• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retaining an Attorney

Bill45

After reading of MSG's experience and his mentioning that he "went to see HIS attorney" I have some questions.

How many people here have an attorney on retainer?.
Is the attorney mainly retained for you as you are self-employed (therfor part of a business expense) or just for insurance in case you end up in a bad situation and can have someone on tap to make your allowed phone call?

What are the opinions out there about the advisability/cost effectivness of doing this.

I have never needed an attorney but I can see it would save time and some agravation if I had someone allready picked out and sort or pre paid.

Bill45

I just figured that a retainer was an amount you paid an attorney to be used for what ever need arose. The need could be that day or a year from now, what ever the contract stated. The retainer or down payment on servies would be in your "account" with him.
Each time you called in his services the retainer would cover the first few hours of his services. If you needed him to come pull you out of the inquisition room before the beatings began, he would come a runnin'.!

The situation must be more complicated than that. Life is never simple.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You and a lawyer can have whatever contractual arrangement that you want, as long as it does not violate his code of ethics (did I say that lawyers have an ethical code -- jeeesh, washing my mouth out with soap).

Last edited:

av8tr1

I recommend Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/
They are even a Washington based company.

Attorney and legal expenses paid after a self-defense incident, including–
–Fee deposit paid to your attorney immediately after self defense for representation during questioning and other vital defense services​
–Grants of further funding for legal defense expenses after justifiable self defense if criminally charged or sued in civil court

Full disclosure, I am a member instructor but I do not get any compensation for recommending the company. I recommend them to all of my students.

Lammo

You and a lawyer can have whatever contractual arrangement that you want, as long as it does not violate his code of ethics (did I say that lawyers have an ethical code -- jeeesh, washing my mouth out with soap).

Of course we do. The problem really is that 98% of us give the rest a bad name. :)

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
The situation must be more complicated than that. Life is never simple.

Action is always better than REaction. Plan(there is that word again) for what may happen. After an event is not the best time to go shopping for a proper attorney. Look around and find someone who will be a good fit for your needs and connect.

one other thing.........one is NONE, two is ONE