• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Live-On-The-Green, Nashville

TFred

Hello,

I am completely ignorant on TN law regarding public spaces. Friend of mine tried to attend tonight's event in Nashville. Apparently at the security perimeter, local cop asked to search her bag for "any weapons, alcohol, and pepper spray/mace." She was carrying some pepper spray, and was denied entry. Rather than give up her protection during the late-night walk back to her car, she chose to leave.

So, my questions are:

Aren't there any protections against such rules or policies on public property? Assuming it is legal to possess and carry pepper spray, how can they deny this at what appears to be a city-owned park?

The event website does not list firearms or pepper spray among the prohibited items, were the local cops within their authority to deny her entry for carrying pepper spray?

Basically, was this a legal encounter?

Thanks for any insight.

TFred

rightwinglibertarian

while I don't know TN laws this applies to all 50 states. Never give an LEO permission to search your bag. State categorically, preferably with an audio recorder "I do not consent to a search of my person or property". Giving up any right is never wise including the Fourth Amendment.

davidmcbeth

Banned
OP should start reading .... learn the law by first reading it ... trust your thoughts to strangers' ideas and trouble may be the result.

TFred

OP should start reading .... learn the law by first reading it ... trust your thoughts to strangers' ideas and trouble may be the result.
Well guess what: This incident came up tonight, unexpectedly, and I wanted to get some quick answers. Maybe you have time to study and learn the laws of all 50 states, I have better things to do with my time. I am a contributing member of this community, and I know that when I need fast answers that will at a minimum point me in the right direction should I need to do more extensive research, this is a good place to start, and I trust what may be posted here enough to get me started.

Over time you tend to learn who adds value to the forum, and who detracts. In fact, it's this kind of c**p that makes me really wonder how it is that you are still allowed to post here. You can bet your last dollar that wouldn't be the case if it ever came to a vote.

TFred

Kopis

i dont like going to games in downtown memphis just for that reason. The walk back to the car is often long, through alleys and late at night. I have no way to defend myself since i cant carry a firearm to the fedex forum.