• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are the laws in Michigan concerning shooting in the city limits?

birddseedd

wait, i just read that again. you essentially said, they can regulate the discharge of firearms, without regulating it......

im not so sure you understand how the law works. for the government to regulate something, they have to write regulation...

FreeInAZ

yes. i understand completely. as i have mentioned above, the township I live in, has not regulated the discharge of firearms on private land.
Your township may very well once they find out about your "indoor range". Those cities & township that don't (yet) do so allowing for safe outdoor recreational shooting.

FreeInAZ

wait, i just read that again. you essentially said, they can regulate the discharge of firearms, without regulating it......

im not so sure you understand how the law works. for the government to regulate something, they have to write regulation...

Right troll - they will once they see your home range. Let's hope they don't punish safe outdoor shooters in their jurisdiction in the process. It is people like you that make law makers giddy, you keep them fat & happy.

Last edited:

birddseedd

Your township may very well once they find out about your "indoor range". Those cities & township that don't (yet) do so allowing for safe outdoor recreational shooting.

creating a law to stop one individual from doing something they don't like would be easy to over turn as it would be prejudiced against one individual. none the less. i just won't tell them. problem solved.

FreeInAZ

creating a law to stop one individual from doing something they don't like would be easy to over turn as it would be prejudiced against one individual. none the less. i just won't tell them. problem solved.

Ok - that is a great idea. Something tells me you may very well avoid detection for a good while.

birddseedd

tho, as mentioned above, it was decided in another court that practicing is covered by the 2nd amendment. would have to appeal up to a higher court and use that one for a presidence

$$$ to do tho. more than i have.

birddseedd

how exactly did i scoff at someones advice anyway? i asked what the michigan law says, i was shown what the law says, down to the very statue, and was able to get the exact information i asked for. im thankful for the help, how is that scoffing?

FreeInAZ

Look - for someone who can't afford to fill their primary pistol magazine to its capacity, I highly doubt you have found the resources to build a safe/functional indoor home gun range. No knock against you for not having a lot of money. My point above was why not use the FREE land available to shoot yours and others taxes have already bought? In the case of the one fellow the Q likes to mention, he following sound advice, was able to find a legal place near him to shoot. I am fairly sure as you have pointed out, you can simply shoot in your yard if you have the clearance/distance from roads/neighbors to allow it? You want to dance around the legal fires? Then you better have the money for a good lawyer, which by your own words...you do not! Correct? Do as you will, it's your money & freedom you are gambling with.

Oh and by the way - this site is HEAVILY monitored by LE, don't be shocked when your own words show up against you in a prosecutors evidence file. It has happened to another famous poster in the MI sub forum.

Last edited:

birddseedd

Look - for someone who can't afford to fill their primary pistol magazine to its capacity, I highly doubt you have found the resources to build a safe/functional indoor home gun range. No knock against you for not having a lot of money. My point above was why not use the FREE land available to shoot yours and others taxes have already bought? In the case of the one fellow the Q likes to mention, he following sound advice, was able to find a legal place near him to shoot. I am fairly sure as you have pointed out, you can simply shoot in your yard if you have the clearance/distance from roads/neighbors to allow it? You want to dance around the legal fires? Then you better have the money for a good lawyer, which by your own words...you do not! Correct? Do as you will, it's your money & freedom you are gambling with.

Oh and by the way - this site is HEAVILY monitored by LE, don't be shocked when your own words show up against you in a prosecutors evidence file. It has happened to another famous poster in the MI sub forum.

its not really free if i have to drive a couple towns over in a truck. Yea im broke atm. but iv started cutting people off and will soon be taking some folks to court. so this will be more like a winter spring project.

as far as "legal fires". there is no statue anywhere that says it can not be done. the worse they could do is write one then tell me i have to stop using it. there is nothing remotely illegal about it. the public land where i live however, it is illegal to target practice. gotta head north for that.

birddseedd

I would understand the warnings if i was doing something dangerous or illegal, but, im not. in fact the law, here, even makes exceptions to allow firearm use in private property.

as far as money goes. im sure my wife will be able to find some cheap supplies once i have a few bucks to spend. doesn't need to be new.

FreeInAZ

Have you checked with the DNR for land near you that could be legally used to shoot on? The fellow I mentioned earlier was able to find land very near his home in Davidson. Just saying how do you know you have to drive "towns" away to shoot? You don't need a range to shoot at, just state or BLM land where shooting is legal.

birddseedd

Have you checked with the DNR for land near you that could be legally used to shoot on? The fellow I mentioned earlier was able to find land very near his home in Davidson. Just saying how do you know you have to drive "towns" away to shoot? You don't need a range to shoot at, just state or BLM land where shooting is legal.

yea. the closest one is 45 minutes away. all the ones around here you cant even hunt with a rifle larger than .22, strictly can not target practice.

Sheldon

Check with the NRA they have advisor's on indoor range construction, but sound proofing, bullet protection from ricochet, and VENATION LOTS OF VENTILATION!!!!