• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cincinnati WEBN fireworks, No Weapons

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
For those who may not read out-of-state postings, especially those right across the Ohio River, I wanted to make you all aware of an open carry event which just concluded yesterday, but which may have to happen again.

A Cincinnati radio conglomerate puts on a fireworks show on the Ohio River on Labor Day weekend. They ban "weapons" from the event site - illegally. You may want to read the event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/605792739533573 or the thread on the Ohio forum: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?123572-Cincinnati-WEBN-fireworks-No-Weapons/page2

My sincere thanks to the six Kentuckians who crossed the river to take part.

Here's my report from the Facebook page:

First, a HUGE THANKS to those who came. I deeply appreciate your commitment, am glad to know those whom I just met, and was thrilled to see friends from past events.

My friend (who wishes to remain anonymous) and I showed up at 11AM. We quickly found that there was no entrance at the Purple People Bridge for the general public, but was instead at Bicentennial Commons, a short walk to the east, at Eggleston Avenue and US 52. (the other entrance was at Broadway & US 52)

At the entrance we looked at the list of “prohibited” items – neither weapons nor guns was listed. As we walked in I heard a woman say “No weapons” to a co-worker. We turned around and heard her co-worker say that she was told to report our description to the police. My friend and I sat down for a moment to discuss it, and I encouraged my friend to pursue the matter because he felt that we were being profiled. My friend spoke to the second woman, and asked for her boss. He came and said that the police requested that they do so, but couldn’t pinpoint *who* it was who made such a request. The woman’s boss’s boss ended up coming to the gate and assured us that no such order had been given (confusion which I find hard to believe). We asked that he make sure that the word went out to all gate workers, and he said he would do so immediately. None of us had anything said about firearms at either gate later in the day.

Another gate worker asked questions and we informed him of the law, both about firearms and about the “prohibitions” still in place. A female attendee overheard us and she and her husband asked various questions also. We were off to a great start!

Initially the crowd was sparse, but CPD officers paid no obvious attention to us, either then or later in the day. Apparently they’ve been told, in what I feel is a poor command decision, not to interact with open carriers unless they have a law enforcement reason to do so. As we walked various people noticed, some said “thanks”, and when we stopped to rest either I, my friend, or the people we stopped near started a conversation – every one of which was informative and rewarding for both us and the members of the public. On the OH side, and later on the KY side, I was surprised that a number of people recognized me from the Channel 12 interview, and one guy reached up to give me a “high five”, calling me the “open carry dude”! LOL

Fairly early in the day we ran into Dave Wukusick. He told us that earlier in the day the signage around the entrances had included “No weapons” verbiage, then later was covered over, but by the time my friend and I arrived the panel with that language had been replaced entirely, omitting the illegal prohibition! Maybe they figured out that I was serious with my threat to inform any unarmed victims of Clear Channel’s deception?

We ran into the reporter from Channel 12 (Brad Underwood) who did the earlier story. I expressed my appreciation to him for what I felt was a good story, and told him that he cracked the City Solicitor, who upheld the deception until asked if the prohibition was legal. As he and I were talking an attendee came up and offered his hand to me, and said “Thank you for what you’re doing”. I turned to the reporter and said something to the effect of “Did you see that? That’s the kind of thing your story and us being here has accomplished”.

During the day a number of people made it clear to us that either a) they were carrying concealed despite the illegal prohibition, 2) they chose not to carry because of the illegal prohibition, or 3) they wouldn’t have been carrying anyway, but were disgusted by the deceptive practices of Clear Channel and the City of Cincinnati.

What struck me in talking to everyone who participated is how and who approached them to ask questions or make a statement. It’s interesting to find out who is willing to ask questions, and of what participants. Having a cross-section of people really helps with outreach.

An hour or so before it closed, I crossed the Purple People Bridge with Cory Curl and walked the KY side of the river for a half hour or so. Some police officers at the flood gates said “Those guys have guns” as we walked in, but although I was evidently recognized by attendees, people either didn’t notice we were carrying, or didn’t consider a big deal at all.

Participants: people came and went during the day because of other commitments, but the total number of people in the group was between 15 and 20, 80-90% of whom were openly carrying.

There is no doubt that the overall goal was achieved – that of pushing the parties to back off. This was done with the considerable help of my friend, by Mike Titus, Channel 12, and everyone who showed up. Again, THANK YOU so much.

Now to get busy on Oktoberfest Zinzinnati’s rules. Stay tuned!

Brian D.

See my post in the Ohio thread on the fireworks about the Purple People Bridge, BB62. To the best of my understanding that bridge is nowadays privately owned.

willy1094

For those who may not read out-of-state postings, especially those right across the Ohio River, I wanted to make you all aware of an open carry event which just concluded yesterday, but which may have to happen again...

I was following this closely. I didn't send anything on your FB page because I could not attend, but I couldn't wait to hear the feedback Monday morning. You all did a great job. :banana: