• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA OC activist targeted for camping violations on his own farm

KBCraig

There are many google references to my case, if you want to research this.

https://www.rutherford.org/publicat...titute_sues_virginia_county_over_landowners_r

Citing the right of property owners to have a certain amount of sovereignty over what takes place on their own property, The Rutherford Institute has filed a lawsuit on behalf of a Virginia landowner who was prohibited from allowing a friend to camp on his 86-acre farm for a hunting excursion.

http://www.cfact.org/2014/01/22/lan...y-over-right-to-host-overnight-hunting-guest/

In yet another example of a busy-body local government harassing a law-abiding citizen, officials in Isle of Wight County, Virginia are trying to prohibit a farmer from allowing a disabled friend to stay overnight on his property in an RV. The farmer wanted to give his friend and guest an opportunity to go hunting on his 86-acre farm.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1110652/property-rights-lawsuit-sparked-by-virginia-overnight-hunting-rule/

Camping in your backyard with friends could be a thing of the past in Virginia. A property rights lawsuit began after Isle of Wight County officials was cited for operating an unauthorized campground on his farm. Joseph Ferguson was more than a little bit shocked when he faced legal penalties for allowing a pal for spend the night and go hunting on the property.

Old Virginia Joe

one week and counting . . . . . .

To keep you all informed who plan to go to the hearing, it is next week, Tuesday Sept 23, at 9:00 am, at the Suffolk Circuit Court room (even though it is filed in Isle of Wight County---a little confused as to why that is). A local attorney, backed by the Rutherford Institute will be representing me.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
First let me offer condolences on the loss of your friend.

Why is it that nobody seems to listen when one of the frogs in the pot notices the temperature of the water is rising? As a Native Virginian I am embarrassed that ANY county in my state would pass a law prohibiting a person from camping on his own farm. I might understand if we were talking about a townhouse lot or even a 1/2 acre lot in a subdivision, but this case is ridiculous and serves to show just how bad things are getting.

Best of luck with your fight
Regards

Old Virginia Joe

First let me offer condolences on the loss of your friend.

Why is it that nobody seems to listen when one of the frogs in the pot notices the temperature of the water is rising? As a Native Virginian I am embarrassed that ANY county in my state would pass a law prohibiting a person from camping on his own farm. I might understand if we were talking about a townhouse lot or even a 1/2 acre lot in a subdivision, but this case is ridiculous and serves to show just how bad things are getting.

Best of luck with your fight
Regards

Thanks for the condolenses. He was a fine gentleman.

These zoning employees have to "do something" TO us, to make a resume, so they can be promoted and have a career, so they email their buddies all over the country, saying "look what I did in my county!" Like a toddler pointing to his pile of poop on the floor, proudly! THIS is what we are dealing with here. These people need to be shut up! They work for us, but the elected officials are the novices, and the employees are the professionals here, and they tell the elected officials what to do and how they should vote to pass all this crap!

OC for ME

Why such a requirement exists? Follow the money. Believe it or not counties have very little income other than property taxes in most cases. Any burden they can place on citizens that generate revenue will be placed until the citizenry pushes back. What is disgusting is that a sheriff and his deputies would enforce such a edict.

AJG

Joe,

Who is the "someone" that filed the complaint?
And have you ever found out why the "someone" filed the complaint?
I mean a camper on a 86 acre farm camper being "visited" isnt something (to me) that just a cursory glance would reveal...

Old Virginia Joe

Joe,

Who is the "someone" that filed the complaint?
And have you ever found out why the "someone" filed the complaint?
I mean a camper on a 86 acre farm camper being "visited" isnt something (to me) that just a cursory glance would reveal...

We don't know, and really don't see that identity as the pressing issue. We cannot do anything about that county tattle-tale complaint policy. We have our suspicions. When you can see the trailer from the road, and a truck is parked there occassionally overnight during hunting season, a reasonable person might guess there is someone in there, right? Afterall, some of those 86 acres adjoin the county road, right? This is a row-crop farm, with the open land adjoining the road, the woods in the back of the property.

ETA: Remember, we were not trying to hide anything! We never knew anything about using our own land to camp was a crime, or illegal at all. Neither did the people we talked to about this, because EVERYone has camped on their own land at one time or another. This is what is so ridiculous about a local county making such a law on the People like this! I say it would be like a family having a neighborhood ballgame on their land, and the county coming and saying "You don't have a park permit, so you have to cease." Or someone having a party, and the county saying "you don't have a health department food/restaurant permit." Just as ludicrous! Martha Boneta (look her up on google) of Virginia had just such a situation when she had a birthday party for 10 little girls at her place, and her county came down on her and said she had to have a permit! These are real cases, people!

Last edited:

mobeewan

My dad has 40 acres of land in King William Co. Over the years we have camped a few times over night with a truck camper or tents for 2 day hunts during hunting season. Due to the gullies that run through the property we always camped within sight of the road. Several years ago I bought my first travel trailer, a small 18 footer and we would camp for a week each at Thanksgiving and Christmas each year. Once I used it for a single 2 week trip. I now have a larger 28 foot travel trailer. Before I bought a generator I even enquired with the county zoning to see what was required to have a pole put up so I would be able to have power when I brought the trailer up. They were fully aware I was going to be using a trailer for occasional camping, that the trailers had self contained holding tanks for waste water and it would not be a problem. I was told the land was zoned for farming and there was no problem having the power cooperative install a pole and meter. I contacted the cooperative and was told they could do it and there would be a minimum monthly fee whether I used any power or not. But as I said I wound up buying a generator for the trailers. I also cemented a pole next to the road for my satellite dish with a hundred feet of cable so I could aim it for a good clear signal. Hey I was there for a week at a time. Sounds like King William Co is a lot friendlier to nonresident land owners.

Old Virginia Joe

My dad has 40 acres of land in King William Co. Over the years we have camped a few times over night with a truck camper or tents for 2 day hunts during hunting season. Due to the gullies that run through the property we always camped within sight of the road. Several years ago I bought my first travel trailer, a small 18 footer and we would camp for a week each at Thanksgiving and Christmas each year. Once I used it for a single 2 week trip. I now have a larger 28 foot travel trailer. Before I bought a generator I even enquired with the county zoning to see what was required to have a pole put up so I would be able to have power when I brought the trailer up. They were fully aware I was going to be using a trailer for occasional camping, that the trailers had self contained holding tanks for waste water and it would not be a problem. I was told the land was zoned for farming and there was no problem having the power cooperative install a pole and meter. I contacted the cooperative and was told they could do it and there would be a minimum monthly fee whether I used any power or not. But as I said I wound up buying a generator for the trailers. I also cemented a pole next to the road for my satellite dish with a hundred feet of cable so I could aim it for a good clear signal. Hey I was there for a week at a time. Sounds like King William Co is a lot friendlier to nonresident land owners.

Wow, what a decent county, with common-sense government. Be thankful! "You never appreciate the water til the well runs dry. . . . ."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Wow, what a decent county, with common-sense government. Be thankful! "You never appreciate the water til the well runs dry. . . . ."

Lunenburg doesn't allow camping for longer than a year at a time. You have to take a few days off in between.
That was something I tried to convey months ago. As a farmer you're entitled to have non registered and non licensed vehicles and equipment. Campers are sort of business offices to us. The county far overstepped state law IMO.

I may miss tomorrow Joe,. The wife is not feeling well. If I do, best of luck to you!

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Lunenburg doesn't allow camping for longer than a year at a time. You have to take a few days off in between.
That was something I tried to convey months ago. As a farmer you're entitled to have non registered and non licensed vehicles and equipment. Campers are sort of business offices to us. The county far overstepped state law IMO.

I may miss tomorrow Joe,. The wife is not feeling well. If I do, best of luck to you!
Best wishes to your keeper. I hope she feels better soon.

Old Virginia Joe

!

There are lots of ways like this that the issue of preventing people from using trailers or tents as permanent living residences could be accomplished. For instance, I work with a former New York state health inspector, who say up there they allow up to five camping units on a property before they enforce any regulation. When I suggested such thinking as that and what Peter Nap described to the zoning boss, she just says we don't have the resources, nor intend to ride herd on such things, keeping record of who spent what night where how often, yada yada. I understand that, but other places seem to make it work, don't they? If they have a place they suspect is doing wrong, simple investigation of an hour or two would reveal the facts. They have an agenda here, and they won't be budged, until they have to. Let the budging begin . . . . .