• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teenager Shot in Milwaukee. Shooter to be charged

davidmcbeth

Banned
A 15-year-old boy who was shot-and-killed by a man he was trying to rob in Milwaukee has been identified as Camron Powell. Police now say that Powell was part of a group that committed 35 hold-ups in the Milwaukee area in recent days. Powell was killed early Monday in a parking lot just south of the city's downtown. Officials said he was part of a group that was robbing another group when a 30-year-old West Allis man pulled a gun and shot Powell. The alleged shooter was briefly in custody before being released. He must still meet with prosecutors about possible charges. A vehicle was found near the shooting scene that was stolen in a car-jacking, and police said it had a glove similar to one found next to Powell after he was shot. Five teens in the alleged robbery ring have been arrested. An 18-year-old man, three boys, and a girl have been referred to the D-A's office for possible charges.

This story? ^^^ from link

The prosecutors already either have enough to get a charge to stick or they don't. Him talking to the prosecutor can only result in a bad result as far as that goes. IMO

Law abider

A 15-year-old boy who was shot-and-killed by a man he was trying to rob in Milwaukee has been identified as Camron Powell. Police now say that Powell was part of a group that committed 35 hold-ups in the Milwaukee area in recent days. Powell was killed early Monday in a parking lot just south of the city's downtown. Officials said he was part of a group that was robbing another group when a 30-year-old West Allis man pulled a gun and shot Powell. The alleged shooter was briefly in custody before being released. He must still meet with prosecutors about possible charges. A vehicle was found near the shooting scene that was stolen in a car-jacking, and police said it had a glove similar to one found next to Powell after he was shot. Five teens in the alleged robbery ring have been arrested. An 18-year-old man, three boys, and a girl have been referred to the D-A's office for possible charges.

This story? ^^^ from link

The prosecutors already either have enough to get a charge to stick or they don't. Him talking to the prosecutor can only result in a bad result as far as that goes. IMO

Needs to find a good 2A lawyer

davidmcbeth

Banned

Powell was allegedly a member of a ring responsible for up to 35 Milwaukee-area robberies when he was killed about 5:30 a.m. Monday at S. 2nd St. and W. National Ave., according to a news release from the Milwaukee Police Department.

He was with a group who allegedly tried to rob a 30-year-old West Allis man, who drew a gun and shot the teen, according to police. Powell had been previously arrested on charges related to armed robbery, auto theft, fleeing and theft.
from link above ^^

We'll see...

The Truth

First of all, where does it say the shooter will be charged? Hint: it doesn't.

Seems pretty open and shut to me.

Law abider

First of all, where does it say the shooter will be charged? Hint: it doesn't.

Seems pretty open and shut to me.

They are going to try to stick something on him. If he talks without a lawyer the possible charges could be made to stick. They know how to make an actual innocent person guilty. They want his gun. Anything to get his gun. They may get a mental health/psychological evaluation or some other thing in order to create a charge and stick it on him and viola! thou art guilty of...... When it is about a gun, nothing is shut.

XD40sc

What part of "He must still meet with prosecutors about possible charges" leads you to say he will be charged?

I suspect this is pretty standard.

XD40sc

They are going to try to stick something on him. If he talks without a lawyer the possible charges could be made to stick. They know how to make an actual innocent person guilty. They want his gun. Anything to get his gun. They may get a mental health/psychological evaluation or some other thing in order to create a charge and stick it on him and viola! thou art guilty of...... When it is about a gun, nothing is shut.

Good grief, take a chill pill.

Even the most justified self-defense shooting is going to be a legal hassle for the good guy. Same goes for any LEO in a clearly justified shooting, with witnesses, surveillance video, etc. It is a process that gives some integrity to our legal system.

Only in the movies does it end "good shoot, let's go get a beer"

davidmcbeth

Banned
Good grief, take a chill pill.

Even the most justified self-defense shooting is going to be a legal hassle for the good guy. Same goes for any LEO in a clearly justified shooting, with witnesses, surveillance video, etc. It is a process that gives some integrity to our legal system.

Only in the movies does it end "good shoot, let's go get a beer"

The shooter should not talk to the cops ... Law Abider is correct .. if they want to talk to you, they want to hang you on something

The Truth

Seems to me that if there was any illegal aspect in the killing he would still be detained, not free to go. He probably gave an accurate description of what happened and was subsequently released with the warning, "If we smell any fishy business we will call you back in*."

*get in touch with your lawyer

pkbites

Some of you are painfully ignorant. I hope none of you ever have to use lethal force.

The police don't decide solely whether or not a shooting is justified. Cases like this get what is called a DA referral. If it is an order in (it will be) you have to go to it. Bringing your attorney is your choice.

This is not legal advice, I am not a lawyer.

The Truth

I'm fully aware of the concept of a DA or in my case a Commonwealth Attorney. You also cannot be ignorant of the fact that an almost immediate release is a positive thing both in the moment and in regards to any case against you - especially if you used lethal force legitimately.

I am also aware of the flawed justice system.

The Truth shall set you free, more often than not.

Primus

He did make it. Read closely. Then backwards and capitalize every third consonant and second vowel. Then read out loud 3 times. It'll sink in.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

The Truth

htuRt lO NiAlp eHt tSUj ro TI eEs uOy Sa htURt ehT

You're finally right about something - it does make more sense that way.

The Truth

You-Cant-Handle-the-Truth1.jpg