• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shot in the head at Roanoke gun range

solus

marshaul, et al., delicately is not the methodology to use but inquire directly and nonjudgmentally to ascertain the individual's ideation and if they have a plan, if they profess to what you believe is a viable plan to end their life, then a decision is made to either report to appropriate authorities to intervene in the individual's life. telling the individual they have so much to live for, etc., at this point is not going to work if they are at the point to implement their plan!

and making an anonymous phone call to some stranger miles away...I am sure there are some who are on the cusp and been assisted to find appropriate treatment, but the individual about to implement their plan is only telling them where their remains can be located.

ipse

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
marshaul, et al., delicately is not the methodology to use but inquire directly and nonjudgmentally to ascertain the individual's ideation and if they have a plan, if they profess to what you believe is a viable plan to end their life, then a decision is made to either report to appropriate authorities to intervene in the individual's life. telling the individual they have so much to live for, etc., at this point is not going to work if they are at the point to implement their plan!

and making an anonymous phone call to some stranger miles away...I am sure there are some who are on the cusp and been assisted to find appropriate treatment, but the individual about to implement their plan is only telling them where their remains can be located.

Thanks for the advice. I did just hear someone the other day say the hotline saved their life. YMMV.

The Truth

I think I understand why marshaul would is saying this man is an ass. Suicide is such a selfish act - maybe the most selfish act - so to do it in a public place is almost hypocrisy in a way. It's the most selfish, personal thing you could ever do yet you do it in a place where others will be responsible and affected by your act both physically in a direct way and maybe through rights restrictions in the form of legislation.

Why would a guy want to die at a gun range? I mean, you're in Roanoke. Why pay money to die at a crappy range in NW Roanoke of all places (really?) when you could climb to the top of McAfee's Knob and do it, or Sharp Top, or any other tranquil and serene place on the blue ridge that's about 10 minutes away.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think I understand why marshaul would is saying this man is an ass. Suicide is such a selfish act - maybe the most selfish act - so to do it in a public place is almost hypocrisy in a way. It's the most selfish, personal thing you could ever do yet you do it in a place where others will be responsible and affected by your act both physically in a direct way and maybe through rights restrictions in the form of legislation.

Why would a guy want to die at a gun range? I mean, you're in Roanoke. Why pay money to die at a crappy range in NW Roanoke of all places (really?) when you could climb to the top of McAfee's Knob and do it, or Sharp Top, or any other tranquil and serene place on the blue ridge that's about 10 minutes away.
Because it is not making a statement if there is no one there to see and hear.

solus

it is a shame you feel the need to regurgitate and unintentionally perpetrating the 'suicide is selfish act' myth. it shows a complete lack of an understanding of the rational behind the individual's actions in ending their life due to a significant mental disorder which is causing significant pain and discomfort. I hope you would take the time to enlighten yourself on al gores marvelous invention so you might become educated about this tragic human event.

finally, one person's need for tranquility, to another's wishing to pass in a place they enjoy is an individual perspective.

ipse

The Truth

it is a shame you feel the need to regurgitate and unintentionally perpetrating the 'suicide is selfish act' myth. it shows a complete lack of an understanding of the rational behind the individual's actions in ending their life due to a significant mental disorder which is causing significant pain and discomfort. I hope you would take the time to enlighten yourself on al gores marvelous invention so you might become educated about this tragic human event.

finally, one person's need for tranquility, to another's wishing to pass in a place they enjoy is an individual perspective.

ipse

All I can really say is I am speaking of my own view of suicide, as I cannot possibly know or understand anyone else's perspective because of the fundamentally selfish and personal nature of the act. It's not that I choose not to. I don't believe anyone commits suicide for anyone but themselves. It is a way to end personal pain, even if that pain is perceived as others' pain. That is a delusion. I find it difficult to legitimize delusions, especially others' delusions.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I don't think there's anything inherently selfish about suicide, but it's certainly selfish to shoot yourself at a gun range or jump in front of a subway.

wimwag

Wow, who hasn't called an ass an ass on the Internet? Don't want us to call you an ass? Don't be an ass.

It's not that you aren't on the same page. It's that you're reading a different book.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Totally off topic. And go **** yourself.

What just happened here? I think you misread my post and somehow took it personally. But then, only as ass would go off half-cocked like that.

WhatTimeIsIt?

All I can really say is I am speaking of my own view of suicide, as I cannot possibly know or understand anyone else's perspective because of the fundamentally selfish and personal nature of the act. It's not that I choose not to. I don't believe anyone commits suicide for anyone but themselves. It is a way to end personal pain, even if that pain is perceived as others' pain. That is a delusion. I find it difficult to legitimize delusions, especially others' delusions.

Suicide is generally the most selfless act there is. Selfishness is always pursuing one's own best interest, which is to live a long, happy, and healthy life. Immediate death is the exact opposite of that, therefore it is incredibly selfless.

OC for ME

No man is a island...suicide is the ultimate in selfishness.

Now, if you are a island, then who cares whether or not you "lash out" you got nobody, you are a island.

All those calls for we (me) to brush up on my suicidal tendencies recognition skills...
nono.gif

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Suicide is generally the most selfless act there is. Selfishness is always pursuing one's own best interest, which is to live a long, happy, and healthy life. Immediate death is the exact opposite of that, therefore it is incredibly selfless.

Well, that isn't right either. You've just imposed your value ("interest") structure on them, which is itself a selfish act.

If an individual decides it's in his best interest to die, it isn't within your purview to tell him what his interests actually are. That's an incredibly arrogant thing to attempt. What if he has terminal cancer? What if he is Viking and his religion demands his glorious death in battle?

OC for ME

Well, that isn't right either. You've just imposed your value ("interest") structure on them, which is itself a selfish act.

If an individual decides it's in his best interest to die, it isn't within your purview to tell him what his interests actually are. That's an incredibly arrogant thing to attempt. What if he has terminal cancer? What if he is Viking and his religion demands his glorious death in battle?
The Vikings won yesterday, big time, no suicide necessary.

We all have a right to be selfish.

papa bear

But you wouldn't call him an "ass" outright. Which is my point exactly.

I would tell he is an ass and a waste of air, and how we are better off with out him. That goes for any one else that wants to end themselves

Suicide is Darwinism in action. Let's hope they do it before they bred