• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio judges can just carry now? pew pew pew - exempt themselves from the law

The Truth

To protect themselves from all the other civilian scum that are allowed to conceal carry in the courtroom.

Oh wait...

Fallschirjmäger

Sometimes, those with grievances aren't always polite enough to only air said grievances within the halls of justice and have been known to seek out those they feel they have been wronged by in their communities and domiciles.

That said... this should have been accomplished legislatively rather than 'making law from the bench'.
The Georgia Legislature exempted Judged (as well as a host of others) from being required to have a license to carry as well as being exempted from otherwise unauthorized locations.

JmE

The judges were pretty slick about it... They knew that if they required licenses for themselves then they'd be under the same privilege as other CHL holding Ohioans. Any special carve out for them would require legislative action. Judges need to realize that just as they don't cotton to giving up individual sovereignty as judges, other individuals don't like it very much either. It's natural for any individual to seek Liberty. The reasoning given by Judge Harsha in the article quote is the same reasoning for all of us. It's not only true of judges. When judges don't have the same skin in the game as the rest of us then they risk losing perspective in their case ruling on the subject. This is true for almost any carve out in rules, laws, or procedures.

davidmcbeth

Banned
One must remember most Judges are lawyers first! Enough said. :(

"Do as I say! Not as I do."

I told a judge today that if he ruled the way that he wanted the opposing party to rule then the end of our free republic is dead.

When judges can do what ordinary citizens cannot, then this too is the beginning of the end for a free society.

Maverick9

The court’s order exempts the judges from obtaining firearms training

Wait...how do we know they'll be able to hit what they're aiming at, know which end of the gun to point at the BG, how to load it, how to clean it and not shoot themselves?