• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Leesburg/Loudoun County Lawyer

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I am, as always, humbled, flattered, and honored. But if it were me, I wouldn't bother with FOIA; nuisance calls designed to cause problems for you, coupled with actually having to have dealt with the issue, is a good basis for a civil suit. You can go to the GDC, fill out a warrant in debt form naming "John Doe, representing person or persons unknown", as the defendant, then ask the clerk for a subpoena duces tecum form, which you fill out naming the appropriate agency as the witness with the records to be produced, and ask the clerk to issue it with service by the sheriff (extra twelve bucks). Once you find out who it is, then you correct the name of the defendant with a motion to correct misnomer, get the thing served, and presto, you've got a trial for damages!

I'm often overwhelmed at the amount of useful information you provide Dan.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A question for user. GDC has a limit, without looking, 7500.00 I think. It the above case, how would one go about deciding on the amount in the filing ?

user

Accomplished Advocate
A question for user. GDC has a limit, without looking, 7500.00 I think. It the above case, how would one go about deciding on the amount in the filing ?

That was long ago and far away. Last time I checked, it was $25,000, exclusive of costs, interest, and attorneys' fees. Ask for the maximum when it comes to general damages, you can't get more than you ask for, but you could always get less. ("General damages" means items for which you want reimbursement that aren't subject to specific cost analysis; as opposed to "special damages", such things as might be vouched for by receipts, invoices, etc.) Since the GDC functions primarily as a police crimes and creditors' court, we wouldn't leave the maximum jurisdictional amount at the $5,000.00 to which it was set when I started this stuff, could we? On the other hand, the maximum homestead exemption has been $5,000.00 since, I think, 1952, without any adjustment for inflation, since that's only designed to help debtors. The politicians know which side of the bread their butter's on, then, don't they?

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Moving daughter around in Arlington (VA) but plan to spend a few days in and out of Leesburg. Have the cops there calmed down with OC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't aware that there were problems afoot in Arlington (though that wouldn't surprise me in that bastion of left-leaning folk) and Leesburg (a yuppie-discovered town).

Please enjoy your stay while here.

HPmatt

Was going to pass through (including MD-locked in trunk) omw to Fort Necessity & Flight 93 memorial in PA. Plan to take the White's Ferry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk