Thread: Leesburg/Loudoun County Lawyer

Leesburg/Loudoun County Lawyer

anyone know an attorney in Leesburg/Loudoun County that can assist with a FOIA request. It's for a friend; Leesburg PD is giving him the run around.

Banned
    http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/TOC0...0000000000.HTM

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+2.2-3704

What's the issue .. usually a lawyer is not needed for a records request. Are they claiming an exemption or exception?

Or is it just taking too much time?

Any civil attny should be able to handle the case. Expect 5-10K for a simple cases and up to 40K for a complicated one that needs a court review.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+2.2-3713

Looks like a mandamus action is the appropriate .. and legal fees may be recoverable with costs...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/TOC0...0000000000.HTM

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+2.2-3704

What's the issue .. usually a lawyer is not needed for a records request. Are they claiming an exemption or exception?

Or is it just taking too much time?

Any civil attny should be able to handle the case. Expect 5-10K for a simple cases and up to 40K for a complicated one that needs a court review.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+2.2-3713

Looks like a mandamus action is the appropriate .. and legal fees may be recoverable with costs...

Thanks. It's a harassment case with fraudulent 911 calls. PD is claiming exception, privacy concerns. The few attorneys called don't want to file.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cyras21 View Post
    Thanks. It's a harassment case with fraudulent 911 calls. PD is claiming exception, privacy concerns. The few attorneys called don't want to file.
    Contact Dan Hawes in Haymarket. I don't know if he'll file but the answer you get will be in depth and honest.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    For contact information on Dan Hawes:

http://www.virginialegaldefense.com/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Beware "legal" advice from out-of-state posters ... *coughMCBETHcough*. You have received the best and most correct advice: Dan Hawes. There is none better regarding Virginia law.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Beware "legal" advice from out-of-state posters ... *coughMCBETHcough*. You have received the best and most correct advice: Dan Hawes. There is none better regarding Virginia law.
    + 1000

This list comes from the VCDL website.

Gun friendly lawyers:
    http://www.hkshooter.net/lawyers/

Banned
    Normally 911 calls are public records with many state's FOIA laws .... I don't see an exception or exemption (but it could exist - it would be written in a statue if so) ... and common law does not specifically exempt 911 calls. I would ask for their statutory citation for not providing the records.

If you have a pending civil or criminal case, some states have seen that a FOIA request may conflict with discovery in the case, ie jumping the court's jurisdiction in discovery (some states see no conflict).

And with many states, an agency cannot claim a privacy concern for a person - that person needs to plead a privacy concern. I would do another FOIA request asking for any records regarding the claim of a privacy issue.

There are usually 3 places exemptions and exceptions are based upon: 1) specifically listed in the records act 2) specifically listed in other statues of the state, federal law, etc 3) common law

Stuff under an exemption is not required or is mandated by law to be withheld but does give an agency a legal reason not to provide. Exceptions can usually not be disclosed even if the agency wants to disclose (usually have penalties for disclosure). And common law reasons can be waived.

Understanding the records laws regarding 911 tapes should not be a major issue .. news media seeks these all the time ... go to goggle scholar and do some research for free or to a courthouse and use their resources. The annotated statues books may have cases listed there for 911 calls.

If you want to pay a lawyer some cash for an easy legal search that's your prerogative.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    If ANYTHING I said was inaccurate ... then say so.

Oh wait, you can't.

I guess giving some information helpful is frowned upon by certain goofs.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 09-06-2014 at 11:39 AM.

If ANYTHING I said was inaccurate ... then say so.

Oh wait, you can't.

I guess giving some information helpful is frowned upon by certain goofs.
    Well, I'll say so for him David, as usual it was inaccurate.

This is Virginia and the PD's are subject to Virginia law. No one other than you is concerned with other states or federal FOIA law.

In Virginia, Law Enforcement has extraordinary exemptions to withhold information. If for instance, there was a crime committed or a possible crime is even suspected, it falls within their exemption. If a response involves any of the unspecified "Security" policies within that department, they can withhold the information.
    Many others and several times a year the FOIA Commission considers ways to make PD's more transparent but so far, not much action.

He can file a writ of Mandamus and ask the Judge to decide if they are being unreasonable, but generally local judges side with the locality.

His best bet at this point would be to request an opinion from the FOIA Commission, then take it from there.

At least he got some sort of response. They usually just ignore it because there really isn't a fixed penalty. A judge MAY levy a fine of a thousand dollars but that's extremely rare. My best success when one is ignored is by filming me serving a second request on the County/City Attorney. That almost always works.
    Last edited by peter nap; 09-06-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Well, I'll say so for him David, as usual it was inaccurate.

You clearly do not know the laws regarding FOIA requests...to claim that federal laws can have no bearing on a state record request is flat out wrong.

Stop arguing with a person with much more experience and knowledge and go back to handing out stickers. You're harmless in those activities.

Example: No state DMV in the country can provide DL info via a FOIA/records request due to 18 USC Sec. 2721, a federal law...an exception to any record request.

You clearly do not know the laws regarding FOIA requests...to claim that federal laws can have no bearing on a state record request is flat out wrong.

Stop arguing with a person with much more experience and knowledge and go back to handing out stickers. You're harmless in those activities.

Example: No state DMV in the country can provide DL info via a FOIA/records request due to 18 USC Sec. 2721, a federal law...an exception to any record request.
    David, I'm not arguing with you. I corrected you and stand by it. Since you have the mentality of a sack of rocks, it's pointless to argue. You are a very poor lawyer if indeed you are a lawyer at all.!
    Last edited by peter nap; 09-06-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Banned
    David, I'm not arguing with you. I corrected you and stand by it. Since you have the mentality of a sack of rocks, it's pointless to argue. You are a very poor lawyer if indeed you are a lawyer at all.!
    You disparaged me ... expect me to let the world know that you did so wrongly ...

The OP has enough info I think ... no need to chk on this thread anymore
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 09-06-2014 at 06:33 PM.

The boy who cried "wolf"

davidmacbeth, your problem when you post anything (in my opinion) is that many people are used to your frivolous and pretty much idiotic comments. If you ever say anything that is correct, no one knows simply because your reputation precedes you and your words are treated in the same manner as the cries of the boy in Aesop's tale.

That said, peter nap has plenty of experience of filing FOIA requests in Virginia, Grapeshot and skidmark are the sticker people (as well as many other activities that no one hears about), but I've never seen peter nap hand a sticker to anyone. Doesn't mean he hasn't done so, just means I haven't seen him if he did.

As for him disparaging you, well he doesn't need to make you look like an idiot when your Creator was able to complete the task.

Back to the OP, contact Dan Hawes (if you haven't already done so), if he can't help he will know someone who can
    Last edited by scouser; 09-06-2014 at 09:38 PM. Reason: because saying what I really thought is probably against forum rules

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    davidmacbeth, your problem when you post anything (in my opinion) is that many people are used to your frivolous and pretty much idiotic comments. If you ever say anything that is correct, no one knows simply because your reputation precedes you and your words are treated in the same manner as the cries of the boy in Aesop's tale.

That said, peter nap has plenty of experience of filing FOIA requests in Virginia, Grapeshot and skidmark are the sticker people (as well as many other activities that no one hears about), but I've never seen peter nap hand a sticker to anyone. Doesn't mean he hasn't done so, just means I haven't seen him if he did.

As for him disparaging you, well he doesn't need to make you look like an idiot when your Creator was able to complete the task.

Back to the OP, contact Dan Hawes (if you haven't already done so), if he can't help he will know someone who can
    +1000
    Thanks Scouser, for saying what I wanted to.
    David.....Please go away until you have some positive input on Viginia OC
    So far, all you have succeded in perfecting. is being rude to those who do the hard work......nice
    Last edited by POPS VA; 09-07-2014 at 02:05 PM.
    "The greatest calamity which can befall us would be submission to a government of unlimited powers" Thomas Jefferson

Moving daughter around in Arlington (VA) but plan to spend a few days in and out of Leesburg. Have the cops there calmed down with OC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Moving daughter around in Arlington (VA) but plan to spend a few days in and out of Leesburg. Have the cops there calmed down with OC?

A few days ago I was walking out of a 7-11 parking lot when a Leesburg Police cruiser pulled up beside me. The officer said "Excuse me, sir".

Then he asked me what I was carrying and told me about his latest purchase. He said he had just bought a Glock longslide and couldn't wait to get it to the range. We talked guns for a few minutes, then he had to leave as there was a car behind him.

To quote one of my friends - 'Well there ya go". Got room on the plane for either my 5906 or 92FS. Sure is nice to visit OC states.

“Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

I am, as always, humbled, flattered, and honored. But if it were me, I wouldn't bother with FOIA; nuisance calls designed to cause problems for you, coupled with actually having to have dealt with the issue, is a good basis for a civil suit. You can go to the GDC, fill out a warrant in debt form naming "John Doe, representing person or persons unknown", as the defendant, then ask the clerk for a subpoena duces tecum form, which you fill out naming the appropriate agency as the witness with the records to be produced, and ask the clerk to issue it with service by the sheriff (extra twelve bucks). Once you find out who it is, then you correct the name of the defendant with a motion to correct misnomer, get the thing served, and presto, you've got a trial for damages!
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I am, as always, humbled, flattered, and honored. But if it were me, I wouldn't bother with FOIA; nuisance calls designed to cause problems for you, coupled with actually having to have dealt with the issue, is a good basis for a civil suit. You can go to the GDC, fill out a warrant in debt form naming "John Doe, representing person or persons unknown", as the defendant, then ask the clerk for a subpoena duces tecum form, which you fill out naming the appropriate agency as the witness with the records to be produced, and ask the clerk to issue it with service by the sheriff (extra twelve bucks). Once you find out who it is, then you correct the name of the defendant with a motion to correct misnomer, get the thing served, and presto, you've got a trial for damages!
    I'm often overwhelmed at the amount of useful information you provide Dan.

A question for user. GDC has a limit, without looking, 7500.00 I think. It the above case, how would one go about deciding on the amount in the filing ?

A question for user. GDC has a limit, without looking, 7500.00 I think. It the above case, how would one go about deciding on the amount in the filing ?
    That was long ago and far away. Last time I checked, it was $25,000, exclusive of costs, interest, and attorneys' fees. Ask for the maximum when it comes to general damages, you can't get more than you ask for, but you could always get less. ("General damages" means items for which you want reimbursement that aren't subject to specific cost analysis; as opposed to "special damages", such things as might be vouched for by receipts, invoices, etc.) Since the GDC functions primarily as a police crimes and creditors' court, we wouldn't leave the maximum jurisdictional amount at the $5,000.00 to which it was set when I started this stuff, could we? On the other hand, the maximum homestead exemption has been $5,000.00 since, I think, 1952, without any adjustment for inflation, since that's only designed to help debtors. The politicians know which side of the bread their butter's on, then, don't they?
    Last edited by user; 07-19-2015 at 03:32 PM.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post

I wasn't aware that there were problems afoot in Arlington (though that wouldn't surprise me in that bastion of left-leaning folk) and Leesburg (a yuppie-discovered town).

Please enjoy your stay while here.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Was going to pass through (including MD-locked in trunk) omw to Fort Necessity & Flight 93 memorial in PA. Plan to take the White's Ferry.

-Thomas Hobbes 1651