• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are the laws in Michigan concerning shooting in the city limits?

FreeInAZ

As said all cities & townships can & do regulate the discharge of firearms. Not just in MI. Your best bet is to find some state land as close as possible to you where shooting is allowed. Not the answer your looking for, but it's one that will keep you out of jail/court. Try visiting or calling your nearest MI DNR office. They should be able to tell you exactly where you can shoot that's closest to you, not necessarily an outdoor range but a forest area where you can shoot. As always it will be up to you to know your backstops and use safe shooting habits. Remember most folks don't think about state lands for shooting so it may be a good alternative for you, calm peaceful shooting practice in the outdoors. ;)

Last edited:

birddseedd

As said all cities & townships can & do regulate the discharge of firearms. Not just in MI. Your best bet is to find some state land as close as possible to you where shooting is allowed. Not the answer your looking for, but it's one that will keep you out of jail/court. Try visiting or calling your nearest MI DNR office. They should be able to tell you exactly where you can shoot that's closest to you, not necessarily an outdoor range but a forest area where you can shoot. As always it will be up to you to know your backstops and use safe shooting habits. Remember most folks don't think about state lands for shooting so it may be a good alternative for you, calm peaceful shooting practice in the outdoors. ;)

My township doesnt have any laws on it. The nearest public range is 45 minutes away.

Statisticially cleaning your gun is more dangerous than shooting. So if i follow basic safety rules i should be fine.

birddseedd

iv been gawking over this design for a long time now. but metal isnt cheap. even with it tho, i still wouldnt feel comfortable without a sand backstop behind the bullet trap.

something has to catch the bullets my wife misses :D

edit, what size metal do you think would be sufficient for hand gun loads? when i priced out the metal i chose pretty thick, having no experience in what size metal will stop a hand gun round, obviously real thick means $$$

Last edited:

birddseedd

interesting, there is actually an exemption in our code for the sound of firearms. flying model airplane however, now that one can get you arrested. that and riding a horse.

hehe, part of me wants to do it without sound deadening to see their resolve on enforcing their laws. course, the rational part of me realizes thats a horrible idea for many reasons not related to government.

now, i might buy a model helicopter and call the police..... because that one is stupid.

oh, also, firearms are illegal here. yep. that is what the law says

Last edited:

TheQ

We once had a fellow here that wanted to build a range in his trailer home in a trailer park. Real genius he was.

On a serious note: aren't you concerned about lead/mercury contamination?

birddseedd

We once had a fellow here that wanted to build a range in his trailer home in a trailer park. Real genius he was.

On a serious note: aren't you concerned about lead/mercury contamination?

Ventilation will be built into it. I just need to figure out what type of filtration is needed. And how to keep sound out of the system. Maybe baffle it after the filter

TheQ

Ventilation will be built into it. I just need to figure out what type of filtration is needed. And how to keep sound out of the system. Maybe baffle it after the filter

Ventilation is fine and dandy, but what about the lead that lands on the floor? You know, lead that falls out of the air and lands on the basement floor in the form of dust.

birddseedd

Ventilation is fine and dandy, but what about the lead that lands on the floor? You know, lead that falls out of the air and lands on the basement floor in the form of dust.

It will be contained within the range walls able to be cleaned and disposed

OC for ME

iv been gawking over this design for a long time now. but metal isnt cheap. even with it tho, i still wouldnt feel comfortable without a sand backstop behind the bullet trap.

something has to catch the bullets my wife misses :D

edit, what size metal do you think would be sufficient for hand gun loads? when i priced out the metal i chose pretty thick, having no experience in what size metal will stop a hand gun round, obviously real thick means $$$
Google "ballistic steel" and see who may be a vendor in your area.

Here is but one source that addresses your question.

http://www.ballisticsupplies.com/steel.html

birddseedd

What township is this?

MI_XD

No person shall possess or use a firearm, explosive material (including fireworks), dangerous substance, or any device which discharges projectiles by means of air pressure, explosive device, chemical reactions or similar means, in any facility, unless carried by a duly authorized law enforcement officer; by a person licensed to carry a concealed weapon under Act No. 372 of the P.A. of 1927, as amended; or by written permission of the Commission or its Staff.

davidmcbeth

Banned
No person shall possess or use a firearm, explosive material (including fireworks), dangerous substance, or any device which discharges projectiles by means of air pressure, explosive device, chemical reactions or similar means, in any facility, unless carried by a duly authorized law enforcement officer; by a person licensed to carry a concealed weapon under Act No. 372 of the P.A. of 1927, as amended; or by written permission of the Commission or its Staff.

I don't think your home is a "facility"

FreeInAZ

I was not talking about a range, anyone can can shoot on state land where permitted. You just need to get clear details on where that is exactly. That's why I suggested you talk to the DNR, they can give exact locations close to you right down to GPS coordinates if you want them.

As usual you don't comprehend what is being typed. ALL MI cities/townships have the ability to regulate the DISCHARGE of firearms. Regardless if they have a ordinance or not on the books. So build your indoor range. You will most likely be fined or worse. Don't take my word for it - after your basement range is up & running invite the local police chief over for a match. Report back to us on how splendid it went. ;)

Last edited:

birddseedd

As usual you don't comprehend what is being typed. ALL MI cities/townships have the ability to regulate the DISCHARGE of firearms. Regardless if they have a ordinance or not on the books. So build your indoor range. You will most likely be fined or worse. Don't take my word for it - after your basement range is up & running invite the local police chief over for a match. Report back to us on how splendid it went. ;)

yes. i understand completely. as i have mentioned above, the township I live in, has not regulated the discharge of firearms on private land.

FreeInAZ

Not jumping on you. You ask for advice then scoff at it. This is your "thing", I guess? So be it! When things go south for you, don't expect a lot of sympathy from the posters here. You are your own worst enemy IMHO. I wish you luck, as it appears you will need it. :eek: