• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Guns at Great American Ballpark

samkent

It was just on the news.
Metal detectors at all entrances.

Isn't this a publicly owned facility?
Do they lease it to the Cincinnati Reds?
Does that make a difference?

JediSkipdogg

Yes, it's leased to the Reds. Same as Paul Brown Stadium (aka Bengals) when they announced no guns last year. Both are owned by the county but leased to the respective teams. The Reds lease goes till 2037 and the Bengals till 2026.

2923.126 grants them both....

(a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.

Brian D.

At least some of the minor league ball parks within Ohio are posted in the exact same way. Many were built with public dollars but are now leased to the team's ownership. Pretty sure that the Cleveland Indians facility is also a gun-free zone.

JmE

I've been thinking about that too. I wonder if fans could get the ballpark to install arms lockers.

The Truth

There are a lot of times I get pissed I have to disarm, but a pro ball game? Can't you just leave the piece in the truck?

The Truth

Yes, but instead I choose to go places that treat me better than that.

I can respect that, I guess I'm just a big enough baseball fan that I'd feel OK walking the 100 yards from my truck to the entrance without my sidearm so that I may enjoy a nice ball game - although someone would have to drag my dead body to GAB because I'm not a big Reds fan. I do like Devin Mesoraco and Aroldis Chapman, however.

JmE

I don't recall ever driving to the ballpark and parking that close. I always had a bit of a walk through the city to get to it. Unless they provide lock boxes or remove the prohibition, I won't be attending any games.

What are pedestrians supposed to do with their sidearms if there are no lock boxes?

Last edited:

JediSkipdogg

I don't recall ever driving to the ballpark and parking that close. I always had a bit of a walk through the city to get to it. Unless they provide lock boxes or remove the prohibition, I won't be attending any games.

What are pedestrians supposed to do with their sidearms if there are no lock boxes?

It's always been a prohibited zone, so it's nothing new. They've had signs there ever since I can recall that stadium being built.

JmE

It's always been a prohibited zone, so it's nothing new. They've had signs there ever since I can recall that stadium being built.

And I didn't say that it wasn't. Are you suggesting that nobody carried anyway? With detectors, it will be more difficult for those who carried to continue to do so. I was replying to comments about leaving a handgun in the vehicle.

Now, if you want to comment on the actual substance of my post... Would you be in favor of lock boxes at the ballpark?

The Truth

I am absolutely in favor of lock boxes. I can think of no logical reason to argue in the negative, from my perspective anyway.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
And I didn't say that it wasn't. Are you suggesting that nobody carried anyway? With detectors, it will be more difficult for those who carried to continue to do so. I was replying to comments about leaving a handgun in the vehicle.

Now, if you want to comment on the actual substance of my post... Would you be in favor of lock boxes at the ballpark?
YES!!!!!

And lock boxes at court houses....

And lock boxes at __________. (you fill in the blank.)

Last edited:

JmE

I'm usually not in favor of more laws but would certainly get behind a law that required any government owned or leased building (in which arms were prohibited) to have publicly accessible lock boxes available,

JediSkipdogg

I'm suggesting law abiding people probably didn't carry. At least hopefully they didn't.

I'm usually not in favor of more laws but would certainly get behind a law that required any government owned or leased building (in which arms were prohibited) to have publicly accessible lock boxes available,

From a government standpoint or a private standpoint? Private no. Government yes. Unfortunately I doubt that would ever pass from a financial standpoint. I believe we'd have a better chance passing that government entities (minus a few select ones) cannot be no carry zones at all. Then the second part is once it's government owned, it's government owned. Any private entity that leases it for a day or even multiple years is prohibited from posting it. I actually believe that is one of the bills currently sitting in the Ohio House waiting for regular sessions in November to be talked about.

JmE

From a government standpoint or a private standpoint?

The answer to that question was clearly in my post and you quoted it; "any government owned or leased building (in which arms were prohibited)." Thanks for answering the questions posed.