• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio's open-carry gun laws prompts group to call out Kroger

Midwest

Looks like they are at it again, except now they are going to embarrass and harass Kroger by putting in ads in the Cincinnati Enquirer showing people carrying rifles into Kroger. This is of course meant to intimidate Kroger into changing their policy. And could possibly making this an issue in Ohio regarding open carry laws as well.

Well guess what? I have been a longtime Kroger shopper and I have never seen anyone walk in with a rifle in any Kroger in Kentucky or Ohio.

I think and believe that the stunts that the 'open carry' groups pulled in Texas with their foolishness of carrying rifles into supermarkets and restaurants to make a political point could now be affecting gun law abiding gun owners in Ohio.

Their antics in Texas have prompted the Bloomberg funded group Mom's Demand Action to target Kroger in Ohio because Kroger is based in Cincinnati. The last thing for any company would want is to have negative publicity in advertisements like Bloomberg's funded group is planning to do. And if Kroger does cave in because the actions of outside groups, law abiding gun owners who shop at Kroger could be the biggest to lose.

Ohio's open-carry gun laws prompts group to call out Kroger

www.wlwt.com/news/ohios-opencarry-gun-laws-prompts-group-to-call-out-kroger/27887524#!bPV417

"CINCINNATI —Concern over Ohio's open-carry law for guns prompted the group Moms Demand Action to buy ads in the Cincinnati Enquirer.

“I don't expect when I go into Kroger to grocery shop to have to confront somebody with an assault weapon or a long gun,” Michele Mueller, with Moms Demand Action said.

WLWT asked Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine about the issue. He said it would have to be addressed by the state Legislature"

JmE

WLWT asked Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine about the issue. He said it would have to be addressed by the state Legislature

The legislature might have a tough time doing that. The thin thread by which Ohio's privilege to license and restrict concealed carry depends upon open carry being largely untouched so as to not run afoul of Ohio's Constitution. Unless Ohio courts are going to usurp that constitution, it would take a constitutional amendment to restrict open carry that much and still retain the ability to license and restrict concealed carry as much as Ohio currently does.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
The legislature might have a tough time doing that. The thin thread by which Ohio's privilege to license and restrict concealed carry depends upon open carry being largely untouched so as to not run afoul of Ohio's Constitution. Unless Ohio courts are going to usurp that constitution, it would take a constitutional amendment to restrict open carry that much and still retain the ability to license and restrict concealed carry as much as Ohio currently does.
But, now that the Second Amendment applies to the states under the federal Constitution, changing the Ohio Constitution could be difficult.

Call Kroger and thank them......

Midwest

Just to let everyone know that this isn't just a Cincinnati Ohio story anymore. It has gone international. This is from RT an International News Company.

NRA goes head-to-head against billionaire Bloomberg’s anti-gun campaign

http://rt.com/usa/185400-nra-bloomberg-guns-krogers/

" Bloomberg, the media magnate and former New York City mayor, has unveiled his latest attack on American gun owners, taking the battle to where it will be felt the most: corporate profits. Kroger, the largest grocery franchise in the United States, is one of many American companies that permits its customers to openly carry guns in its stores. While the NRA says such policies serve to protect individuals in the event of a shooting spree, Bloomberg’s Everytown for Gun Safety organization is against such a practice. "

And for those who are following what the local Cincinnati stations are reporting. This is from Fox 19 out of Cincinnati.

Moms group calls out Kroger over gun policy

http://www.fox19.com/story/26453731/group-asks-kroger-to-ban-its-customers-from-openly-carrying-guns

"Customers are allowed to shop in Kroger with a gun, but not bring an ice cream cone from outside the store or shop shirtless. That's what these ads are highlighting, and Michele Mueller says it doesn't make sense."

Well does anyone think it is just about carrying rifles into the store...read on. It is about changing Ohio's gun laws as well...read what this Michele Mueller said.

"The ads aren't just hitting local newspapers and national outlets. Mueller says they aren't anti-gun, they're anti-gun violence. She feels they could help educate Americans on lax state laws.

"Ohio's laws for open carry does not require a background check, no permits needed, no age limit, and no training requirements," said Mueller. "

So that is what it is about. To make Kroger change their policy and to "educate" about "lax' gun laws in Ohio". No doubt this is out of Bloomberg's talking points.
I'm sure we know what they mean about "educate" which means "legislate".

Last edited: