• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Canceled My Sam's Club Membership

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Makes sense to me. The manager is about to need to explain to his boss that he violated corporate policy and the customer canceled his membership pending the resolution.

Lovenox

Alright, dude. I don't know if you're being intentionally dense or what. Each time this happened I instructed the employee to get the manager. Each time I spoke with one if their many MOD's. The mod then verified the company policy and informed the employee.
But you're right. Because of a rogue employee I'm being unethical in expecting a company to follow their own policy. Must be nice to be so flexible.

Corporate policy or not you have an obligation to follow the MOD, Store Manager's directives at that point in time. They are the captain the helm so to speak. Get outside then argue w/ the corporate headshed. Now I must temper my statement by saying that I don't agree with management's two faced approach and it indicates a willful disobedience of corporate policy. In addition, retail has a traditionally high turn over rate and it could be new management that DON'T FULLY COMPREHEND an incident that rarely comes up.

Lovenox

Makes sense to me. The manager is about to need to explain to his boss that he violated corporate policy and the customer canceled his membership pending the resolution.

Correct. But that is NOT your fight so don't make it so. Get your ass outside and call corporate. If this roque MOD with an anti-agenda calls the cops and says you are trespassing do you really think the cop is going to stick around for a call from the corporate office. Nope. He is going to say ,"Sir, you heard the MANAGER now please leave the premises or I am going to have to cite/arrest you." In other words do your lawyering within the wishes of the CORPORATE rep even if he/she is in the wrong. You will look that much better to the corporate headshed.

decklin

Correct. But that is NOT your fight so don't make it so. Get your ass outside and call corporate. If this roque MOD with an anti-agenda calls the cops and says you are trespassing do you really think the cop is going to stick around for a call from the corporate office. Nope. He is going to say ,"Sir, you heard the MANAGER now please leave the premises or I am going to have to cite/arrest you." In other words do your lawyering within the wishes of the CORPORATE rep even if he/she is in the wrong. You will look that much better to the corporate headshed.

Please point out in any of my posts where I was asked to leave.

XD40sc

Well that's your opinion. I would rather not be so wishy-washy when it comes to my Rights but you go right ahead.
I am also a firm believer in quality customer service and he did not hold true to his word. If he had been straight with me from the start this wouldn't be a problem.
I would rather spend my money elsewhere.

Well yes it is my opinion.

I also expect and demand quality customer service, but to allow a single employee at sams to send you off the deep end is really an irrational response. That guy doesn't give a damn about your, and the fact your created such a scene in cancelling our membership, etc., means he won. He played you like a cheap fiddle.

And based on my experience comparing commonly purchased items at Sam's vs. any retail grocery chain, you will be spending your money elsewhere, and probably 20% more of your money.

And that is my opinion :dude:

And when you enter private property, they also have rights, so your "protect my rights" doesn't carry the weight it does on your property or public property.

Last edited:

Mainsail

So Sam's policy is neutral on firearms if I read that correct, they enforce state law.

Uh, since when does a privately owned company enforce state law?

They may follow it, respect it, encourage it, but they do NOT enforce law.

Words have meanings; your argument loses credibility when you use the wrong ones.

Last edited:

Lovenox

Please point out in any of my posts where I was asked to leave.

It of course is IMPLIED that if you didn't want to comply with their wishes then it was your OBLIGATION to leave the store not stand there in a ******* contest with the MOD or other company employee. In the end the MOD might have been wrong (they were) but that isn't your fight. Again, had they called the cops you would have found yourself in a place that wouldn't have been good for you. Do the right thing: step one get outside and call corporate. You will be the better man for it and might win some converts.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
It of course is IMPLIED that if you didn't want to comply with their wishes then it was your OBLIGATION to leave the store not stand there in a ******* contest with the MOD or other company employee. In the end the MOD might have been wrong (they were) but that isn't your fight. Again, had they called the cops you would have found yourself in a place that wouldn't have been good for you. Do the right thing: step one get outside and call corporate. You will be the better man for it and might win some converts.

The first question out of the cop would be: "At what point did you tell him to leave?"

The management consensually agreed to a conversation.

decklin

I'm done telling you to read the original post. Your reading comprehension sucks and apparently you like to create new story lines out of thin air. Funny, I don't remember you being there.

Baked on Grease

Sam's club will miss your $50 bucks in 2014.

In fact I think their stock value may take a hit.

But hey, it made you feel good and was cheaper than therapy ;)
I currently work for Sams Club, a major center of the profit for many smaller clubs (less than $20mil in total revenue per year) comes squarely from membership fees. Sams makes very little profit from selling items, so the membership fees are a big boost to their bottom line. They pound membership and treating the members like royalty into the employees daily. If Sam Walton were still around that manager would not be working there any longer and OP would get a free Plus membership at least.

To the OP, that was definitely a rogue manager. Sams even lets their employees carry according to the Code of Conduct and Global Ethics guidebooks that corporate issues. There is not a single mention of firearms anywhere in them... nor even a mention of weapons. Actions are prohibited, not objects. While I personally think you may have gone overboard asking for a refund of all past purchases, definitely asking for all past membership fees will get their attention big time. Cause a st8nk but be polite, when you have a legitimate concern and are nice about it to people trying to resolve it favorably to you they many times go above and beyond for you. Be mean and spiteful and they will respond in kind.

It's not right, but it's reality.

OC for ME

I currently work for Sams Club, a major center of the profit for many smaller clubs (less than $20mil in total revenue per year) comes squarely from membership fees. Sams makes very little profit from selling items, so the membership fees are a big boost to their bottom line. They pound membership and treating the members like royalty into the employees daily. If Sam Walton were still around that manager would not be working there any longer and OP would get a free Plus membership at least.

To the OP, that was definitely a rogue manager. Sams even lets their employees carry according to the Code of Conduct and Global Ethics guidebooks that corporate issues. There is not a single mention of firearms anywhere in them... nor even a mention of weapons. Actions are prohibited, not objects. While I personally think you may have gone overboard asking for a refund of all past purchases, definitely asking for all past membership fees will get their attention big time. Cause a st8nk but be polite, when you have a legitimate concern and are nice about it to people trying to resolve it favorably to you they many times go above and beyond for you. Be mean and spiteful and they will respond in kind.

Do any Sam's employees carry to the best of your knowledge? I have never seen a OC employee, all of them could be CC if they choose it seems.

fjpro2a

Confused

I can't seem to keep up with the flow of this thread. My head is spinning.
First of all, Decklin did a great job. Decklin, you have my support (although that may not mean much.) What always bothers me is when others try to micro-manage everything someone else did in an OC encounter/problem. For crying out loud, no one was there except Decklin. What concerns me most is the outcome. From what I've read, it appear as if Sam's Club is going to follow through and tell their employees that it follows State Law. Once that is done, Decklin, let us know if you return and discuss this with the employee(s) who initially made the wrong call.

decklin

Thanks for the info.

decklin

First of all, Decklin did a great job. Decklin, you have my support (although that may not mean much.) What always bothers me is when others try to micro-manage everything someone else did in an OC encounter/problem. For crying out loud, no one was there except Decklin. What concerns me most is the outcome. From what I've read, it appear as if Sam's Club is going to follow through and tell their employees that it follows State Law. Once that is done, Decklin, let us know if you return and discuss this with the employee(s) who initially made the wrong call.

Absolutely. I'll post all updates to this thread.
I can't figure out why some people here can't seem to wrap their heads around the details I have given. I work in retail and if I ever told a customer something that went against out policy I would be dealt with immediately. My company takes customer complaints very seriously.
We once wrote a $12k check to a customer for something we had absolutely nothing to do with.
So I don't see a problem asking for membership fees back along with the few hundred dollars I spent since my last conversation with the manager. That money was spent in bad faith after all.

Dave_pro2a

If accurate, that's pretty cool.

Build more Sam's Clubs and I'll switch from Costco ;)

decklin

Not much of an update but here it is. Just spoke with a man named Manfred in the customer service department of corporate. He verified the report was successfully submitted and the home office is currently investigating. Once the investigation is complete they will call me.

Baked on Grease

Do any Sam's employees carry to the best of your knowledge? I have never seen a OC employee, all of them could be CC if they choose it seems.
While firearms aren't specifically mentioned as prohibited, if I were to OC they could ding me on a dress code violation at least. If members complain vociferously enough they could get me on a creating unfriendly atomsphere (can't think of the correct term atm) for members I would hazard to guess. I have OC'd here when off the clock and just shopping with the family without anyone saying anything... assuming anyone even saw the full size 1911 on my hip anyhow.

I carry concealed while working and I know one other here who does likewise. Our manager knows and doesn't care so long as the members don't complain... but if properly concealed they will never have the opportunity to complain, right?

XD40sc

There are many who's first knee jerk reaction believes that Decklin did the right thing, as their reaction was based solely on "shall not be infringed"

However when they reflect on it, he has been "infringed", and the anti-gun loon won, and is now empowered to do the same to next person that happens to carry into his store, and the next, and the next, etc. In short the manager won even though he is not following the policies of the company.

Sorry, the OP had his emotions get away from him, and over reacted, and most importantly allowed this single individual to win. I'm sure the spectacle of him bring everything back and probably creating a scene at the returns desk got a few chuckles from this manager and only further empowered his agenda.

decklin

There are many who's first knee jerk reaction believes that Decklin did the right thing, as their reaction was based solely on "shall not be infringed"

However when they reflect on it, he has been "infringed", and the anti-gun loon won, and is now empowered to do the same to next person that happens to carry into his store, and the next, and the next, etc. In short the manager won even though he is not following the policies of the company.

Sorry, the OP had his emotions get away from him, and over reacted, and most importantly allowed this single individual to win. I'm sure the spectacle of him bring everything back and probably creating a scene at the returns desk got a few chuckles from this manager and only further empowered his agenda.

Creating a scene, huh. 'Cause there is no way I acted in a calm and collected manner, right? Why do you have such a resistance to actually reading and retaining any of the details I have posted? What makes you think this guy has won anything?
I am confident that corporate will find the manager was in the wrong and will be disciplined. At that point I will reinstate my membership and continue shopping with the knowledge that he will not try it again. There are several oc'ers that go there. Just because they haven't been confronted yet doesn't mean they won't.
I think this has a happened a couple of times to me now because it may have to do with the times that I go. I typically work weekends so I do my grocery shopping in the mornings and midday during the week. The typical customers are soccer moms and the elderly. I am usually the only male under 60 in the building. So I probably stand out and that could explain the extra attention.
I've never had a problem in the evenings or on the weekends. It's only been morning and midday excursions I've had a problem.

OC for ME

While firearms aren't specifically mentioned as prohibited, if I were to OC they could ding me on a dress code violation at least. If members complain vociferously enough they could get me on a creating unfriendly atomsphere (can't think of the correct term atm) for members I would hazard to guess. I have OC'd here when off the clock and just shopping with the family without anyone saying anything... assuming anyone even saw the full size 1911 on my hip anyhow.

I carry concealed while working and I know one other here who does likewise. Our manager knows and doesn't care so long as the members don't complain... but if properly concealed they will never have the opportunity to complain, right?
"Hostile workplace" is the HR buzz word.

Thanks.