Thread: OC get togethers

OC get togethers

Are there any OC get togethers in the Altus area I will be moving down that way within 60 days and I am used to carrying all the time up here in Washington. I lived in that area years ago. But they have gotten OC since then .
    Last edited by 1911er; 09-02-2014 at 09:02 PM.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Most of the get togethers are around Tulsa. Mainly because there is a guy in the Tulsa area that sets them up. No one that I'm aware of in any other part of the state wants to try setting things up in their area.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be accepted as legal advice

OKOCA typically holds several. You can check out their Facebook for events here. There is currently one scheduled in Tulsa on Sept 14th.

Question What?!?

Perhaps those could be posted here... in the appropriate thread on the forum... so everyone will know.
    Instead of assuming people have a facebook?

When is this and where?

Unhappy lack of announcement

I could have brought a family of 7 of there had been announcement information here ahead of time.
    ...And I'm thinking ladies carrying would do more for the cause than a bunch of us guys.

Sorry, didn't see this until now. They have a website as well, but unfortunately, their events page is lacking on information. Here is the information from their Facebook Events:

Hi everyone, how about some good food, good company and a short SDA refresher !? Join us at Apple Barrel Café Sunday September 14th at 2pm. Bring some friends and family with you. As always open carry, CC, or no carry welcome! Looking forward to seeing you there..-Eddie

When I first joined this site, we had a lunch meet once a month in the Oklahoma City area. Don't know what happened. I will not drive to tulsa for lunch. Nor anywhere else. I live in Oklahoma City, and that's where I stay.

Probably going to delete my account here shortly. Not much activity at all any more. Pointless looking in on it every day, and nothing's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    When I first joined this site, we had a lunch meet once a month in the Oklahoma City area. Don't know what happened. I will not drive to tulsa for lunch. Nor anywhere else. I live in Oklahoma City, and that's where I stay.

Probably going to delete my account here shortly. Not much activity at all any more. Pointless looking in on it every day, and nothing's happening.
    might try going out in the community OC'g and come back and share your personal experiences as well as set up your own lunch/dinner/OC'g event to find like minded folk. if you wait for someone else to schedule they are sitting by their computer awaiting someone else to schedule ~ ad nauseam.

HOWEVER... personally i believe you won't OC, ever, as evidenced by your comments posted on this site back in nov 14th...

from your previous postings dating back to Nov 14 quote as you responded to JHART's post, quote: I have posted and shared some of my experiences over the last year, but don't post much here anymore, because I no longer open carry. unquote

your response, quote: I feel the same as you, and feel very uncomfortable open carrying. I have not seen one other person doing so since I joined this site, the exception being the monthly meets we used to have. Been a long time since we had one of them here locally. unquote.

tell you what, a challenge...put your firearm on and OC at wally world this afternoon & come back and share your experience with us. please taking care to slyly notice other's expressions and tell us their reaction.

ipse
    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Wally World? Are you serious? Haven't been in one of them crack houses in years. Not going to start today. In any event, I have to go to work here shortly. Work at Tinker. Can't OC there. Can't carry at all. LOL

I'm not an organizer. The guys who used to set up these luncheons were the guys who started the whole OC thing rolling. They seem to have vanished, or they go to Tulsa all the time. Whatever. I'm not starting anything. I'm simply going to leave this site starting today.

Adios.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Wally World? Are you serious? Haven't been in one of them crack houses in years. Not going to start today. In any event, I have to go to work here shortly. Work at Tinker. Can't OC there. Can't carry at all. LOL

I'm not an organizer. The guys who used to set up these luncheons were the guys who started the whole OC thing rolling. They seem to have vanished, or they go to Tulsa all the time. Whatever. I'm not starting anything. I'm simply going to leave this site starting today.

Adios.
    Why?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Huh

I'm from Oklahoma, and I open carry daily. I don't need validation from others on a website. It would be nice to meet some like minded 2A advocates, but the majority of folks I encounter on a day to day basis don't mind or don't even notice.

Hell, I'll eat lunch with ya if you're still hungry lol
    Last edited by mynameiscolb; 03-14-2016 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameiscolb View Post
    Huh

I'm from Oklahoma, and I open carry daily. I don't need validation from others on a website. It would be nice to meet some like minded 2A advocates, but the majority of folks I encounter on a day to day basis don't mind or don't even notice.

Hell, I'll eat lunch with ya if you're still hungry lol
    sure you aren't one of the tulsa clan clob?

ya read cbxer's post... wont leave OKC and go nowhere else...ever...cuz that's where their staying...always!!

sigh...

keep in touch when i pass through i will take you up on your lunch/early dinner offer...

ipse
    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    sure you aren't one of the tulsa clan clob?

ya read cbxer's post... wont leave OKC and go nowhere else...ever...cuz that's where their staying...always!!

sigh...

keep in touch when i pass through i will take you up on your lunch/early dinner offer...

ipse
    Haha no sir. I'm an OKC resident and have been most of my life. I've only seen one other OC'er since it became "legal" 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameiscolb View Post
    Haha no sir. I'm an OKC resident and have been most of my life. I've only seen one other OC'er since it became "legal" 4 years ago.
    well thank goodness you didn't specifically say no to meeting for a bite to eat as most would...

ipse

well thank goodness you didn't specifically say no to meeting for a bite to eat as most would...

ipse
    I love food and guns too much to say no! Lol

One of the problems that has been plaguing the open carry movement is the lack of coordinated events that rally people together. There is a group I used to be a board member of but left when it was badly mismanaged. I did get word though big changed are happening within that group though and as such there may be an uptick in it again. I am hoping that there is a resurgence of Open carry because as strong as it was when it started poor coordination among groups has kind of starved off the movement here.
    Full Supporter of the second Amendment!

Be careful seeking advice on Forums pertaining to law. Bad advice is often given from people who do not know or understand the law. Always read the law yourself and if you do not understand seek legal advice from a qualified legal expert. Following online advice can land you in legal trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 1st fan View Post
    One of the problems that has been plaguing the open carry movement is the lack of coordinated events that rally people together. There is a group I used to be a board member of but left when it was badly mismanaged. I did get word though big changed are happening within that group though and as such there may be an uptick in it again. I am hoping that there is a resurgence of Open carry because as strong as it was when it started poor coordination among groups has kind of starved off the movement here.
    When there is a crisis of some magnitude threatened or real against our RKBA, people will flock to join pro groups on a state and national level. They will rush out to buy guns and ammo when the heat is turned up that they might lose them or have to register them. The more pressure the antis exert, the more people get involved and become activists.

When things are running relatively smoothly, people tend to become complacent. There is a danger there that can bite you in the tender parts.

We do need to operate our forums and organizations as effectively as possible. We also need to beat the drum and blow the bugle to keep the momentum moving forward AND constantly introducing newbies to our cause.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    When there is a crisis of some magnitude threatened or real against our RKBA, people will flock to join pro groups on a state and national level. They will rush out to buy guns and ammo when the heat is turned up that they might lose them or have to register them. The more pressure the antis exert, the more people get involved and become activists.

When things are running relatively smoothly, people tend to become complacent. There is a danger there that can bite you in the tender parts.

We do need to operate our forums and organizations as effectively as possible. We also need to beat the drum and blow the bugle to keep the momentum moving forward AND constantly introducing newbies to our cause.
    Absolutely. We do need good quality management of the groups to keep them going as well. To flock to a group only to discover they dont share the same interest or level of enthusiasm can quickly defer people from the cause.

The group I was referring too had people who would give bad advice to people and you as I know that can get people in to legal problems and thus turn them sour to our cause. I have since learned they are reforming the leadership and though some are still there I dont agree with it is a step in the right direction. People need positive and accurate information and details. If they get arrested and claim a certain group of people told them it was ok to do what they were doing it wont get them off the legal hook. In fact it will cause them to tell their story to others who will opt to avoid said group all together.

You are right as well. We need groups that stand the cause and back the law. They encourage lawful activity and support new people wanting to learn in a positve manner and do away with alpha male syndrome prone people who think that God ordained them to be the all knowing gun guru.

Its very important everyone get onboard and be open minded about how we carry and the way we do it. The law needs to be clearly exlpained as well

Be careful seeking advice on Forums pertaining to law. Bad advice is often given from people who do not know or understand the law. Always read the law yourself and if you do not understand seek legal advice from a qualified legal expert. Following online advice can land you in legal trouble.

^ ^ ^ AND giving cites to the statute/law itself. The old adage of "trust, but confirm" applies. Point people in the right direction.

I saw it on the internet stinks as a defense in court.

See our Forum Rules #5:

5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-10-2016 at 04:39 PM. Reason: fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    ^ ^ ^ AND giving cites to the statute/law itself. The old adage of "trust, but confirm" applies. Point people in the right direction.

I saw it on the internet stinks as a defense in court.

See our Forum Rules #5:

5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
    Very true and people not citing did cause some issues but over all most people really diddnt take things here to heart.

Where i notice the real problem was facebook groups popped up claiming to represent carry. Their staff would cite laws to unsuspecting people that were not accurate. I have been blocked on a few groups for telling what the actual law said which doesnt bother me. When people start getting arrested because they trusted the advice they received it goes around on its own fast enough that the groups eventually suffer which is what ive witnessed happen to many groups.

The best advice i can give anyone is don't trust internet interpretations. Research the law yourself first hand because when your in court thats all you will have to back you or break you.
    Last edited by Glock 1st fan; 10-10-2016 at 05:21 PM.

glock, sorry the myriad of state's grassroots (gr) organizations who are pushing their perception to their individual state's legislators is the single most important obstacle that needing to be overcome.

nc's gr entity president only pushes the cc mentality of sane, sober, law biding citizens to our legislature, oh sorry i mispoke...they also pushed automatic legislation to the NC GA. their website proudly states they wrote and passed legislation.

SC doesnt even have a gr enity...

OH has several pushing different directions towards different goals at the same time.

ipse

glock, sorry the myriad of state's grassroots (gr) organizations who are pushing their perception to their individual state's legislators is the single most important obstacle that needing to be overcome.

nc's gr entity president only pushes the cc mentality of sane, sober, law biding citizens to our legislature, oh sorry i mispoke...they also pushed automatic legislation to the NC GA. their website proudly states they wrote and passed legislation.

OH has several pushing different directions towards different goals at the same time.

ipse
    It is true on this angle as well. I wont disagree with you on that. Looking at it on a larger scale too we have various grassroots pushing different directions its true. I recall several in Oklahoma alone pushing to fight for rights but I think it would be better served if all the groups got together and decided on a single course of action. Instead of fighting each other by pulling in different directions we could easily get on the same page and have a more powerful voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 1st fan View Post
    It is true on this angle as well. I wont disagree with you on that. Looking at it on a larger scale too we have various grassroots pushing different directions its true. I recall several in Oklahoma alone pushing to fight for rights but I think it would be better served if all the groups got together and decided on a single course of action. Instead of fighting each other by pulling in different directions we could easily get on the same page and have a more powerful voice.

gently climbing behind my lectern ~ uh kinda like the GLBT folks did from a national prospective to achieve what they have through state legislatures, national politics, and overcoming religious biases...
    1. http://wagingnonviolence.org/feature...lity-movement/

2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_m..._United_States

3. https://about.illinoisstate.edu/crit...011/GORDON.pdf

4. http://lawreview.law.ucdavis.edu/iss...5_Leachman.pdf

for some reason the state GR entities just can not grasp the basic concept to consolidate resources at the state level, then regionally, uniting nationally, and push... W/ or W/O the NRA's blessing. (gutshot, the one man show, being the exception in MHO)

for goodness sake, the firearm side of the house already has an original amendment from 1777, but for some unknown reason, the state GRs can't even agree amongst themselves what that means, says, or how to push the concept...

stepping away from the lectern...

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 10-10-2016 at 09:44 PM.

http://scfirearms.org/ Holds the field and is not accepting new members.

There will be no legal regular open carry while the NRA hegemony persists in South Carolina.
    I was not unserious with my suspicion of Gastaut-Geschwind Syndrome. No more quote mining, contextomy!. I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    http://scfirearms.org/ Holds the field and is not accepting new members.

There will be no legal regular open carry while the NRA hegemony persists in South Carolina.
    interesting you insist on dredging up this apparently abandoned cite w/o updating over 5 years. not accepting members...of course not the link has fallen into the bit bucket long ago...only thing functioning is the criminal activity which is now at 14M ~ this year alone!!

the pervasive exhibited of 'no legal regular OC...is it exactly how it will stay as long as there is nobody pushing. look what happened to the confederate flag flying over the state house in such a short time...

further, your persistence on the using the mantra that the NRA is completely responsible for no OC, without any type of objective evidence provided, is becoming a folklore legend which people believe.

ipse