• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are the laws in Michigan concerning shooting in the city limits?

birddseedd

I want to build a range in my basement, if i do it right you wont be able to hear a thing outside, but, just in case there is a small sound and someone discovers im shooting, what are the laws?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Apply for a building permit and find out....I see no reason why you cannot. You have the right to practice with your guns. See Ezell v. Chicago.

Cost of bldg permit = zero, if denied
Cost to appeal before board = zero
Cost to appeal to court = some $$, see courthouse or statues

Last edited:

WARCHILD

This is the info I got last year when I checked into doing the same. I live in the township so city ordinances don't apply. I can only speak of the requirements I was told I would have to meet.

Building/Construction permit: yes, because of the hazardous waste you will be producing. i.e.: lead (bullets/fragments), powder smoke (carbons and other gases)
Inspected and approved ventilation and filters because of above waste.
All pipes: gas, water, sewer, in the area must be protected.
Inspected and approved bullet trap.
Disposal plan of waste.

I didn't check any further into the regs because the costs of the above requirements were too much for me to afford.
All of this may/not apply to your situation. Just an FYI as to what I was told.

birddseedd

This is the info I got last year when I checked into doing the same. I live in the township so city ordinances don't apply. I can only speak of the requirements I was told I would have to meet.

Building/Construction permit: yes, because of the hazardous waste you will be producing. i.e.: lead (bullets/fragments), powder smoke (carbons and other gases)
Inspected and approved ventilation and filters because of above waste.
All pipes: gas, water, sewer, in the area must be protected.
Inspected and approved bullet trap.
Disposal plan of waste.

I didn't check any further into the regs because the costs of the above requirements were too much for me to afford.
All of this may/not apply to your situation. Just an FYI as to what I was told.

were those ordinances of your township. Or did they reference state laws for those.

Thanks

WARCHILD

That info was from the township supervisor for building permits. He also said I may/not have to inform and get my neighbors permission but wasn't sure of it. I didn't bother to find out with regards to that since I wasn't going to pursue it any further.

birddseedd

That info was from the township supervisor for building permits. He also said I may/not have to inform and get my neighbors permission but wasn't sure of it. I didn't bother to find out with regards to that since I wasn't going to pursue it any further.

I wonder if your township is aware that they are breaking the law by creating firearm legislation.

have any clue what kind of filter can be used for a range?

davidmcbeth

Banned
it wouldn't be a commercial range just my ownso there really wouldn't be a permit for it.

You would still likely need a building permit. Call up your town/township's bldg dept and make an inquiry.

I would tell them ya ain't gonna use lead projectiles.

Last edited:

birddseedd

You would still likely need a building permit. Call up your town/township's bldg dept and make an inquiry.

I would tell them ya ain't gonna use lead projectiles.

If you have a garage sale, you need a permit. im rebuilding my bathroom, yep, they want a permit there too. need to put a new carpet in, yea. they want money for that too.

if you get to know me, youll realize, i don't give a pet crow about them and their money grabs. i pay my taxes. and yet my very business itself is against the law, since i park my truck and trailer at my house. they want near 400 bucks just to have a meeting for them to say no. didnt do that either.

when im carrying dry wall down my basement, im pretty confident they are not going to suite up with their armor and full auto rifles to prevent me from taking drywall and 2x4's to the basement. i need a new sink, not paying their bribe for the privilege of giving my family a working sink either.

I will however, do all of this in a safe and correct manner.

birddseedd

Interesting ... perhaps correct. Filter? I assume a hepa filter.

its called preemption. no government lower than the state of Michigan can create firearms legislation. not all states are like this. knives do not have preemption. any town can outlaw knives, cross the street with a pocket knife and you can be arrested, charged and convicted.

some are trying to change this.

birddseedd

I can find out what filter. just ask a range or hvac guy. here is the hard part

sound will channel through, how do a baffle it?

SpringerXDacp

I wonder if your township is aware that they are breaking the law by creating firearm legislation.

have any clue what kind of filter can be used for a range?

The state, under preemption (Act 319 of 1990), allows cities and charter townships to control discharge of firearms. See MCL 123.1104. Corunna, is a city.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The state, under preemption (Act 319 of 1990), allows cities and charter townships to control discharge of firearms. See MCL 123.1104. Corunna, is a city.

2nd amendment trumps that .. one has a right to practice ... I don't see where they can say no, just for saying no.

birddseedd

2nd amendment trumps that .. one has a right to practice ... I don't see where they can say no, just for saying no.

they don't say "no", they just regulate you to the point its just not particle to be done.

such as they did with our last lead smelter. they didnt shut them down, just placed 1 million dollars worth of legislation requirements. it just wasnt profitable for them to continue.

davidmcbeth

Banned
they don't say "no", they just regulate you to the point its just not particle to be done.

such as they did with our last lead smelter. they didnt shut them down, just placed 1 million dollars worth of legislation requirements. it just wasnt profitable for them to continue.

I would think that a simple fan, exhausting to the outside and using copper projectiles would make it affordable.

What were you going to do? Just start shooting at a bale of hay in the living room?

I think having a gun range would raise the value of the place too.

davidmcbeth

Banned
lol, thats what i told my wife.

just take a part of my basement, wall it off, wall off the ceiling. then build a big box at one end filled with sand.

Sounds like a plan ... a bad plan lol. You need more R&D on how to build a range, that's all, that's why getting a permit is good...the bldg inspector can help you.

Last edited: