread: Retaining an Attorney

Retaining an Attorney

After reading of MSG's experience and his mentioning that he "went to see HIS attorney" I have some questions.

How many people here have an attorney on retainer?.
    Is the attorney mainly retained for you as you are self-employed (therfor part of a business expense) or just for insurance in case you end up in a bad situation and can have someone on tap to make your allowed phone call?

What are the opinions out there about the advisability/cost effectivness of doing this.

I have never needed an attorney but I can see it would save time and some agravation if I had someone allready picked out and sort or pre paid.

You probably need to be a bit more specific about just what sort of retain you mean. Formally a retainer is a contract requiring one time or monthly payments against a comittment to see a case concluded. I have my attorney's card in my wallet and his agreement to ensure my appropriate coverage.

About the cost-benefit analysis; decision theory under uncertainty suggests any/all exotic insurance coverage is not worth the common cost; common cost divided by exotic benefit is a minuscule value.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-01-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I just figured that a retainer was an amount you paid an attorney to be used for what ever need arose. The need could be that day or a year from now, what ever the contract stated. The retainer or down payment on servies would be in your "account" with him.
    Each time you called in his services the retainer would cover the first few hours of his services. If you needed him to come pull you out of the inquisition room before the beatings began, he would come a runnin'.!

The situation must be more complicated than that. Life is never simple.

Banned
    You and a lawyer can have whatever contractual arrangement that you want, as long as it does not violate his code of ethics (did I say that lawyers have an ethical code -- jeeesh, washing my mouth out with soap).
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 09-01-2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Now I need a lawyer-misunderstood sign

I recommend Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.
    http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/
    They are even a Washington based company.

Attorney and legal expenses paid after a self-defense incident, including–
    –Fee deposit paid to your attorney immediately after self defense for representation during questioning and other vital defense services
    –Grants of further funding for legal defense expenses after justifiable self defense if criminally charged or sued in civil court

Full disclosure, I am a member instructor but I do not get any compensation for recommending the company. I recommend them to all of my students.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    You and a lawyer can have whatever contractual arrangement that you want, as long as it does not violate his code of ethics (did I say that lawyers have an ethical code -- jeeesh, washing my mouth out with soap).
    Of course we do. The problem really is that 98% of us give the rest a bad name. :-)
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill45 View Post
    The situation must be more complicated than that. Life is never simple.
    Action is always better than REaction. Plan(there is that word again) for what may happen. After an event is not the best time to go shopping for a proper attorney. Look around and find someone who will be a good fit for your needs and connect.

one other thing.........one is NONE, two is ONE
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington