• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teenager Shot in Milwaukee. Shooter to be charged

MKEgal

XD40sc said:
What part of "He must still meet with prosecutors about possible charges" leads you to say he will be charged?
Because this is Milwaukee, and the police admin (& some on the street) & DA are very anti-citizen.

Because they'll try to get him to say anything that they can possibly use to charge him with some crime. (See point #1.)

Because even when he's not charged, or when he goes to trial & the jury rightfully says it was self-defense, he'll still have to go to court to get a judge to order the return of his property.

He needs to get a good lawyer, and if he can't get one before this meeting he's being forced to attend he should say absolutely nothing other than, "I want my lawyer, & I will not talk until s/he is present to advise me".
Well, and perhaps, "I cannot afford a lawyer, so appoint one for me now".

Kopis

"I want my lawyer, & I will not talk until s/he is present to advise me".
Well, and perhaps, "I cannot afford a lawyer, so appoint one for me now".

^ this is all he should say followed by "am i free to go?" sadly, you seem to have two choices these days... kill your attacker/criminal or spend your life in jail/defending yourself.

Law abider

Some of you are painfully ignorant. I hope none of you ever have to use lethal force.

The police don't decide solely whether or not a shooting is justified. Cases like this get what is called a DA referral. If it is an order in (it will be) you have to go to it. Bringing your attorney is your choice.

This is not legal advice, I am not a lawyer.

True. I hope lethal force is NEVER Needed Hope I NEVER need to use it.
I hope police take a NEUTRAL position when reporting the incident in detail to the DA. Too many don't believe citizens should carry or have a right to carry. ( I didn't say you PKBITES. I have been corrected and told you are a good officer.) But does this shooter first go to jail to be booked and then released or is allowed to go home?

OC for ME

... Only in the movies does it end "good shoot, let's go get a beer"
Maybe the movies I your state, in Missouri ...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=homeowner+justified+shooting+in+st+louis

It sounds like Milwaukee may be like your state.

Based only on news reports, it appears to me that the cops are pretty good about determining a justified SD, by a citizen, when there is very little ambiguity. Even the cops in the GZ incident, who got thrown under the bus, knew a justified SD event when they saw one. If I recall, 24 to 48 hours to make that determination. I suspect that most cop shops are on par with that timeline.

pkbites

But does this shooter first go to jail to be booked and then released or is allowed to go home?

Every situation is different. There have been a couple of self defense shootings in Wisconsin lately where the shooter was justified and there was no arrest, prosecution, etc.. Some posters here are forgetting about them and act like everytime someone has to use force they go to jail. It's simply not true.

Oh, and unless you are actually in custody you are not entitled to have an attorney appointed to you. You certainly can refuse to talk and say you're not making a statement until you consult an attorney. So if an officer is just do investigatory questioning but you're free to go you're not entitled to have a lawyer appointed to you.

This is not legal advice, I am not an attorney.

Law abider

Every situation is different. There have been a couple of self defense shootings in Wisconsin lately where the shooter was justified and there was no arrest, prosecution, etc.. Some posters here are forgetting about them and act like everytime someone has to use force they go to jail. It's simply not true.

Oh, and unless you are actually in custody you are not entitled to have an attorney appointed to you. You certainly can refuse to talk and say you're not making a statement until you consult an attorney. So if an officer is just do investigatory questioning but you're free to go you're not entitled to have a lawyer appointed to you.

This is not legal advice, I am not an attorney.

Where the shootings were justified, who made that judgement call? Was it the officer at the scene or someone else in authority say like the chief of police/sheriff?