• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Owen Martin - NH gunsmith custom-builds AK-47s much better than the originals

since9

Campaign Veteran
Linky.

He doesn't just make 'em. He makes 'em better.

Might be worthwhile keeping in the back of your head, given the near extinction of AK-47 sales here in the U.S. due to sanctions against Russia.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I doubt he builds them from scratch ... likely just a builder from parts guy (for the most part).

Go ahead an build one (ie using parts but receiver that you make - no one expects to have all the machinery needed to make every single part) .. its a heck of alot harder than a AR. Still fun though .. just takes about 4x the effort ... at least from my experience (or I am so used to making the ARs I can do them in my sleep).

Customization with AKs ... not as variable as ARs I would think. There's a reason why ARs are so popular....so many changes one can make to them...

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
"Don't worry most AK's come from Romania, and other countries." -- golddigger14s

Yeah...but Romania got theirs from Albania, and Albania doesn't have any more! Ran out YEARS ago! ;-)

When they had that revolution a few years ago in Albania, citizens raided the armories and took ALL the guns & ammo home. I recall seeing a kid dragging (it was on 2 small wheels) a heavy-caliber (12.7mm "Dushka"?) machine gun down the sidewalk. Just about everyone in Albania armed themselves back then...no way to know for sure how many households have how many guns -- or crates of ammo. I guess they want to be ready for the next Albania-Kosovo-Bosnia conflict...as the last one was a Heads Up for them.

So much for "Can't we all just get along?"

Answer: No, we can't. Never will.

Last edited: