• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oakland Police Say Officer Acted Within Policy Detaining Firefighter And His Kids

since9

Campaign Veteran
"Oakland Police Say Officer Acted Within Policy Detaining Firefighter And His Kids"

I wasn't aware it was policy to draw firearms upon initial contact with ANY civilian and his two children who are exhibiting zero signs of hostility.

The Oakland Police Department say's they're "transparent," but refuses to disclose their General Orders. I called them this morning and they responded, "General Orders are for internal use only. They are not for public dissemination."

Meanwhile, MOST police departments disclose their General Orders, like Davis California, about an hour away from Oakland:

C. Use of Lethal force is justified in the following circumstances:

1) An officer may use lethal force to protect themselves or
others from what they reasonably believe would be an
immediate threat of death or great bodily injury.

2) An officer may use lethal force to affect the arrest or
prevent the escape of a suspected felon where the officer
has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses an
imminent threat of death or great bodily injury to the
officer or others. Under such circumstances, a verbal
warning should precede the use of lethal force, where
feasible.​

My police department, for example, posts them online, in two sections: Operations Manual and Field Manual.

While drawing a firearm is not itself considered lethal force, it is nevertheless totally unwarranted when encountering a calm adult male accompanied by his two children, even if they are entering an open side door to a fire department. Heaven help the poor old grandmother who encounters a "transparent" Oakland police officer while returning through the side door of her house after taking out the garbage.

My question is this: What's REALLY going on here? Is it poor training? Is it aspirations of being a hero? Is it paralyzing fear?

If the latter, I would argue while it may have played a role in the cops drawing their firearms on an innocent man and his two children, it would only have resulted in what actually happened if it had been accompanied by poor training.

I suspect it may very well be that this is how they actually train their officers to respond, that this really is the policy of the Oakland Police Department. If so, they have some very serious system-wide issues.

Maverick9

Not saying it's accurate, but if you listen closely the officer did not draw his firearm, he just had his hand on it. IF there was a call in (which I kind of doubt) of a burglary in progress, then he handled it OK.

Primus

"Oakland Police Say Officer Acted Within Policy Detaining Firefighter And His Kids"

I wasn't aware it was policy to draw firearms upon initial contact with ANY civilian and his two children who are exhibiting zero signs of hostility.

The Oakland Police Department say's they're "transparent," but refuses to disclose their General Orders. I called them this morning and they responded, "General Orders are for internal use only. They are not for public dissemination."

Meanwhile, MOST police departments disclose their General Orders, like Davis California, about an hour away from Oakland:

C. Use of Lethal force is justified in the following circumstances:

1) An officer may use lethal force to protect themselves or
others from what they reasonably believe would be an
immediate threat of death or great bodily injury.

2) An officer may use lethal force to affect the arrest or
prevent the escape of a suspected felon where the officer
has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses an
imminent threat of death or great bodily injury to the
officer or others. Under such circumstances, a verbal
warning should precede the use of lethal force, where
feasible.​

My police department, for example, posts them online, in two sections: Operations Manual and Field Manual.

While drawing a firearm is not itself considered lethal force, it is nevertheless totally unwarranted when encountering a calm adult male accompanied by his two children, even if they are entering an open side door to a fire department. Heaven help the poor old grandmother who encounters a "transparent" Oakland police officer while returning through the side door of her house after taking out the garbage.

My question is this: What's REALLY going on here? Is it poor training? Is it aspirations of being a hero? Is it paralyzing fear?

If the latter, I would argue while it may have played a role in the cops drawing their firearms on an innocent man and his two children, it would only have resulted in what actually happened if it had been accompanied by poor training.

I suspect it may very well be that this is how they actually train their officers to respond, that this really is the policy of the Oakland Police Department. If so, they have some very serious system-wide issues.

Not saying it's accurate, but if you listen closely the officer did not draw his firearm, he just had his hand on it. IF there was a call in (which I kind of doubt) of a burglary in progress, then he handled it OK.

Good catch.

So the above op hub bub about lethal force is a bit over the top....

Also the video is titled the detainment was good.... Nothing about pointing guns at kids...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned

<snip>.

I've had cops draw their guns during a routine traffic stop (like 10 MPH speeding) on several occasions.
(even had a cop say I stole his badge that was on a lanyard..he found it on the ground).

So why not kids too? And cops are civilians too. I think its goofy.

I chastise them and told them that their behavior likely increases their chances of getting shot in the head...which I think is true.

Odd, I never get off with just a warning. :( But almost always win in court.:cool:

Last edited:

OC for ME

That video shows nothing. Thinking you will be shot is not the same as the cop pointing a gun at you. The FF thought wrong and has issues with cops in my view.

davidmcbeth

Banned
That video shows nothing. Thinking you will be shot is not the same as the cop pointing a gun at you. <snip>.

Which is not the same as being shot either ...

Of course, a gun pointed at you is worse than you thinking something.

Brandishing = pointing in my book

OC for ME

Which is not the same as being shot either ...

Of course, a gun pointed at you is worse than you thinking something.

Brandishing = pointing in my book
Did you see a gun pointed at the FF? I did not, hell, I didn't see much of anything other than darkness and vague shadowy humanoid forms. Cop didn't even curse. Much ado about nothing.