• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Four very good OC encounters and one meh

wimwag

Usually nobody even notices or says anything but last week I've had three, and one a month ago during the move.

First (last week) in Amery, I was waiting for my old lady outside the grocery store and a kid herding the silver buffalo asked me very casually if I ever got harassed for carrying. He said he just turned 21 and wanted a handgun but didn't know how to use one and that nobody in his family owned any. I pointed him towards Sand Creek Firearms Training (a friend) and we talked for a bit about gun laws, why to carry and Barrack Osama. Good kid, heart murmur kept him from joining the Marines.

Second, also last week, I met a Clear Lake police officer name Jose, who didn't even flinch about my OC. We talked guns, laughed about a drunk I watched him arrest a few weeks before (guy was claiming to be getting a rifle to kill cops with) and discussed the 2A. Good encounter.

Third, last week, I blew a wheel bearing and almost spun out at 55 and needed to call the St Croix County Sheriffs dept to get my car tagged while I got my flatbed. The deputy noticed my carry and did a double take but didn't say anything and watched my kids while I pushed my car off the highway. He stayed with us until my ride came and never brought up the gun. We had a blast making fun of his cruiser. Pleasant change from the usual conduct I've experienced from that department.

Last month, I was getting gas at a Freedom gas station in New Richmond and the clerk (girl in her late 20s) asked me about open carry. She said she was going to buy a handgun and asked what to get. I told her to rent a bunch and buy lots of brands of ammo and see what she can shoot the best and how they function with different brands of ammo before deciding on one and not to let the macho know it alls push her to buy a pink one or small one just because she's female.

Only bad encounter was this witch at the WalMart TLE shooting me angry looks and loudly talking about my pen15 to her boy. I walked by, leaned in and said "why grandma, what a big **** you have" and she called me an "ammosexual" and I thanked her and sat down right across from her and kept flipping the channels until she left. The TLE guy gave me a high 5 for giving it back to her. Was a kind of bad, mostly amusing encounter. Life is what you make it.

Maverick9

I understand Grapeshot don't take kindly to people posting about their Pen Fifteen on this here forum. You could be banned for dodging the forum nanny software.

Besides, your stories sound made up. Nobody is that agreeable.

wimwag

I understand Grapeshot don't take kindly to people posting about their Pen Fifteen on this here forum. You could be banned for dodging the forum nanny software.

How do I dodge a filter if I do not know that pen15 is against the rules? I was attempting to make what she said less crude. Does your spelling of pen fifteen make you less guilty than me writing pen15 with numerals? Let's be hypocrites!

wimwag

Doug, by all means tell us what you find humorous about that.

I'm willing to bet your focus on my genitalia is interlinked with your obsession with me. ******.

wimwag

Tire Lube Express. Get tires rotated, mounted, oil changes, fluids filled, all that good stuff. They even put a blue paint strip across the oil pan nut so other mechanics know WalMart was there.

Franky

The Brothers Grimm.:)

Law abider

WIMWAG:
When you visit Freedom in New Richmond, go to the one south down town. The manager's name is Jarl. He used to manage the Freedom in Ellsworth. Say hi to him from that gun toter from Ellsworth.

wimwag

WIMWAG:
When you visit Freedom in New Richmond, go to the one south down town. The manager's name is Jarl. He used to manage the Freedom in Ellsworth. Say hi to him from that gun toter from Ellsworth.

Which one is the south? The one by Family Fresh or the one with the Burger King and car wash? I'm picturing Jarl as the guy with the brown hair, moustache and glasses?

duckdog

It simply amazes me how many of these encounters you have. I especially like the way you straightened out the fictional old lady at Walmart. These stories do indeed sound made up.

wimwag

There are others who have many more encounters than me. I suppose these people are just getting the courage to say something to me after 5 years of carrying in their town.

What surprises me is the number of people on this forum who supposedly OC every day in states far less gun friendly than mine and in some where it requires a permit who never have anything good or bad to report. Makes me wonder if they're the type I've encountered that pat me on the back and tell me they love that I OC and that they ALWAYS CC and never give a reason why. "Nobody ever notices" my ass. Either you don't or you aren't paying attention to your surroundings.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
What surprises me is the number of people on this forum who supposedly OC every day in states far less gun friendly than mine and in some where it requires a permit who never have anything good or bad to report. Makes me wonder if they're the type I've encountered that pat me on the back and tell me they love that I OC and that they ALWAYS CC and never give a reason why. "Nobody ever notices" my ass. Either you don't or you aren't paying attention to your surroundings.

The only time I don't OC is when I have to go to school. I've been exclusively OCing in this state since 2007. I OC when I hike, when I take my daily run, when I buy groceries and when I go out to dinner. The vast majority of people simply do not react. Whether they "notice" is hard to say; does it enter into their vision? Does it impinge on their consciousness? Who knows?

My rough estimate is that something like .1% of folks have something negative to say, 1% of folks have something positive to say, 20% of folks notice but don't say anything, and the remaining 78.9% are completely oblivious.

Now, Virginia certainly qualifies as a "gun-friendly" state, but there are plenty of transplants in NoVA. Ironically, of the handful of negative encounters I've had, the majority were from "gun guys" (read: FUDDs) anyway. Also, my limited experience OCing in California was overwhelming not-negative (until OC was banned, of course).

I might turn it around and suggest that if you find reaction to be the norm, you are in some manner drawing attention to yourself before the gun even comes into play. (Not that I care or am criticizing you.)

Last edited: